Transfer question

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Corey 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

SoCal Gator
    Participant

I just read on espn that Justin Fields has been granted immediate eligibility to play this upcoming season for Ohio State. I’m curious as to what led the ncaa to allow this to happen. I thought there had to be some extenuating circumstance to grant immediate eligibility. Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy he left Georgia. Even happier that he’ll hopefully continue the buckeyes dominance of Michigan(who I despise every bit as much as the Noles). Plus I think these kids should be given more leniency than they’ve had in the past. I just found this hard to believe. Does anyone have any info as to why? Also, is anyone else still feeling great about the last 2 football games? I haven’t stopped smiling. Go Gators!

StLGator
    Participant

Here’s what I got out of another ESPN story on the Fields transfer:

The NCAA adjusted its policy last spring to make it easier for transferring athletes to find an immediate path to the playing field. The new rules state that a player can be granted a waiver to play right away if he can show “documented mitigation circumstances” that the change of schools was made to better impact his “health, safety and well-being.”

The NCAA itself didn’t publish details on their reasoning for granting this particular waiver. Fields and his lawyer were equally evasive. So, we are left to wonder if the racist harassment episode at UGA carried the day, or if the NCAA is becoming more lenient in order to avoid potential antitrust lawsuits.

Time will tell as the transfer portal is likely to really heat up given this development.

SoCal Gator
    Participant

Thanks for shedding some light on that for me. I had actually forgotten about the racism story.

Gator-6
    Participant

Although not directly related to the instant question, and because it is less likely to draw another unrelated drive-by provocation on this side of the forum and thus get everybody all riled up — I have to ask: What the hell is going on at UGA that nobody is talking about except in code? There is something untoward in that program that I can’t quite put my finger on, and it has nothing to do with ill will about Georgia — I’m a fan of all SEC teams when they’re not playing Florida. Daz opines that it is the boosters doing under-the-table shenanagins, one Auburn player said it involved $, and nobody says Kirby Smart is involved (which I would have trouble believing too). Either of you guys have an opinion?

SoCal Gator
    Participant

I was asking myself the same question yesterday. It seems like something might be going on. I honestly have no idea. My thought to myself was simply a hunch, and nothing more. It’s funny that you asked though. That’ll make me continue to wonder.

Gator-6
    Participant

I think StL might have ventured a thought or two when I asked a couple of months ago, but I can’t remember now since it all got overcome bu events when I was suddenly attacked by somebody for daring to cast aspersions at Kirby Smart (which I didn’t, but that didn’t matter in the rush to virtue signal). I still have the same feeling tho too — something ain’t quite right in the context of all this recruiting success. If you or anybody else can think your way thru it better than I have so far, let me know! (BTW, haven’t seen you post in a while SoCal, glad to see you’re back)

StLGator
    Participant

I believe this specific situation relates only to Justin Fields and his desire to be a starter at a prominent program that will showcase his talents and give him an opportunity to win championships. It doesn’t point (for now) to anything nefarious occuring within UGA football recruiting. Smart was a well known super recruiter well before he took over the HBC position at UGA.

The racial verbal abuse claim Fields’ lawyer MAY HAVE used to quickly get the NCAA to approve Fields’ appeal and grant him the waiver was real. The UGA baseball player alleged to have shouted out racial insults at Fields from the sidelines during a home football game was, in fact, thrown off the baseball team after a university investigation of the incident. Whether that incident sufficiently “documented mitigation circumstances that the change of schools was made to better impact Fields’ health, safety and well-being” is open to speculation, since neither the NCAA, nor Fields and his lawyer are discussing the specifics of his appeal.

That said, the speed with which the NCAA reviewed the appeal and granted Fields his waiver stands in sharp contrast to all their previous appeal reviews, which dragged into the summers before being resolved. You have to wonder if the NCAA scrambled on this appeal just to avoid a racism smear in today’s racially charged media environment.

Time will tell, since MANY other players are going to test the NCAA transfer rules after this appeal decision. The Transfer Portal has over 1,400 kids in it now, and that number is very likely to swell.

SoCal Gator
    Participant

Ark. My thoughts exactly. The ncaa gets dragged through the mud enough already (and rightfully so). The last thing they probably wanted was to add racism to their already tarnished image.

Thanks 6. It’s great to be back. No particular reason for the large gap between posts. I guess it’s sometimes more fun to sit back and read everyone else’s thoughts. I’ll try and put myself out there more.

SoCal Gator
    Participant

My last post was supposed to begin ‘Stl’, not ‘Ark’. I hate autocorrect

StLGator
      Participant

No problem SoCal. I’ve been bitten by that bug a time or two.

Corey
    Participant

The NCAA is opening itself up to what will soon be a lot of litigation for some of these kids, but since most of the transfers aren’t the high-profile players like Fields, there’ll probably not be much news about how much easier it will become for the players who want to transfer. Still think that the biggest issues will happen when coaches leave for other jobs, but not so much for firings.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.