Despite the crazy length of the Florida-Tennessee game, the Sunday Blog made it home for the second half of the FSU-Oklahoma game and all of the Stanford-Arizona game. And imagine the surprise when Tulsa and Oklahoma State started playing after midnight because of a weather delay.
That game ended at almost 4 in the morning, which is yet another illustration of how little the student-athlete matters. But don’t get me started.
Meanwhile, I’m sure nobody has asked the players at any of these schools which conference they’d like to play in.
But I digress.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 25
1. Oklahoma: Very impressed with the Sooners defense.
2. Alabama: Should be a doozy against the Razorbacks this week.
3. LSU: Nobody has a tougher September than Les Miles’ team.
4. Stanford: Cardinal wore down Arizona in the second half.
5. Boise State: And so it goes.
6. Wisconsin: I had Wisky as a possible title team in preseason.
7. Oklahoma State: Cowboys put 59 points up in the wee hours of Sunday morning.
8. Nebraska: Looking forward to Nebraska-Wisconsin matchup in two weeks.
9. Oregon: Ducks on a roll now.
10. Texas A&M: Uh, are Aggies in the SEC yet? Can we claim them?
11. Florida State: Semis need to find a true running game.
12. Arkansas: Not an impressive win over Troy. Looking ahead, maybe?
13. South Carolina: Battle of unbeatens this week.
14. Florida: Gators have a lot of cleaning up to do.
15. Virginia Tech: No team plays down to level of opponents like Hokies.
16. West Virginia: ‘Eers need to shore up the defense.
17. South Florida: Skip Holtz has it going.
18. Baylor: Bears making Waco proud.
19. Texas: Haven’t beaten anybody but it beats 5-7.
20. Illinois: Give Zooker credit for a big win and a good start.
21. TCU: Still not sure about Froggies’ defense.
22. Michigan: Unbeaten Wolverines have easy schedule ahead.
23. Vanderbilt: How many times are you going to get to rank the ‘Dores?
24. Michigan State: Not surprised Notre Dame beat them but surprised it was so easy.
25. Southern Cal: Nice win Saturday for the Trojans.
THE SEC FOUR-PACK
1. Count me as less-than-impressed with Tyler Bray. I know he lost one of his top receivers early in the game and the Gators put a lot of pressure on him. But he threw a dozen balls into coverage. I said before the game that it would be interesting to see how he handled playing in a tough environment. Remember that the toughest place he had started a game before Saturday was at Vanderbilt.
2. Speaking of Vandy, did you know that James Franklin is the first Commodores’ coach to start 3-0 since World War II? I asked this on Twitter and I ask you here — does Vandy spanking Ole Miss say more about Franklin or Houston Nutt?
3. Maybe it says something about South Carolina’s expectations that the Gamies are 3-0 and don’t sound too happy about it. They struggled with Navy, which had a chance at the end to win the game. “I can only do so much. I can’t worry about everything,” Steve Spurrier said. “I’m trying to get our passing game in a little bit better shape. We seem to be struggling a bit throwing.”
4. Georgia had its sellout streak end at 64 straight home games but the easy win over Coastal Carolina sparked this quote from Aaron Murray — “We know we have a great team. We feel like we can compete with anyone in the nation. … The last two games, the way we played, have made us very confident.” So the Bulldogs have that going for them.