Here’s what I don’t get — if almost everybody left The Swamp after Alabama made it 38-10 Saturday night, why was there gridlock 90 minutes after the game ended?
These and other questions may never be answered. The Sunday Blog presses on.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. LSU: Still not sure Tigers have enough offense to win it all. And by that I mean the Super Bowl.
2. Alabama: Got an NFL team with defensive issues? Draft Alabama players.
3. Oklahoma: Sooners made it look easy because, well, it was.
4. Stanford: Caught the tail end of the Cardinal’s game v. UCLA. Learned nothing.
5. Wisconsin: Very impressive win. Made me want to “Jump Around.”
6. Oklahoma State: Cowboys-Sooners matchup oughta be a gem.
7. Boise State: Thinking less and less like it’s going to work out for Broncos.
8. Oregon: Ducks still hoping for shot at Rose Bowl.
9. Clemson: Where did these guys come from?
10. Arkansas: Unreal win for the ‘Backs against A&M.
11. Michigan: Now comes the tough part — sustaining success.
12. Georgia Tech: Paul Johnson has the Wreck rambling.
13. Illinois: The Zooker found way to win a game he usually loses.
14. Arizona State: Sun Devils won despite four turnovers.
15. Kansas State: Did not see these last two wins coming.
16. West Virginia: Won’t be shocked to see ‘Eers in BCS bowl.
17. Texas: Still not sure about the ‘Horns.
18. Baylor: Tough loss this week.
19. South Carolina: See the SEC Four-Pack and scratch your head.
20. Nebraska: That was quite the welcome to the Big 10.
21. Auburn: OK, OK, I will give Gene Chizik credit.
22. Florida: Gators were exposed Saturday night.
23. Michigan State: What the defense did to Ohio State is against the law in some states.
24. Virginia Tech: Hokies haven’t beaten anybody.
25. South Florida: Run defense has to improve.
THE SEC FOUR-PACK
1. I know that every game is its own game, but when you see what Alabama did to Arkansas’ offense and then see that Tyler Wilson threw for 510 yards against Texas A&M it’s not surprising that Florida struggled with Alabama’s defense. The SEC East rep should just step aside and let LSU and Alabama play again in Atlanta. There is no doubt who the best two teams are in the conference … and maybe the country.
2. It’s hard to explain how a Steve Spurrier-coached team could get four turnovers, have one of the best running backs in America and one of the best receivers in America and a senior quarterback and only score 13 points against a defense that had been shredded all season. There’s only one answer — Stephen Garcia.
3. Look who is lurking. We talked all summer about Georgia’s easy schedule and how the Bulldogs wouldn’t be sunk with an 0-2 start and sure enough here they are with a real chance to win the SEC East. Georgia’s game at Tennessee on Saturday night is a huge one.
4. Late Saturday night Houston Nutt got what may be a job-saving win over Fresno State when his Rebels scored 11 fourth-quarter points to rally for the win. Nutt started troubled quarterback Randall Mackey, the third different quarterback to start for the Rebels. Mackey was pedestrian, but Jeff Scott carried the Rebs on his shoulders to the win.