what id like to know more about and what id like to know less about

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mveal2006 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

mveal2006
    Participant

id like to know about this kind of thing, since it affects qb and the offensive line:

2 potentially relevant stats:

When pressured last year vs P5 Ds, Feleipe Franks had 25.3% comps (64th/64 qualified P5 QBs), a 62.3 passer rating (53rd) & QBR of 5.3 (52nd).

vs. P5 offenses, Miami’s D got pressure 41.3% of the time. Only Kentucky & Clemson were better.

That’s so David
    @ADavidHaleJoint

Now, having said that, one of the few QBs who was worse than Franks vs. pressure was… N’Kosi Perry. He was 8-of-27 with 0 TD & 1 INT and 2.3 QBR when pressured vs. P5.

and … Id like to know a lot less about south Carolina. the sun just writes about them as if they matter. they don’t, but not a substantive word about Miami, that does matter.

Gator-6
    Participant

You’re making good points all around, Mveal. I don’t imagine Miami has seen a defense like Grantham’s too much in the ACC — it was pretty obvious that FSU hadn’t either when they played us last year. We’ll see what happens in a few more weeks, tho.

For the life of me, I don’t know why South Carolina is considered such a possibly “hot” team, anymore than I do Ol’ Miss or for that matter, Mizzou. Kind of defies logic, if there is such a thing when it comes to SEC football. In my opinion, you might as well pick Arkansas or Vandy to reach the playoffs this year!

mveal2006
    Participant

im not trying to be debbie downer about our guys. it may be that with running, or more check downs, or improvement by him or the entire unit, franks is not going to be as bad as that stat looks. its only a stat, games are won on the field, not in the newspaper. inversely, miami doesnt even know who they will start at qb on aug 24, and worse for them, they dont truly know who will start at db either. i think their coach is very impressive, but of course until they play you dont know if he is as good as he sounds. i just want to know more about our offensive line.

mtn2top
    Participant

The Xs and Os are what determines the outcome of a game. With so much uncertainty around all teams going into a season it will be a couple weeks of discovery. There’s some relevancy to last year’s stats, but not much. Especially for Franks who is expected to make the normal leap into a second year of improved signal calling in the SEC.

I think we will discover that the Florida Gators will continue improving consistency and play execution under Mullen in year two. Franks and the offense is poised to be the biggest beneficiary of the continuity of coaching.

That’s also true with defense. Grantham, staff and most key players are back. Kicking and special teams are poised to contribute their fair share to a winning formula. I’m not sure we’ll win the SEC East, but beating Miami in game one is expected for this team.

ag8tor
    Participant

Please remember that this encompasses the entire year. Starting with the SC game Franks made huge strides and became more comfortable with the O. He has finally taken the leadership role he has needed to take from the beginning. Let’s see what a whole year of experience and more confidence has to do with his stats. Don’t forget that it all starts with the O-line as well.

mveal2006
    Participant

to be more precise, its offensive tackle/pass blocking that i am most looking for info about. I think we are going to run the ball well, which will also help the passing game. i think the missouri game hurt franks stats last year, and some of that was giving away the georgia game with self inflicted things the week before which caused a letdown.
    anyway, we have the athletes at tackle, just a matter of coaching them up, may take time, and our strengths can hopefully be stronger to help win the day

StLGator
    Participant

Mveal, the inexperienced Gator OL will be severely tested by Miami, especially early when the Cane DL and LBs are fresh. Every Gator OL starter has some playing experience from last year, but this will be their first game playing as a unit and Miami’s D is talented and experienced, especially at LB.

Franks’ primary objective will be to give up no turnovers early because the Gator D will shut down Miami’s O. Any early scores, for either side, will most likely be the result of special teams play or turnovers.

Franks’ passing stats in his last game of 2018, under positive conditions in the Peach Bowl, were a rather mediocre 13 completions in 23 attempts for 173 yards and 1 TD with no interceptions. I watched that game and can testify he was painful to watch at times, missing wide open receivers on the other side of the field from where he locked in on his covered primary targets. That aspect of his play will not change by August 24th.

If Franks and company don’t turn the ball over early, this game will resemble the South Carolina and Michigan games last year, because the Gator D will be relentless. In the 2nd half, the depth shy Miami D will wear down, and the Gator O will be able to run the ball down their throats. Let’s hope CDM’s lessons on how to protect the ball made a lasting impression on Franks. It’s infinitely better to throw it away than to throw a pick.

If Franks and company do turn the ball over early, this game will get very uncomfortable for the Gators as their only way to come back is the way they did against South Carolina last year, except Miami has a better D than the Gamecocks did last year. Let’s hope this doesn’t come to pass.

GO GATORS!!!

Gator-6
      Participant

StL, I’m surprised that you didn’t mention Jones vis-a- vis a Franks stumble. How about your thoughts if he replaces Franks early on in the game?

StLGator
        Participant

6, CDM is not SOS. For better or worse Franks will be THE Gator QB in 2019. Pulling him out early in the first game of the season will really disrupt the team. So, he’ll be our starter as long as he’s healthy.

Jones will get his packages of plays for a change of pace, like Tebow did back in 2006. That will keep him sharp and force opponents to game plan for him.

CDM will limit Franks’ exposure to making poor decisions by calling safer pass plays with fewer check-downs if he sees him getting a lot of early blitzes and pressure from the Cane D. He and his assistants have much more affinity to his QB’s limitations than McElwhiner and his staff, who just threw the poor kid out to the wolves and destroyed his confidence.

Gator-6
          Participant

I was in a hurry and forgot to say “….stumble or injury”. I do, however, totally agree c your assessment of Frank’s centrality to the offense this year — altho I’d bet under any circumstances that Jones gets quite a few packages and maybe even a lot more playing time than we might think through out the course of the season, perhaps even earlier than we expect if his performance warrants it. That should not be read as I expect Franks to step on his poncho liner, but in view of what I’m already on record for about the physiology involved in reaction latencies and the relative prospects of that changing by the early twenties. He’s got all the weapons tho, and I sure as h-e-double hockey sticks hope he really lights it up this year!

mtn2top
    Participant

I believe Franks and Jones will both take significant “steps” forward this season. I see a running QB as a key and strategic position of strength for UF going into this season. That takes pressure off an offensive line, versus protecting a pocket passer.

The trick will be for our QB to have the patience and vision to work with a line in progress. That’s why I expect to see more leadership out of the QB position this season for the Gators.

We are also certain to lean on a deep stable of running backs. It makes sense to just go out and see if the Miami and other defenses can stop the run. From there, we have the receivers and flankers to exploit a defense.

We may have a bit of a rag tag offensive line to start the season. As players, they don’t have to be great, just consistent, and we can put some yards and points on this Cane defense.

So yes, run to open the passing game. We have the receiving corp and flankers to test every dimension of the Miami defense.

Gator-6
      Participant

That pretty well sums it up, Mtn…..I would only add that Franks should be more Tebow-like in his own running this year given his size and presumably strength — more or less like an old time NFL fullback in that mode — and Jones should continue to show more of that speed and agility that we saw last year when running. If the line can at least start out “SEC Average” — and why would we expect them at a very minimum not too — with all the weapons we have I just can’t find any reason for angst. Barring, of course, injuries…but I trust that Savage has done his magic to prevent a lot of that.

mveal2006
    Participant

at this point lets hope that franks can work through his limitations. these games must be won by staying at a high level. if you miss one a little, dont let it destroy you. we as fans have not been fun since champ sort of took our fun away, but it can be fun, lets not forget thats why we watch the games!

Gator65
    Participant

Mveal your line on stats has been my biggest fear more than the OL. We’ve been here before with a suspect OL and faired well. 2006. Of course there were fewer ? elsewhere on the team. FF made strides last year and I think he still hasn’t reached his ceiling. If he has then we may be in trouble when we play tougher teams. We do have a harder schedule this year. I doubt this is a accepted way to train but I’d like to see a positive/negative reinforcement method (electric shock collar for dogs) with a camera in the helmet so the coach knows where the QB’s eyes are. Looking down the intended target mild shock, not looking at all the check downs mild shock, doing the correct check down etc. no shock. I am not saying drop to the knees. Just a mild buzz. Might break the bad habit might not. I am sure 6 will have some comment on reinforcement. Of course in the Army there were pushups or some other corrective measure but I don’t think they do that like they used to either. Of course I am making light of a serious issue I hope is worked out by game day.

Gator-6
      Participant

65, I toilet trained my daughters with M&Ms and a cattle prod. Is that what you mean?

Seriously tho, the right video games on the right type of console might help his perceptual latencies, but even that is a stretch by now. Kind of a what-you-see-what-you-get thing. Any little bit will help tho.

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s a less about for me with Franks. He’s one of the proven assets coming into the huddle. In year two we look for more consistency and better execution from Franks and the offense. Nothing fancy, especially early in the season, but they’ll deliver.

I’d like to know more about Miami and what we can expect. There was a good article in the Herald last week that I should have linked.

mveal2006
    Participant

i hear different things about miami, my argument is that expect miami to dig deep to play their best. we are a true rival. if they beat virginia tech, its not that big to them, even in the down years, because they really arent rivals, so they dont get that extra something something when they play. now in spite of the newspaper and the athletic dept, the players and the fans know this is a big rivalry, one of the most important game in years for both teams and its going to be far more than the pregame coverage of the game will have you believe imo.

mveal2006
    Participant

the deal with franks, is just that qb has a ton of things that can go wrong, so for him to look perfect its going to be hard. the great ones play to win first, stats are useful but bad ones can be overcome in time. i think a package for jones in most games is going to be a good idea, and then in time everyone will know where things stand.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.