The final tally was 675.
That was the number of miles I put on my car this long weekend. Sarasota to speak to the Gator Club there, back to Gainesville, Jacksonville for Danny Wuerffel’s tournament, St. Augustine to visit my parents, back to Jax for the game and finally home to write the Sunday Blog.
I need a home game as much as the Gators do.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. LSU: Here we go.
2. Alabama: Here we go.
3. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys were very impressive against Baylor.
4. Stanford: Great late-night viewing Saturday.
5. Boise State: Am I the only one who things the Big East wanting Boise is a panic move?
6. Oregon: Slow start but Ducks got it rolling.
7. Oklahoma: Very nice bounce back for the Sooners.
8. Arkansas: Razorbacks were lucky to escape Nashville.
9. South Carolina: Steve Spurrier is going to try to do it with defense.
10. Clemson: Huge miscommunication cost the Tigers.
11. Virginia Tech: How did the Hokies almost lose to Duke?
12. Kansas State: Wildcats were exposed.
13. Nebraska: Tough team to beat at home.
14. Houston: Case Keenum on the Heisman radar.
15. Michigan: Brady Hoke getting it done in Ann Arbor.
16. Penn State: Congrats to JoePa.
17. Georgia: Dogs still haven’t beaten anybody.
18. Arizona State: Who knows what lies ahead?
19. Michigan State: Saw this loss coming.
20. Wisconsin: No words to describe the last two finishes.
21. Cincinnati: Looking back, hard to understand how it was trounced by Tennessee.
22. Texas: Longhorns will be bowling this year.
23. Georgia Tech: Never doubt Paul Johnson.
24. Southern Miss: Is this the year someone yanks Larry Fedora to a BCS job.
25. Southern Cal: Trojans played a heckuva game.
THE SEC FOUR-PACK
1. I wonder how long Steve Spurrier is going to coach. While he loves to win, I don’t think he enjoys winning the way he had to Saturday to beat Tennessee. On an epic 98-yard touchdown drive, South Carolina ran on 17 of 20 plays. That’s not the Orr we all know. “I don’t walk off the field with as big a smile as I used to,” said Spurrier, “but we understand that’s what we have to do.”
2. Watching Vanderbilt Saturday in the press box, you couldn’t help but think Florida will have its hands full Saturday. And that Arkansas’ talk about being better on defense was a wish, not a fact. Jordan Rodgers has made a difference for the Commodores. Arkansas was very fortunate to win.
3. Kentucky is awful and the boos are getting loud in Lexington. Fans were especially ticked off at Joker Phillips for kicking a field goal in the second half with the team trailing by two touchdowns. But give credit to Danny Trevathan. The linebacker is playing his heart out. He had 17 tackles and a one-handed interception against Mississippi State.
4. Let the hype begin for Alabama-LSU. I don’t know that I’ve looked forward to an SEC game more in the last 10 years. Back porch, fire going, cold beverage. I’m leaning toward Alabama only because it’s in Tuscaloosa. But I have five days until I have to make a pick. Your thoughts?