The Sunday Blog comes at you after a wonderful weekend with friends who didn’t let a bad football team ruin Saturday night.
* Several people have pointed out to me that Johnny Townsend’s hold was less than perfect when Eddy Pineiro missed the crucial extra point. Thanks for the info. Our replay system is less than ideal in the press box. The bottom line is that it was still in the third quarter. Florida didn’t lose because of the missed extra point. It lost because it has a bad offense. And the win prompted LSU’s Derrius Guice to Tweet to Jim McElwain — “Did we get what we deserved this year coach?” Stings a little, doesn’t it?
* Nothing made a lot of people happier than to see Jim Harbaugh getting drenched and then to lose at home to Michigan State. Or is that just me? It was another typical day of college football with Oklahoma losing to Iowa State and Oklahoma State getting back into the college playoff picture. And FSU is 1-3, which is mindblowing.
* Thanks, Gator fans, for singing “I Won’t Back Down” with all of your hearts at the end of the third quarter. The annoying LSU band couldn’t ruin it because you were so into it (the LSU band issued a statement explaining why it played over the “We Are The Boys” segment.) Hopefully, the Petty song becomes a tradition at every game.
* Fan bases get loud after losses and I would expect nothing less here over the next few days. Ditto Arkansas where the Razorbacks were trounced by South Carolina. The noise only fades with wins and Arkansas faces Alabama and Auburn in its next two games. That sounds like 2-5 to me.
* My AP ballot: 1. Ala; 2. Clem; 3. Georgia; 4. Penn St.; 5. TCU; 6. Washington; 7. Ohio St.; 8: Wiscy; 9. Wash. St.; 10. Aubie; 11. Miami; 12. Okie St.; 13. Okie; 14. USC; 15. Michigan; 16. VTech; 17. USF; 18. SD State; 19. Notre Dame; 20. NC State; 21. UCF; 22. Mich. St.; 23. Ga. Tech; 24. Stanford; 25. Kentucky.