On Wednesday on my radio show (104.9 FM, 4-to-6 p.m. daily), I came up with this idea to take 32 Gator icons, seed them and play it off. Yes, I have bracketology on the brain.
I tried not to put too many guys or girls on there who I was close to so they wouldn’t get angry. I’m sure Chris Doering didn’t appreciate being an eight seed.
Anyway, the point was just to have some fun. I’m not sure all of our callers, who made most of the picks, understood what I was trying to do. They just wanted to win something.
So here were the first round results with their seeds:
Chris Patrick bracket
1. Danny Wuerffel over 8. Dara Torres.
5. Mike Miller over 4. David Eckstein.
6. Lisa Raymond over 3. Wilber Marshall (stunning upset!)
7. Udonis Haslem over 2. Tracy Caulkins.
Norm Carlson bracket
1. Emmitt Smith over 8. Carlos Alvarez.
5. Heather Mitts over 4. Jevon Kearse (caller still upset he took money from Tank Black).
6. Shane Matthews over 3. Corey Brewer.
7. Kerwin Bell over 2. Stacy Nelson.
Mr. Two Bits bracket
1. Joakim Noah over 8. Chris Doering.
4. Chris DiMarco over 5. Nick Calathes.
3. Jack Youngblood over 6. James Bates.
2. Percy Harvin over 7. Camilo Villegas.
Dr. Pete Indelicato bracket
1. Steve Spurrier over 8. Cris Collinsworth.
4. Al Horford over 5. Matt LaPorta.
3. Neal Walk over 6. Danielle Fotopoulos.
7. Vernon Maxwell over 2. Brad Wilkerson.
We eliminated Tim Tebow because we already knew the answer.
Remember this is about popularity, not achievements. I don’t agree with all of them (Maxwell over Wilkie?) but we had a good time. We’ll finish off the bracket Thursday on the show and continue with brackets each week leading up to March Madness. I welcome any suggestions for subject matter. Gator enemies? Snack foods? Be creative.
Should be some interesting match-ups on Thursdays show. I especially like the Emmitt v. Heather Sweet 16.