Will Kyle Trask be the next Gator All-American QB in 2020?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      StLGator
      Participant

Kyle Trask was just named a finalist for the Manning Award. This award is named after Archie Manning and his sons Peyton and Eli and is given to the collegiate American football quarterback judged to be the best in the US.

Trask has thrown for 2,636 yards and 24 touchdowns this season. With 307 more passing yards in the Gators’ bowl game, Trask will have the ninth-best single-season yardage mark in Gator history! That was done despite not playing much over the first 11 quarters this season. He’s thrown for more than 275 yards in a game on five occasions, including the first (3) 300-yard passing games by a Gator QB since Tim Terrific.

Competing against Joe Burrow’s performance this season, Trask is unlikely to win this award. However, with Burrow and Tagovailoa moving on to the NFL, the path is clear for Trask to have an All-American season in 2020. Not bad for a guy who hadn’t started a game at QB before 2019, going all the way back to his freshman year in high school!

Opinions?

Gator-6
      Participant

No, he will not be since he plays for Florida and the selection committee probably labors under the assumption that we dropped football, but he could if we’re in the CFP next year and they happen to accidentally notice that we fielded a team. But if he replicates this season and has those 11 quarters in addition, it would be a sin if he didn’t.

StLGator
        Participant

Gosh! Such negativity! It’s not like your usually optimistic self 6.

What did you have for breakfast??? LOL!

Gator-6
          Participant

It must have been last night’s enchilada, bean, and chorizo stew, StL. I’ve been a walking bio-hazard all day. My wife is calling a priest, so I’ll be back to form shortly.

StLGator
            Participant

LMAO!!! Now THAT is more like the 6 I know.

cattrick
      Participant

Trask won’t be all-american as voters are impressed with “style points,:” not results. Trask does not look like a 6-3, 235 lb. QB who can throw the ball 75 yds., run circles around DBs and talk with all the attitude of someone running for congress. He might hit 80% of his passes, throw 35 TD passes vs. 5 picks and run for a dozen first downs in 2020, but he “has no style,” as one draft expert wrote. Style points. I wonder how many TDs that means in the NFL?

StLGator
        Participant

I don’t know cattrick. IMHO, Trask had more style points in 2019 than Wuerffel had in 1994 and Tebow had in 2006. And we all know how those two stories played out the following year.

Joe Shiver
        Participant

Well, he does look like a 6-5, 239 lb. QB, or at least that’s how he’s listed on the roster. He certainly doesn’t have the cannon arm, but he can throw it far enough. He doesn’t have the speed, quickness, or moves to make explosive runs, but he can slide in the pocket enough to keep the play going until he can find a receiver.

He’s already the third best passer in the conference, behind Burreax and Tua, and as StL noted, they’ll likely both be gone next year. Dooley says he’s the story of the year in CFB, so people will definitely be watching him next season.

Gator-6
          Participant

And brains. He’s got brains too, Joe.

I think with this year behind him, a good spring practice and good fall camp, he’ll tear it up next year. I just don’t think the guys that make the selections will notice how consistent or how good he is unless the whole team does something spectacular — like win a SEC and/or an NC.

When all that happens, just remember that it was an old Texas boy who led the way. You know, I can’t help but believe that Trask chews Red Man, the chew of champions!

He’ll be in the hunt, and so will UF for the CFP and NC.

VB Brett
      Participant

Trask has the opportunity to be next year’s Joe Burrow, and possibly next year’s Heisman Trophy winner. They have similar attributes in size, countenance and leadership. With another year of tutelage from the “quarterback whisperer”, and a year to upgrade our offensive line, it will be fun to see that come to pass.

StLGator
        Participant

That’s how I see it, particularly if the Gators improve their OL play next season and develop any semblance of a running game. It’ll be Kyle Trask vs. Justin Fields duking it out for the Heisman Trophy.

mtn2top
      Participant

It’s reasonable to expect a continued progression with Trask and the Gator offense with each successive season. Both have a lot of upside. Just being in the same offensive system for a couple of years helps carry knowledge and momentum from season to season.

Trask has been very good, but Emory Jones could beat Trask out for the #1 position in the spring. We do not utilize the full running QB dimension of the spread offense with Trask. Either way, I think Jones will see more playing time next season to create more problems for defenses preparing for Florida. That could have an impact on Trask’s minutes and statistics.

Gator-6
        Participant

You could very well be right about that….no telling what can or will happen by then. Jones will have to make some enormous strides to do it, but from what little I’ve seen so far here and there, I think he’s got it in him. Then again, Trask does too and I think there’s consensus on that because we got to see what he did this year. I think next year will be even better. I’m also pretty pumped about the new kid coming in, tho that’s in the out-years. One thing for sure, however, the OL has GOT to come up to SEC Above Average or better before much of anything can go forward.

StLGator
        Participant

Jones will get more playing time next season for sure, but CDM won’t make him the Gator starter over Trask for the same reason he didn’t make Trask the starter over Franks, real game experience. CDM has a history, going back to MSU, of going with the more experienced QB, while preparing the backup to be ready to step in if the starter goes down as Franks did.

That said, 6 is on the mark about the improvement needed out of the OL next season. Anybody who saw Joe Burrow yesterday sit in his pocket for nearly 9 seconds until a receiver broke free vs. the UGA D that shut down the Gator O understands the secrets to a spectacular QB performance vs. a great D are great blocking up front, a great RB threat, and great WRs in the back end.

The Gators FINALLY have THE QB to go with their RBs and WRs. All they need now is an SEC OL.

Gator-6
          Participant

We’ll see what we have left after attrition, see what we gained from recruiting and transfers in, and hopefully the core has progressed. We do this every year and so does most of everybody else, in this post-modern college football world, where we want it all to sum up to (+)>(-) but sometimes all we get is (+)=(-) at best.

If you didn’t follow any of this, don’t worry. Neither did I. 🥴

mtn2top
      Participant

You’re right St. Louis. Not so suddenly, Trask is one of the highest ranked QBs coming back in the SEC.

Things are looking good for the Gators next season with key players coming back on both sides of the ball.

On offense, the line situation is stable to improving. We still have a stable of talented running backs. The Trask to Pitts connection will continue to be an essential element in the offense. The challenge will be compensating for the loss of experienced WRs leaving this team.

StLGator
        Participant

There were two remaining areas of deficient play for the Gators toward the end of 2019: OL and the middle of the defensive backfield. The OL’s run blocking appeared to improve a little in the OB game, where UVA sold out to stop Trask and his WR posse and Perine made them pay for it. The defensive backfield, on the other hand, was a dumpster fire for 60 minutes that must be addressed in the offseason.

The WR corps in 2020 will be talented, but thin. The starters will be Grimes and Copeland as flankers and either Toney or Pitts in the slot. Backups will be Wells and incoming freshmen Henderson, Fraziars and a slew of unknowns. Kyle Trask will be able to work with that bunch IF they don’t suffer serious injuries.

ag8tor
      Participant

Speaking of Trask arm strength, it depends on the offense. Burrow didn’t throw many passes over 15-20 yards and had a phenomenal completion percentage. He also had an O-line that gave him time to search the field and receivers who came back to the ball if he was in trouble. We have the QB, the WRs and the RBs to challenge anyone in the SEC and nationally. We need an O-line that opens things up or keeps things out. The addition of Lingard and the possible the Penn St. transfer (I forget his name) will add to the mix if they can clear waivers.

StLGator
        Participant

“Clear waivers!” Now that’s funny! 😂🤣😂. You need to post more often ag8tor!

You also have a point on the value of Trask’s arm strength vs. his ability to find open receivers all over the field, as Burrow did this season. However, you saw in the OB how the good 2020 opponents will deal with Trask next season.

LSU and UGA have MUCH better D’s than UVA and IF the Gators want to improve on 11-2 and no SEC Championship, they MUST improve their OL and Trask must complete some 20+ yard-long passes behind the crowd that’ll gather between the LOS and 15 yards downfield.

ag8tor
      Participant

O-line play has to be the main focus of our offense in the spring and fall. With Burrow and now Fromm gone Trask should be the highest rated QB in the league. Like Burrow if you give him time he’ll deliver. Interesting also to see what the RB situation and rotation will be this year with RB by committee seems likely especially if Lingard clears. (Another BIG IF). My other concern is the DB situation. We certainly didn’t play like DBU at the end of the season and especially the OB. Hopefully that was due to the defensive calls and not preparation of our secondary. We have the schedule and the weapons to be contenders this year. We have to make up those 7 points that Mullen says uga is ahead of us by plus holding off the rest of the East. Should be an interesting season. Looking forward to spring practice already.

StLGator
        Participant

I’m getting off topic here, but the Gator pass coverage breakdowns in 2019, especially on 3rd and long, were due mainly to lack of athletic talent at safety and, to a lesser extent, LB. Their cover guys in the middle of the field could not cover talented receivers one-on-one when the QB escaped the pass rush and extended plays.

The Gators’ should be better in coverage in 2020 as the more athletic CDM recruits gain experience and replace the less athletic Mac recruits.

Gator-6
      Participant

I am going to say this, admittedly for no other reason than to hopefully keep this conversation going since it is actually an important topic: Assuming the OL improves at least 30%, KD has the kind of year we’ve been waiting for, Pierce becomes the power SEC running back he’s been groomed to be, and most of all, that Trask doesn’t get injured — you bet your ass. He’ll set records and be an All American.

Anybody want to fight about it?

No, barring injuries, he will be top notch, again. But I would gladly fight with anyone thinking Oklahoma, who clearly did not belong anywhere near the CFP semis, should have ended up ranking higher than UF, which some writers contributing to the final poll did, or that they even belonged in the top ten. What was that halftime score vs. LSU? 46-10? UF was a couple plays from beating LSU on their home turf, without their two best pass rushers, and without KT.

StLGator
          Participant

The sports media has a desperate need to legitimize all the P5 conference champs. Reality is that with the exception of Clemson and Ohio State, ALL the serious contenders for the NC are in the SEC.

Oklahoma and Oregon did NOT belong in the Top 5, at least not in 2019.

Daz Wazlle
            Participant

The Gators only have themselves to blame for Oregon being ranked above them. If they had gone to the bowl all business like and prepared better they would have blown them out like Clemson had just done and the voters would have rewarded them for it. I remember reading how they were goofing off, oneexample was, one day they all showed up to practice in each others jerseys and the coaches went along with it. It was a party atmosphere since they knew they were going to win. They played like the practiced.

Gator-6
              Participant

Yes they did, Daz. Furthermore, I don’t believe they would have done that had they had a higher caliber opponent than they thought they had…..so it’s a lick on everybody from the last water boy to the head coach. I don’t think a win was ever seriously in question, but the way we played told me all night that Virginia might just pull a South Carolina-Georgia on us in the end. Now where would we have been then?

On any given Saturday…….

Robbie Andreu

If the running game is better, and it should be, and the young receivers play up to their potential (Mullen seems confident they will), Trask has a chance to have a monster season in 2020.

StLGator
        Participant

I totally agree Robbie.

I just hope Kyle and the Gators avoid the injury bug next season. It’s the only thing he and CDM can’t control.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.