Some thoughts that are pinging their way around my brain:
* There are some who feel Michael Vick’s suspension from the first five games this season is unfair because he was already suspended last year. No he wasn’t. He couldn’t play last year because he was incarcerated. This isn’t The Replacements. You can’t play in the NFL when you are in jail. OK, so he was suspended but that’s not why he didn’t play in 2008. I think Roger Goodell’s punishment was perfect. He may go down in history as the best commish ever because players know they can’t get into trouble and not be punished. I wonder how fans of NFL teams feel about the possibility of Vick playing for their teams. You may not want him, but you don’t want someone else to have him.
* Brett Favre is going to stay retired. For how long? Until Tarvaris Jackson sails back-to-back passes into the fans watching camp? If you think the Favre story is dead, you haven’t been paying attention. “Hey, Vikings, this is Brett. Woke up this morning and my arm felt great. When do I report?”
* I love it when people who have never met Steve Spurrier try to dissect him. Memo to the hacks: He was not playing mind games last week. He messed up and was embarrassed. That’s all there is to it.
* What happened? One minute I’m watching women’s softball in Oklahoma City and the next it’s time for football season. Where did the summer go?
* Got a new three-wood Tuesday and I feel like a new golfer. Taylor Made Launcher. Sweet. Phil Mickelson could say my problem is inferior equipment like he did about Tiger Woods and he would be right. But I’m gaining on it. Also received a new Heavy Putter like the one John Daly uses. The older I get, the more important it is to have equipment that will do the job for me.