Some ‘What If’s’

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  It’s always something 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

SoCal Gator
    Participant

I find myself missing football season. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed these hard fought wins by the basketball team. The fact that they’re a bubble team makes each game that much more critical and interesting. Also loved the bounce back by the baseball team this weekend. But let’s face it. Football is king. The forums have been getting stagnant, so I’m going to throw out a few ‘what if’ scenarios. Feel free touch on my topics, or to throw a few of yours out there.
    1. What if Spurrier would have stuck around for one more year? Would we have beat Miami in 2002? I think so. Would Grossman have brought us another Heisman? I think maybe.

2. What if we would have hired Mullen after the 2010 season? Would Driskel have been a completely different QB? I think so. How many CFP’s would we have played in. I strongly believe that we would have been in at least 2.

That’s it for my rambling. Hopefully this provides you guys with some entertainment. Go Gators!

Gator-6
    Participant

Yes, yes and yes! God knows SoCal, I was just about to post the same thing!!!! I’ve got a question for you now……….”what if” we actually get some football stories once in a while? If there’s nothing to report on, at least make something up!!! A little fake news never hurt anybody! I’ve got to go now, I’m busy watching the paint dry.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

Those are 2 interesting questions which I think many of us Gator fans have pondered, SoCal.
      And I will start with the legendary H.B.C., Coach Steve Spurrier. He’d have at least one more N.C. for the Gator Nation, in my opinion. And the great Gator Q.B. Rex Grossman got robbed of a Heisman Trophy in Coach Spurrier’s last year here in Hogtown.
      Rex Grossman was one of ”Top 5” best Q.B.s in my 50 years of Gator life, even though he may not have the ”hardware” of a Danny Wonderful or a Tim Tebow.
      And the irony about Coach Mullen in your scenario is that ‘IF’ Coach Spurrier had stayed (as you imagined), then Coach Urban Meyer would’ve NEVER been a Gator H.C. in ’05. Thusly, present Head Football Coach Dan Mullen wouldn’t even be here now. Things that make you go hmmm.
      Go Gators!

SoCal Gator
        Participant

Haha. Did some painting the other day. It’s dry now. Now I’m back to waiting for some football. I haven’t been able to catch the AAF yet. Hopefully that’ll suffice

SoCal Gator
          Participant

You’re probably right GI. In my scenario, I guess I was assuming Spurrier left the next year, and we had 1 less year of the Zooker and 0 years of Muschamp/McElwain. That would’ve been amazing. And yes, the heisman voters should’ve been charged with a crime in 2001. Also, the voters in the Big 12 region also should’ve been charged in 2009 for (if I remember correctly) all of them putting Tebow behind Bradford, McCoy, and Harrell on their ballots.

One more scenario. What if we hadn’t been robbed by the ACC officials against the Noles in 2003 (still haven’t let that one go)? And if the next year against the Vols, the ref that clearly saw both punches thrown, had called offsetting penalties instead of just the 1 against Dallas Baker. Would Zook have kept his job a year or 2 longer?

Call me a homer, but there have been some major injustices done to our beloved program. Just saying.

mtn2top
    Participant

More recently, what if Grier had not drank that dietary supplement? – or stayed at UF after the suspension?

One of my favorite scenarios would have been Dan Mullen taking over from Urban Meyer.

How about Spurrier coming to UF in the early 80’s after Pell or Hall? He was tearing it up with the Tampa Bay Bandits at the time and many a Gator wondered why not?

Gator-6
      Participant

You know Mtn, that’s the one I’m most curious about too, even though we’ll never know. Was Mullen ready in his 30’s, or did that time at MSU refine his skills to the level he’s at now? I think we probably would have…………..

StLGator
    Participant

SoCal, “what if” is challenging to predict because there are always unintended consequences along any path that only become evident in hindsight. That said, I’ll give your two questions a go:

1. If the HBC was going to leave anyway, 2002 was the right year for him. By his own admission, he was burned out on recruiting and he “left the covert a bit bare” for the Zooker. I was at the Miami game in 2002 and can tell you with certainty that not even with the HBC and his Fun-and-Gun offense could the Gators have won that game. It was Willis McGahee’s coming out party and he ran all over the Gator D, controlling the ball, the clock and the final score.

2. If Dan Mullen had been hired in 2010, the Gators would have spent far, far fewer than 8 years wondering around in the wilderness of mediocrity and their offense would have been far, far more effective and entertaining. He would have made Jeff Driskel effective (at least,) since Driskel was a dual-threat QB coming out of high school and would have fit Mullen’s offense much better than the pro style offense Charlie Wise tried to make him operate in.

There’s my two-cents worth, which may be worth even less than that.

Go Gators!!!

Gator-6
      Participant

My “speculation”, StL, is that had Dan Mullen had any gravitas c Jeremy Foley at all, or had Jeremy Foley any insight in the least about what was potentially happening with his then-head coach, Mullen would have been given a heads up and therefore retained at all costs prior to taking the MSU job. As it was, Foley couldn’t have cared less about Mullen leaving, made an absolutely stupid hire — ironically of a good man who nevertheless wasn’t ready and should have never been given UF to learn his trade on — and followed that up with an even worse hire of a not-so-good man who had rather catastrophic character flaws and was really over his head from Day One. So yes, we would have avoided 7 years in the wilderness of mediocrity and very likely would have won a couple of SECs and perhaps even another NC during that interval with CDM at the helm. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it, so don’t you or Sly even try to confuse me with facts and logic, buster. I feel so strongly about it that I’m more than willing to bet Gator65’s entire stash of bit coins on it! Hell, I’ll even bet his carbon credits while I’m at it. So there. 😜🐊🏈

1974Gator
      Participant

Spurrier was definitely ‘burned out’ when he left. Our expectations of him were unrealistic. He knew he was no longer the white knight riding into town to save the program. Spurrier always wants to be the ‘savior’. Nothing wrong with that but the climate changes after you have saved the program. The same thing happened to him a SC.

Mullen being hired in 2009(?) wouldn’t have happened. I seem to remember that he and Foley had difficulties. The mix was right when Stricklin arrived. Mullen was able to get the HBC experience he needed at MSU with much lower expectations. Now he knows that his HC process methods work and that he can expect better performance from a higher quality of recruit then he had in Ms.

It’s unrealistic for me to hope that the Gator Nation doesn’t wear him out and chase him away 6 to 8 years from now.

SoCal Gator
    Participant

Stl, that Miami squad was tough, but I think Spurrier staying would’ve kept Gaffney around another year as well. Grossman in his third year at the helm, throwing to Him and Taylor Jacobs, would’ve been a lot for that Miami Defense to handle. As it was, Grossman was in his second game of the Ed Z offense, and it showed. Plus our defense was still learning a new scheme as well. It would’ve been a great game and possible UF victory I think.

StLGator
      Participant

SoCal, it’s not that the Gator offense would have been stymied by Miami in 2002. I’m pretty sure the HBC’s Fun-and-Gun would have been far more effective against any D than all those Ed Z bubble screens (Blah! 😴).

The problem was that the Miami offense just ran over the Gator D all day long and controlled the clock. The Fun-and-Gun only worked well when it was on the field.

Pappagator
    Participant

Socal, There is 0 doubt in my mind that had things not played out the way they did and in a perfect world the HBC was still OUR HBC, we would still have AT LEAST the 3 natty’s we now own and very likely a couple more to go with them (minus all of the baggage that the URB left behind in his wake). The 10 win years he (spurdog) had at SC would in all likelihood have been NC contention years at UF, probably beating the Urban led fighting Irish for the title. I personally liked the zooker and feel like he was just snakebit for some reason and could never catch a break at the right time. He was VERY close to having real success while here and will always hold a special spot in my Gator heart for the spoiling of the ” Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell stadium ” dedication. For me personally, that was one of my top 5 favorite wins EVER. Here is another ” what if ” for you, What if Musclecramp had hired away JU’s very successful HBC Kerwin Bell as his OC, instead of the boneheads he picked. How good could UF have been with his defense and Kerwin’s wide open fun n gun style offense? HMMMMM ?

SoCal Gator
    Participant

That’s a good one Pappa. The Gator nation would’ve been behind that pick, and Bell wanted to be here. Instead we got Ropered. Muschamp obviously didn’t learn his lesson as he hired Roper again at SC. Muschamp was in my opinion, the worst football hire we’ve had in a long, long time. That’s saying a lot considering his successor. I was a huge fan of the Zooker except for his record of course.

Gator65
    Participant

Damn good stuff guys. STL go one thing there to add. I grew up in Ocala a Gator fan and a Dolphin fan. Never a Cane fan though the Ms. is from there and a fan of them at times. So she has a slight flaw I overlook. I still have my hair though there are places that I don’t think ever grew back after that game. When SOS was here and recruiting was getting to him you would think (I would) the AD would have done something (within the rules) to help there to keep a NC winning coach. While I know the NFL is the dream of most coaches or players we have all seen that some are meant for one or the other not both. I would bet that there was something in the Meyer camp that lead Mullen to leave for Ms St. It would be hard for me to believe Meyer wasn’t thinking of leaving, and a good leader would look out for his assistants. I do agree with SoCal that if SOS stayed we would have at least one and had Mullen started at the end of Meyers stint we would have more IF we would have been patient enough to let him get his feet. The interim period was hell and the two coaches were summed up pretty well here already.

StLGator
      Participant

65, I grew up a Dolphins fan too, in the Miami area, and had some sympathy for the Canes back in the early 70s BEFORE I went off to college (don’t hold it against me!) Back then, they were a bunch of losers who were annually sodomized by ND. The only question every season was how lopsided the final ND score would be that year.

The 1985 UM-ND game gave me an insight into the biases of the national media against teams from the south not named Alabama. Brett Musberger began to whine about how the Canes were “running up the score” when the Jimmy Johnson juggernaut continued passing in the 2nd half of a 58-7 mauling of Gerry Faust’s hapless Irish. I guess ole Brett wasn’t paying much attention to the scores of ND-UM games back in the 70s. The 1980s Canes’ treatment of ND was just payback as far as the city of Miami was concerned, at least until the Irish snow flakes developed red butts from all those ass kickings and ended the annual Canes party in 1990.

By 1985, I was already a big time Gator, but that day I developed an intense dislike for ND that has carried over to this day. Every week of every CFB season since I root intensely for two teams, my Gators and whoever is playing ND that week.

Go Gators!!!

SoCal Gator
    Participant

Great forum everyone.

Gator65
      Participant

STL ND went 5 something or 6 something in the late 80’s early 90’s and was offered a lower tier bowl and declined saying it was beneath them. It was televised and in the season there was some school out west that had gone undefeated and wasn’t offered a bowl. Now yes I get that some of the conferences are not the same caliber but also that season ND SUCKED and still thought they deserved more. The lack of sportsmanship and the fact they couldn’t be happy getting a bid because of the media power of the program. Around that time I started paying more attention to where the media focused its attention in CF (I think because we were rarely televised before that and I had just caved and got cable I hadn’t seen the disdain for the southern schools. As far as the media goes even in the south you are correct in Alabama is the darling. PF show etc I believe are out of the area. I have used it personally as motivation when the Gators or other teams have rocked the apple cart. Made my day when we crushed OS (can’t use the THE) 41-14 When T Ginn ran the kickoff back the media was lighting it up about how bad we were going to lose. As well as a few AH’s at the sports bar I was at. There was silence by half and the media started saying they thought the Gators could do it. There was maybe one going in on our side. Even E Smith before the game wasn’t all in on the Gators in his interview. In 2008 I was in San Diego for business during the SEC game vs Alabama. I was the only Gator Fan in the Sports Bar (Gator Chomping all the time) with full house of Roll Tide crap going on. 3 quarters of listening to that nonsense and a few in my face about our impending loss. The room fell silent when the Gators scored in the 4th. By that time there were likely a few possibly a few too many beverages in me that were of a fermented sort and the full on Rowdy Gator was makin noise. The tide fell silent at 9 something left in the 4th and rolled out the door before the game was over. It was cold for this Gator in San Diego and a Gator jacket was flown on the trip for the occasion. With exception/respect to the media guys on this site the rest don’t give us much credence or respect… To that I would tell the Gator players to use that as fuel in their drive to the top. When you get there the media may still not give you the props. To that you can say then that it doesn’t matter. WE ARE THE WINNERS AS A TEAM, WE WON AS A TEAM, WITH OUR GATOR NATION BEHIND US!!

Gator-6
        Participant

Damn 65, if we could set some music to that, maybe Jaws could produce the video!

StLGator
          Participant

LMAO!!! Now, that’s funny! Where’s Jaws when we need him?

What if UF powers that be didn’t get so bent out of shape over Cam Newton throwing that laptop out the window, or whatever he supposedly did?

StLGator
      Participant

Cam would have been just fine at UF had Tim Tebow left for the NFL with Harvin after the ‘08 NC, as he was expected to. When Tim announced his return for his senior season it caught Cam by surprise. He and his dad became very disenchanted with Urban Meyer, who had evidently had led them to believe Tebow would be gone after ‘08 and the QB job would be Cam’s in ‘09, with CDM as his guru.

When the laptop theft incident blew up, the well was already poisoned between the Newtons and Meyer. Cam challenged the disciplinary process that would have led to the usual apology, restitution for the stolen laptop and a game or two of suspension. Meyer, surrounded by all the other criminality and discipline issues on his team by then, had no choice but to throw him off the team.

That incident was the beginning of the end of Meyer’s run at UF. His ‘09 recruiting class fell to 7th and his offense wasn’t as dominant without CDM calling plays and Percy’s improvisation. The loss to Alabama in the SECC game brought Tebow’s passing deficiencies into clearer focus and Meyer was never the same again.

Cam’s superior passing ability might have saved that championship season for the Gators and somewhere deep inside Meyer probably suspected it. He also knew that 2010, without CDM, Tim Tebow AND Cam Newton, would be infinitely worse offensively… and boy it turned out to be the 1st of 8 seasons of miserable offensive performance!

The real “what if” is what might have happened at UF if Tim Terrific had declared for the NFL draft after beating Oklahoma for his 2nd NC and left Cam Newton in charge of the Gator offense. We all know what Cam did for Auburn.

Gator-6
        Participant

Now I know what you and Daz Wazzle are doing after midnight, when normal Gators are sound asleep — analyzing history!

Spot on, StL.

StLGator
          Participant

That’s because I’m as big a fan of history as I’m a fan of the Gators. As Mark Twain once famously said, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Doesn’t what CDM is doing at UF seem eerily similar to 2006???

What if Meyer had let Cam play, up 3+ touchdowns in the late 3rd quarter at Kenturkey, instead of leaving TT in, letting him take that vicious hit from behind, and getting him concussed?

What if one or both UF db’s that collided with each other in that 1980 GA. game, had run in to L. Scott instead?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.