I’m tired from the trip, have a headache from the ridiculously-loud public address system in Tuscaloosa and really excited about my Braves making the playoffs. On to the highlights:
1. What is it about the state of Alabama? Why can’t they find a way to get a crowd home after a game in a reasonable amount of time? We walked out of the press box at 1 a.m. Eastern and got back to our hotel at 3:15. And you know what’s worse than after a game in Tuscaloosa? After a game at Auburn. I rate the post-game traffic patterns because it angers me — 1. Nashville (for obvious reasons); 2. Gainesville; 3. Knoxville; 4. Starkville; 5. Oxford; 6. Lexington; 7. Athens; 8. Columbia; 9. Baton Rouge; 10. Fayetteville; 11. Tuscaloosa; 12. Auburn. I hear Clemson is worse than any of them. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I guess the police get Saturdays off in Tuscaloosa.
2. Is it the beginning of the Boise slide? The Broncos dropped to fourth in the AP poll after a blowout win over New Mexico State. There are people who just don’t want the Broncos in the title game. But if I had a ballot, I’d have them fourth, too.
3. Meanwhile, Denard Robinson is threatening to run away with the Heisman. But remember this — his toughest games are yet to come. The Wolverines have Michigan State and Iowa next and close with Wisconsin and Ohio State. I think any chance Mark Ingram had of repeating is over now.
4. Player of the week: Les Miles. Seriously, if it wasn’t for Les the Mess the college football world would be less entertaining. He blew it again and got bailed out by Tennessee’s inability to cipher. And then there was this gem of a quote after the game: “I think this team will force out some of the fat and get to the lean meat.” Is he cooking alligator or coaching football. Please send me your interpretations of that quote.
5. To be honest, the most fun thing I did all weekend was watch the end of that game with some of the best in the business while standing in the Alabama press box. Guys like Chris Low, Dennis Dodd, Stuart Mandel, Ray Glier, Pat Forde. Once you think you’ve seen it all, you realize you have not
This week’s Big Three
If you don’t go to The Swamp, I highly suggest a multiple TV set-up.
Alabama at South Carolina, 3:30, CBS
Michigan State at Michigan, 3:30, ABC
FSU at Miami, 8 p.m., ABC