Turmoil at FSU

Tagged: 

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 46 minutes ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

Very quiet over here about the dumpster fire that brightens the sky to the West.

This is an important hire. It doesn’t look like they fired to nail down a specific candidate. I’m generally against firing a coach mid-season for their record. That just throws away the rest of the season for players, assistant coaches and fans to a degree.

Has the FSU job lost a little luster? Even still, FSU can be a stepping stone to bigger things as Fisher has proved.

One of the funniest thing I’ve seen is Deon Sanders mentioned as a candidate. There’s the ideal follow-up hire to Taggart.

Gator-6
    Participant

That Sanders talk indicates desperation, I think, but more importantly underscores a level of dysfunction in that athletic department that was also a chief reason for Fisher leaving in the first place. It may in fact be worse than Tennessee’s was….until Fulmer came back to slowly turn the Queen Mary. Problem for FSU is that there’s no Fulmer analogue unless you consider Bobby Bowden, who is far too old.

I think the luster has been tarnished for now. If they can’t land one of those AAC hotshots, maybe they should go after Terry or Tommy. 😏

cattrick
    Participant

I have 2 cousins who went to FSU. They have stopped responding to my text messages and phone calls. I remind them I had to hear their spit for years when FSU was regularly catching Gators and using them for fish bait and grilled gator-steaks. Well, it’s our turn now so suck it up all you Semilosers.

tmcurvel
    Participant

The FSU fan base will need to adjust their expectations for a quick turnaround. It is going to be a slow process and they need to give whoever they hire time to rebuild. It is going to be at least a four to five year process. They need to hire a young up and coming head coach that can show incremental improvement each year. They are not the next Georgia. Just look at all the high flying programs that have had hard times – Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Miami

I think Florida was lucky to hire Mullen. Our future is bright and we need to temper our criticism of the coaching staff and support our team. We are a lot closer to the CFP level than the above mentioned teams. I want to be a program that has a reasonable chance at the CFP each year rather than a five or six loss team. We are back to being a top ten team.

Gator-6
      Participant

You are absolutely right, TM — it will take a while, and you don’t hire a barely .500 coach to replace a guy who won a national championship either. When you consider who is available, who is actually willing, and the risks involved in taking that job, the pool just got very shallow indeed. There is indeed a fair measure of dysfunction involved and a discernible touch of narcissism at work too ….. as far as highlighting Stoops right out of the gate, or even Urban Myer, FSU might have just as well issued a press release that they were going after Vince Lombardi or Knute Rockne. As far as I’m concerned, Lane Kiffin and FSU are an excellent match. They deserve each other, you might even say.

StLGator
        Participant

Be careful what you wish for 6. You may just get it and possibly regret it. Kiffin may be an ideal candidate for the Semis job and being Semis’ HBC can be the next logical stepping stone for Kiffin.

As others have mentioned above, the FSU HBC gig has become a bit of a stepping stone. But, it’s still a program with a rich tradition, excellent recruiting connections and weak Power 5 conference, which affords them an easy schedule and inside track to a CFP finish every season. All they have to do is win all the games they should win and beat Clemson.

Kiffin needs a gig like FSU’s as his next step in rebuilding a coaching career he burned to the ground before Saban plucked him out of the ash heap and turned the Bama offense to him. Nobody can argue with Kiffin’s results there and the scary thing for Gator fans is that he can do the same thing in Tally and it won’t take him more than 2 years IF he hires the right assistants and brings discipline back to that program. The talent is already there, minus a QB, which he can go get.

Again, I’ll repeat this for emphasis, Kiffin won’t be coaching in the SEC if he takes the Semis job. He can however become a real pain in the Gators’ 6 in short order!

StLGator
      Participant

Semilosers! LOL! Now that’s funny.

Reminds me of an old Carlin bit about advertising “semi-boneless ham.” Does it have a bone, doesn’t it have a bone? It has a bone! It’s no semi-bone. A bone is like a crumb. Break a crumb in half and you have two crumbs! Not two semi-crumbs!

Therefore, following Carlin’s flawless logic, the Semis can’t be “Semilosers” because losses aren’t semi-losses and losers are just losers!!!

Semilosers for sure. UF is the flagship of the Florida university system. FSU is the garbage scow.

Gator-6
    Participant

I’m not worried about Kiffin’s coaching so much as the players who get seduced into believing that he actually has a modicum of character in him. They can do a lot of damage by themselves, until they figure out the house of cards he builds is about to topple. Again.

StLGator
      Participant

You’re right about that 6!

Well, FAU isn’t setting the world on fire this season. So, perhaps the Semis’ AD won’t be impressed enough with their play to take that “Lane” in his coaching search.

Gator-6
        Participant

For me, bud, it would come down to who I dislike more — FSU or Lane Kiffin. Well, FSU is in a sense cousins, ableit more like Cousin Eddie, but I think last year the state legislature rescinded the law that you have to hate them so now I would at least piss is somebody’s mouth if their teeth were on fire over there, drawing the line at CPR.

Kiffin, on the other hand…..his legs could grow together and I wouldn’t care.

StLGator
    Participant

I thought you were kidding about Neon Deon being suggested for the Semis’ HBC job until I saw a serious discussion of that subject on TV an hour ago. I darned near fell off my bar stool laughing! 😂🤣😂

I’m ALL in for THAT hire!!!

keobongdavn
    Participant

Well, FAU isn’t setting the world on fire this season

Gator-6
      Participant

And UCF just got beat again. Not to worry tho, another national championship is just around the corner.

Ocalarob
    Participant

Maybe they could hire Ron Zook. At least they would have somebody that knows how to win a game in Bobby Bowden Stadium! Seriously the Seminoles have this delusion that the bad football team is a noe or two year bump and it can be solved by simply getting a new coach. This started under Bowden and is even worse now. Clemson is the cream of the crop in the ACC and the ACC isn’t the SEC. There are too many good programs and teams out there for a recruit to look at and a fire 1 1/2 years into a coach’s career at a program sends a bad message to recruits and coaching candidates. Good luck to them but not too much good luck. Go Gators!

StLGator
    Participant

So, has anyone heard any good rumors on who will be the Semis next fearless leader? Should some of go on their message boards and start some???

Gator-6
      Participant

StL, it is so quiet about Matt Rhule that I figure it must be him. He’s got to get past Oklahoma and Texas yet, but he’s already won coach of the year if Ogeron doesn’t get it first. If I were a Seminole in a position of authority, which I’m not and besides that you can’t afford to support a family on an income that consists of free sneakers and pilfered crab legs…..I’d be all over him like Elvis on a cheeseburger.

Corey
    Participant

Whatever they decide to do out there, they better be quick about it, especially with Arkansas firing their coach and having ties to Mike Norvell, who seems to be the flavor of the month. Whoever they do decide on, they better plan on giving him at least a couple of years to start righting the ship and then another 2-3 years to get them back to championship caliber. If they don’t have the patience for that, then they’re going to go through the same 6-8 years of up and down mediocrity that UF just went through. Good for fans to gloat over, but doesn’t help the team as in schedule strength.

StLGator
      Participant

The persistent rumor in Tally is that they’re negotiating with Bob Stoops. That he got back into coaching (pro) and is not flat out denying the rumors means they’re not totally outlandish.

Reality is that, with the right hire, FSU can be back into the top 10 within two seasons. They have top 10 talent on that team, just undisciplined and poorly coached. They also benefit from an easy ACC schedule, which can yield 9 easy wins every season if they just develop some focus and discipline.

Sly Sylvester
        Participant

I think the best hire for FSU is not Bob Stoops, but his younger brother Mark. Not that Bob is a bad coach, but I don’t think FSU could afford him after the Willie buyout. I don’t know what their budget is so maybe they could afford Bob, or yet they could be so bankrupt that they couldn’t afford Mark either. Mark is good coach with head coaching experience who can identify talent and recruits well in the State of Florida. He should do better at FSU than at UK with a higher caliber of talent. Not that my opinions matter because the powers never listen to me. After all, I did suggest we go after Dabo Swinney to replace Muschamp but fellow forum members gave me so much grief to even suggest such a clown. They thought his assistant at the time, Chad Morris, was brains behind the goofy Dabo. I also suggested we go after Mario Cristobal to replace McElwain but I was drowned out by the Chip Kelley supporters who drooled over his spread offense. So what do I know?

StLGator
          Participant

Two great suggestions Sly! Too bad you were mocked by “expert voices” on this site for suggesting them.

I guess things happen for a reason, even if I still wonder what were the reasons for hiring Champ and Mac when Mullen was there all along. Oh well, that goes to show you how little I know.

mtn2top
    Participant

Mark Stoops would be a great hire. I don’t know if FSU is that smart. They will figure out the money no matter who ends up with the job.

The pressure is sky high to get it right this time, so wild cards like Kiffin are at a disadvantage if not out of the question. If FSU takes any chances, I would expect it on a coach associated with the program and school.

I know from our own experience at Florida that coaching instability plays havoc with recruiting. It’s the continuity of coaching (the same system) and recruiting over a period of time that stocks the cupboard and builds a program.

Now the situation is reversed. The coaching instability in Tallahasse will benefit Coach Dan Mullen and our boys in Gainesville, just like it has for them the past decade.

StLGator
      Participant

Either Stoops brother would be a great hire for FSU. They have rich boosters to pick up the tab on Willie’s buyout. Good clowns make big bucks and I hear FSU produces some of the best clowns in America.

Gator-6
    Participant

Washington Post (of all places) did a story on Matt Rhule last night. Paul Finebaum says Mullen is going to the Steelers.

StLGator
      Participant

What has Mullen done at UF YET to warrant the Steelers coming after him now???

That must be Tide Booster Paul’s wishful thinking. He sees CDM pulling up to Smart and Saban’s performance level, even before getting his football complex and ramping up UF’s recruiting, and he sees the makings of another Sweeney. So, he wants him gone ASAP.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s entertaining to hear all of the different candidate names being tossed out there to the media by agents trying to add value to their head coach clients or get a little leverage in negotiating a raise. They are the source of many of the “tips” leaked to media during the hiring period.

FSU fans are truly delusional. The top-tier candidates they’re promoting are unlikely to leave their current schools for the job in Tallahassee. Its more likely FSU will hire a top assistant from one of these schools when the season ends for their current team.

mtn2top
    Participant

If it’s a coaching hire rumor, you can bet an agent is behind it. Usually it’s to get a raise in the current job. That’s the only “reliable” source for that information other than first person.

It’s highly unlikely that Coach Dan Mullen is going to the Steelers for many reasons.

StLGator
      Participant

First of which is that Mullen hasn’t done anything at UF yet to warrant one of the premier NFL franchises coming after him at this time.

I might understand if they went after Saban, Meyer or Sweeney. Not that any of them would want an NFL job either.

mtn2top
    Participant

At the same time StL, Mullen has as good or better of a resume than many NFL coaches. He’s proven to be steady, consistent winner in the SEC for more than a decade. Just look at the list of QBs he’s whispered into the NFL.

Those are all attributes that would make Mullen attractive to NFL team owners. He’s still young enough to get a good decade of coaching out of him. Not sure two of your three have that left in them considering the money and hardware they’ve banked.

StLGator
      Participant

You’re right in your assessment and I might not be as surprised if that NFL rumor were coming out of Miami, or Tampa Bay, or the NY Jets. But, the Steelers are one of the NFL blue bloods.

If THEY were to take interest in a college coach, I would expect them to be looking at someone with some top-notch recruiting results, some championships on his resume and NFL style offensive coaching experience, like Sweeney, or Smart. CDM is not quite there yet… but give him time and he will be.

mtn2top
    Participant

Mullen’s view is perhaps a better way to look at it. Why would he want to coach in the NFL? I don’t think he’s so ego driven that he wants to prove himself in the pros. He makes a lot of money at UF (only 4 coaches make more) and is raising a family in Gainesville.

There’s so many differences in coaching college and the NFL. Spurrier, Saban and so many other college legends didn’t fare so well in the pros. Dan Mullen seems content at UF.

Again, I think this is Jimmy Sexton, his agent talking to further salary or contract negotiations.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.