Sun sports columnist Pat Dooley takes a quick look at the first half of Saturday night’s Florida-Kentucky game.
* I’m not sure I have seen a defense at Florida tackle as poorly as the Gators did and still only give up seven points in a half. Kentucky rushed for 161 yards because of too many whiffs both of quarterback Terry Wilson and running back Benny Snell Jr. But a fumble recovery and an interception kept the Wildcats from scoring after their opening drive.
* It didn’t look good for defensive back Marco Wilson after he went down with a knee injury on the second play of the game. Florida has a lot of young cornerbacks, but nobody replacing Wilson will be anywhere near as good as he is. It’s a major blow for a defense that was counting on two lockdown corners.
* The running game continues to be an issue, as Florida’s tailbacks managed only 27 yards on eight carries. You can’t run where there are no holes. It was a weird half in that the two teams only had 56 plays combined. Florida had 44 plays in the first half a week ago, but only 29 Saturday night.
We are the weaker team. We can’t run. They can run all over us and we can’t tackle when we get there!! Long season …
Where is the “elite” defense ???????
Our defense SUCKS. Very long season
There is a problem when the HC feels the Gators are doing ok at the half. No way Florida wins this if the defense stays on the field.
So once you all decide this experiment isn’t gonna work please
1. Replace Stricklin as AD – hire a gator!
2. Bring a gator is as hbc. Why are we trying to recreate Mississippi state?
Mullen has been a Gator fan since he was a boy, so what do you want?
Holy !!! Giving up 250+ on the ground ???? 7/8 on 3rd down ?? OMG Definitely going to be a very long season !!!!!!
This is how well playing cupcakes in the opener prepares a team for big boy football.
I don’t understand how we make good teams look great? I am questioning our level of talent
Soft on both sides of the ball. Man handled on both lines. Could not tackle. Poor pass blocking. Could not tackle. Questionable throws by our QB. Questionable call by coaching staff. And could not tackle. Did I miss any thing?
Yeah – the two things we were promised – “relentless effort” and “fun”. KY had them, and we didn’t.
I am stunned that every single player on both O and D lines were dominated by their Kentucky counterpart. EVERY ONE, EVERY PLAY. Weak and overpowered all night by 2-3 star KY players, the Gators looked like children against men. Where are all the strength and conditioning gains? Where is the skill of playing the positions on either line of scrimmage? Who are these guys??? One thing is for sure, the coaches have not been doing their job teaching our players how to sustain their positions – in any way. They are awful; a top high school team may be able to score 30+ points against them. Relentless Effort? Nice moniker Dan. You and staff did a good job of impressing Gator Nation. Can you imagine our disappointment now, knowing that all the hype was a sham. This team cannot win against anybody with a pulse. And I thought McElwain was bad.