True or false?: Tennessee football and Georgia Bulldogs will each make the playoff
The SEC should be well-represented when the first College Football Playoff rankings are released Tuesday night. If the committee foremost values résumé, Tennessee and Georgia may form a 1-2 punch ahead of fellow undefeated teams like Ohio State and Michigan.
Alabama would earn a playoff bid if it wins out, so don't get too caught up in its ranking. The Crimson Tide has no margin for error, but would be in the field if it wins the SEC Championship. Also, one-loss Ole Miss is on the fringe of the playoff hunt.
On this episode of "SEC Football Unfiltered," a podcast from the USA TODAY Network, hosts Blake Toppmeyer and John Adams debate who should be No. 1, whether the SEC will qualify two playoff teams, and how Alabama should be viewed compared to TCU and Clemson, which are undefeated.
Here are some true-or-false rankings scenarios they consider:
MORE OPINIONS FROM TOPPMEYER AND ADAMS:Sign up for the SEC Unfiltered newsletter for exclusive columns delivered to your inbox
– SEC teams deserve the Nos. 1 and 2 spots in the CFP rankings. Verdict: TRUE. Tennessee should be ranked No. 1. Georgia should be No. 2.
– Alabama should be ranked ahead of TCU and Clemson. Verdict: FALSE.
– The SEC will put two teams in the playoff. Verdict: TRUE. (We learn toward Tennessee and Georgia being the two.)
– Tennessee being 8-0 is a bigger surprise than Texas A&M being 3-5. Verdict: TRUE.
Later in the episode
– Alabama-LSU is the second-fiddle game to Georgia-Tennessee this week. Is that an aberration or the start of a trend?
– Should everyone get their laughs in on Jimbo Fisher now? Is an A&M redemption tour coming in 2023? We're skeptical.
– Week 10 picks against the spread! Toppmeyer and Adams each went 3-3-1 in their picks against the spread last week. For the season, Adams is 22-28-1. Toppmeyer is 19-31-1.
South Carolina (-8) vs. Vanderbilt – Adams: South Carolina; Toppmeyer: South Carolina
Auburn at Mississippi State (-10.5) – Adams: Mississippi State; Toppmeyer: Mississippi State
Kentucky (-2) at Missouri – Adams: Missouri; Toppmeyer: Kentucky
Florida at Texas A&M (-3.5) – Adams: Texas A&M; Toppmeyer: Texas A&M
Liberty at Arkansas (-14) – Adams: Arkansas; Toppmeyer: Liberty
Tennessee at Georgia (-8.5) – Adams: Tennessee; Toppmeyer: Tennessee
Alabama (-13) at LSU – Adams: LSU; Tennessee: LSU
Clemson (-4) at Notre Dame – Adams: Clemson; Toppmeyer: Notre Dame
Lock of the week: Adams: North Carolina (-9) at Virginia; Toppmeyer: Appalachian State (-3) at Coastal Carolina
Blake Toppmeyer is an SEC Columnist for the USA TODAY Network. John Adams is a senior columnist for the Knoxville News Sentinel. You can subscribe to their podcast, SEC Football Unfiltered, or check out their SEC Unfiltered newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.