Suspensions

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      postroute
      Blocked

Why isn’t this being discussed more?

There is word that numerous players will be suspended, including the likes of such playmakers as Scarlett and Toney.

It seems incredibly deceptive of the UAA to withhold information about suspensions until game day. Not that they care about customer service anyway, but how do you think a fan from, say, Palm Beach is going to feel when he or she makes that onerous drive up to godforsaken Alachua County expecting to see certain star players only to discover that they aren’t playing?

Let’s see…how many years straight is this now that star players can’t get on the field at UF? Grier, Callaway, Scarlett and the credit card gang, now Toney, Scarlett again, and god knows who else. Hey recruits, come to UF where your career will be derailed and you’ll never see the field. We can be national champs of virtue-signaling, though.

It’s just another nail in the coffin for this travesty of a program. Ticket sales are already down by 9,000 with an even greater, mass exodus of boosters expected this offseason when the new tax rules take effect. I really don’t think the morons making decisions at UF realize that most of us only invest in the program and come to that dump of a town to watch elite-level football. If they can’t produce that, then the incentive to maintain the same type of financial relationship with the university no longer exists (not saying people wouldn’t donate to their academic program of choice, but it’s unlikely it would be the same amount as the booster program because academics generally do not incite the same levels of passion and fervor).

I would really like to see the Sun examine this dynamic, if any editors/writers happen to be browsing. Pat Dooley claimed to be interested in the fans’ loss of interest back in the summer…while not the sole reason or even one of the major reasons, it’s these type of deceptive maneuvers by the UAA that contributes to the bad taste in everyone’s mouths. When 60 cents of every dollar we donate is already being diverted to a bunch of sports that the majority of us do not care about, it’s a real punch in the gut to not even get to enjoy what few star athletes that we do somehow trick into coming here in the one sport we actually care about. The UAA is like a restaurant that advertises a certain menu only to tell you that certain items are not available once you make the effort to actually dine there. What customer is going to keep going back to that? I guess they think since they added that stupid, self-righteous “with integrity” clause to their “championship program” tagline that it justifies whatever. They’ll see….like I said, ticket sales are already down 9,000 (even with a new regime, which normally provides a boost) with many more booster losses to come this spring.

Warrington should use the UAA/Florida Football as a case-study for how to alienate and destroy a customer base. My family began its financial relationship with UF in the late 70’s, eventually becoming Scholarship Club members in the 90’s and then Bull Gators in the early 2000’s. My Dad used to say there was nothing that made him happier than being with our family at Gator games and we attended all of them – home, away, SECCG, and bowls. He passed several years ago and now I can think of nothing greater than bringing that legacy to end this spring when I refuse to renew the booster package (even though some family members will oppose my decision, I will be able to justify it due to the lack of tax benefits). I’m sure some family members will still buy individual tickets to games here and there, but the comprehensive, “all in” Bull Gator era is coming to an end and I can’t wait. I’m done being jerked around by this deceptive athletic department and only getting frustration/anger when I’m paying to be entertained.

gator67
      Participant

This is quite a rant based on a rumor. What is your source? Why do you think that it is reliable?

Another interesting part of the rant is criticism of the UAA for not disclosing suspensions at an earlier point. I’ve been under the impression that this is Mullen’s decision, not UAA policy. Perhaps you should take the issue up with him.

Finally, it is disappointing to see a fan, if indeed that is what you are, appear to show more interest in individual players than the team. Even if Toney and Scarlett won’t be playing, the Gators should still fare pretty well against Charleston Southern. Shouldn’t a fan be going to support the team as opposed to simply watching individual players? I hope that the players are more focused on the team than individual performances. It would be nice if fans did the same.

postroute
        Blocked

Give me a break. The UAA knows exactly what they’re doing. Ticket sales are already lagging way behind – and, in particular, for this game because it’s a garbage opponent – and they know the stadium would appear even emptier than it already will if more fans bail when they realize so many big names are being held out.

Also, it’s humorous that you suggest Mullen would be capable of making decisions such as this on his own when one of the main reasons cited for McElwain’s termination was that he refused to collaborate with the UAA. They want “team players” so that info can be packaged and marketed a certain way to benefit the program overall. Everyone singing from the same hymnal, so to speak.

The product is just laughable at this point. We sit here and wonder why we can’t sign top classes anymore…do you know how easy it must be for opposing coaches to convince a kid considering us that we’re not the best choice for him because at UF there are so many hurdles to getting on the field? Every single year we have top players missing time – often stat-padding opportunities, no less, which can play into awards consideration, draft stock, etc. – and for what? So we can pat ourselves on the back some more and say we’re a “championship program with integrity” even though we’ve had two 4 win seasons in the last 5 years?

There’s no way those guys from the gun incident should be held out, if that’s what this is about. They wouldn’t be at Alabama, FSU, and a host of other rivals. I won’t support these suspensions. Although my ticket is already bought as part of the season package, I’m not going up there to use it Saturday and, thus, hope that, in my own small way, I can contribute to a dampened atmosphere and reduced revenue from concessions/merchandise/whatever else. I wanted to bail on Dallas last year but, at that point, the airfare was purchased and nonrefundable.

This is becoming a great new tradition at UF. I wonder what the next big disruption/derailment will be? There’s nothing better than following a kid’s recruitment, getting excited about him coming to UF, watching him fall into a black hole and disappear as a Gator, only to then see him re-emerge as an All-Pro player in the NFL. What fun! Or even better, I love when they transfer and win championships for rival programs. That always makes my heart warm.

What a great joy it is being a Gator fan. I can’t figure out why ticket sales are plummeting???

gator67
      Participant

There are too many unsubstantiated assumptions and non sequiturs in this diatribe for me to respond to. I have neither the time nor the patience. I would suggest, however, that it may be time for you to look elsewhere for a team to support, or some type of amusement.

mtn2top
      Participant

I miss the good ol’ days when they ran stadium steps early in the week and then got to play on Saturday.

mveal2006
      Participant

there is a problem everywhere in sports with attendance. TV has a lot to do with it, but winning sure helps offset the problem, and helps with recruiting. I for one would schedule games like ucf, usf, Miami, and even florida atlantic, over Charleston southern and the other lightweights. those would bring local interest that would help attendance. to help other teams attendance, id prefer better places for road games, like Atlanta, Memphis, Charleston sc and new Orleans instead of Columbia sc, Arkansas, starkeville Mississippi, if we have to keep playing these teams at all.
      I can understand the frustration with the athletic dept., certainly the failed hirings have cost tens of millions to the university. the problem with not suspending players is that there is question, like it or not, that a. Hernandez started his rampage on the human race in Gainesville and that stain will take not just years but a generation to wipe out imo.

amayzng
      Participant

So here we are less than two hours before kickoff. No suspensions have been announced. Could this be an overreaction to rumors that were false?

amayzng
      Participant

My apologies postroute. That was good info you had.

mtn2top
      Participant

Do the crime and you’re going to miss playing time.

gator67
      Participant

Scarlett was not suspended (one of the players named in the original post). Toney was involved in a couple of very troubling situations during the summer, so almost anyone could have guessed that he was likely to be suspended.

Of course, we did not see much of Scarlett during the game since the Gators did not need to keep him in the game. Some of the other backs also looked more impressive, at least for that one night.

A couple of sources have suggested that one of the players was suspended for academic reasons (admittedly an unsupported rumor — take it for what its worth). If so, this was out of the hands of the coach and the UAA.

mtn2top
      Participant

Cece was out for academic reasons according to Mullen’s pre-game statement.

Coach Mullen is no novice head coach or inexperienced in player discipline. Based on how quickly he’s been able to implement his vision for the program, he seems to have a good handle on it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Suspensions for today’s contest?

Arnold Feliciano
        Keymaster

Only defensive end Cece Jefferson is still suspended for an academic issue that also kept him out of the opener. Still out injured are linebacker David Reese and defensive back Shawn Davis.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.