Will the Gator’s 2020 football recruiting class finish in the top 5?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

StLGator
    Participant

With less than a week left to go before the 2020 Early Signing Period (Dec. 19-21) and their recruiting class ranked #8 by 247Sports with 22 commits, the Gators have a realistic shot at landing a total of 25-27 commits and finishing ranked somewhere around #5 or #6. That will be a substantial improvement over their #9 ranked class in 2019, which then suffered substantial losses due to transfers out, academic disqualifications and a student visa denial.

Where do you think the Gators will finish by final signing day in February?

Gator-6
    Participant

Yet another excellent and pertinent topic to take to the side and thrash about. I suspect that if we beat the hell out of Virginia in the Orange Bowl in an epic slaughter of Biblical proportions approaching those described in the Book of Revelation — all accomplished in a Christian and sporting sort of way, mind you — and if the staff really goes full court press on top of a 11-2 finish…..yes indeed we will have a Top-5 class for 2020. Some of which may even be starters. So sayeth NealyBob.

StLGator
    Participant

Breaking news! With the pick up of OT Joshua Braun from the Ugly Dawgs, the Gators got a two-fer. The Gator 2020 class moved UP from 8th to 6th on 247Sports while the Ugly Dawgs moved DOWN from 6th to 8th! Nice work CDM!!!

StLGator
    Participant

Here are a couple of updates on the status of the Gators’ 2020 recruiting class:

By flipping 4* safety Mordecai McDaniels from Tennessee the Gators now have 24 commits in a class that is solidly positioned at #6, according to 247Sports, with a strong chance to move up to #5 by February’s signing day.

Three of their 2020 early signees (QB Anthony Richardson, OT Joshua Braun and OG Richard Leonard) are taking advantage of a new NCAA rule that’ll allow them to join the team for bowl practices next week. They’re enrolling in January, so they’ll be counted against the 2019 recruiting class.

That means the Gators will be able to sign up to 4 more recruits in the 2020 class that may now total up to 28. It’ll still leave them one shy of the 85 scholarship limit, not counting any players that request transfers after spring practice reveal their places on the depth chart come fall.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I will leave the ”recruiting analysis” to you all, fellas. I am not big on it. Why? Maybe because I played high school ball, started at W.R., and got mono my Sr. year after we BEAT LAKE CITY, COLUMBIA in 1985 at Citizen’s Field and it ended my season and my dreams. But, Go ‘Canes! So, I got a personal ”bitter taste” about high school recruiting. I couldn’t finish the dream. But I know this little ditty, “They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, so call me…” Gator Orange & Blue! Chomp-chomp!

Gator-6
      Participant

And that’s one more reason I shall call you hereafter and evermore, the Ultimate Gator. 💖🐊🏈

StLGator
    Participant

With another NC Game coming up tomorrow night that is once again being played between two teams with composite recruiting rankings inside the Top 10, it’s worth further discussing the point that recruiting success is destiny in the 21st Century, especially in the SEC. On Gator 6’s Next Year THE YEAR thread we had the following thoughtful comments yesterday:

NashvilleGator: On roster composite talent ratings, Clemson won their 2016 NC with the 9th ranked roster, albeit with a difference maker at quarterback. Believe it or not, this year was their first top 5 class.

As for much ballyhooed “talent gaps,” to my thinking it’s not 4-stars versus 5-stars so much as it’s about quality roster depth… and Mullen is getting that issue fixed…

Gator6: As far as the 5* estimates vs the 4* estimates and the 3* estimates — and that’s exactly what they are in my opinion, ESTIMATES OF POTENTIAL AT THIS LEVEL — our friend Gator65 tho not on here for some time, I think has nailed it as (1) 32 total 5*s awarded, defined as a score between 98-100; (2) 300 4*s awarded, defined as a score between 90-97; and the remainder of the Top 10% nationally awarded 3*s (c corresponding scores between 80-89).

The two salient points about the SEC that I’ve done a poor job of making are:

1. When great coaching and player development is eliminated as a difference maker, all that’s left is talent difference. The SEC, as a conference, has the best coaching in the nation, period. The days of superior coaching alone winning an SEC Championship ended with the departure of SOS at the end of the 2001 season. So, only superior coaching AND superior recruiting determines SEC Champions nowadays. With no SEC title, it’s nigh on impossible to make the playoff field, as long as it’s limited to four teams and your name is not Alabama. There’s just too much pressure on the CFP committee to select other P5 conference champs ahead of SEC second place finishers, no matter how good they may be.

2. With mobile phone reporting and online publication dramatically reducing the cost of journalism, recruiting services have developed an effective system for collecting, evaluating, ranking and reporting recruiting information on the top 500 high school football players every season. They may be deficient at evaluating what’s “inside” any individual recruit’s head or heart (e.g. Trask vs. Franks,) but they’re undeniably accurate at evaluating the aggregate ranking of complete 4-year recruiting classes.

In the 5-year CFP era, NO SEC team with a composite 247 recruiting class ranked outside the Top 5 has made the CFP field. That fact is not likely to change until/unless the NCAA expands the playoff field to 8 teams so non SEC Conference champs can regularly land at-large invitations. SEC recruiting, coaching and player development at LSU, Alabama and UGA is just too good. The Gators should join those three in 2021, but until then… the odds against their winning the SEC title are long enough to make them a bad bet.

Gator-6
      Participant

Another excellent analysis from the factual nugs to realism.

You failed to mention UCF, however, ranked at 66 by 247 and currently ready to launch their third straight national championship season with absolutely ZERO 5-stars or 4-stars. How do they do it with obviously the toughest schedule in college football?

Of course, it probably helps when you award national championships to yourself, but it really can’t be as simple as that. 🥴

StLGator
        Participant

UCF’s ongoing delusion is proof positive that fake news is alive and well, at least in Central Florida. 😜

Gator-6
          Participant

Good one! Oh, and Josh Heuple goes to Baylor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.