Should the NCAA act to generate more parity in college football?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  StLGator 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

MexiGator
    Participant

Should the NCAA step in to regulate the facilities arms race? The NFL has a salary cap to create parity. Does the NCAA need to act to introduce some parity into the facilities arms race? Does the NCAA need to limit or eliminate the “football analysts”? I must admit the subject of regulation conflicts with my basic viewpoint. However, with the distinct likelihood of Alabama vs Clemson IV the subject of regulation merits a discussion.

mtn2top
    Participant

No. Sports aside, the disparity has always been there between colleges. The intention HAS NEVER been to make all institutions equal. That’s not possible for many reasons.

Besides, it would be nearly impossible to set a regulatory standard on facilities.

You are looking at a handful of elite colleges and universities and identifying a problem that doesn’t exist for a majority of institutions.

StLGator
    Participant

Bad idea MexiGator! See my more detailed response to this question under today’s baseball stadium article.

Go Gators!!!

JIM
    Participant

No way who doesn’t like watching the same 10 teams end up in the top ten every year??? Forget all the other football programs that can’t match the facilities, money spent on their million dollar bands or the big contracts given to their coaches 100 million dollars!!! It’s great when a program like that looses a coach and falls to the bottom so another team can hurry and fill the spot. But really it wouldn’t work because there is to much money involved for the little guys to play.

MexiGator
    Participant

I guess I should just be happy to have my team as one of the 25 or so teams that theoretically can compete for a championship. As I mentioned before I understand not regulating facilities. However, I think the NCAA has a blind eye when it comes to the football analysts.

SoCalGator83
      Participant

JIM you are spot on.When a program loses a coach, the dominance once held usually falls. Look no further to when SOS and UM left Florida. Alabama and Clemson have been fortunate in keeping their head coaches.

StLGator
    Participant

The key to success today is elite recruiting, which is a tricky business. Those coaches who are really good at it (Saban, Meyer, Smart) DEMAND and usually get the highest salaries and best support conditions (facilities and support staff). Losing such a coach WILL hurt any program, at least till they hire another one just as good, or better. Watch what happens at Ohio State over the next couple of years.

Elite recruits want to go where it is OBVIOUS TO THEM they will get early playing time, get trained in 3 years for the NFL, and have a realistic chance to win championships EVERY YEAR they’re there. So, once the ball gets rolling, the rich WILL get richer.

The NCAA already limits the number of scholarship players to 85 per school and the number of assistant coaches on paid staff. They could limit paid support staff (analysts), but that may not make much difference.

The biggest parity move the NCAA can make would be to reduce the scholarship player limit to 80, or 75 per school. After all, the NFL can make it work fine with a 55 player roster limit. Such a move would be resisted by elite programs using player safety as an argument, but would take 5 to 10 good players off their rosters and distribute them around to second tier schools.

THAT move might expand the field of realistically NC competitive programs from the 12 that have won the last 20 NCs to perhaps the full 25 (or so) that meet all the conditions to field NC teams. However, that STILL won’t open the CFP door to the likes of UCF until they get invited to join a Power 5 conference and EARN IT during the regular season.

The NCAA can also expand the CFP field to 8 teams and MANDATE that any Group of 5 team ranked in the CFP Top 10 get a spot in the CFP. THAT would only be approved by university presidents in exchange for GUARANTEED spots to ALL Power 5 conference champs and Notre Dame IF they also finish in the CFP Top 10. THAT move would NOT eliminate the annual committee “beauty contest” and potentially leave out teams like UGA, who finished in the CFP Top 8, but did NOT win their conference title.

THAT last move would inevitably introduce 3-loss mediocrity into the CFP field, thereby diminishing the value of the regular season and NOT make programs outside the Top 25 any more competitive than they are today. I for one, don’t care to see THAT happen to my favorite sport.

Go Gators!!!

MexiGator
    Participant

StLGator,
    Could Georgia beat every other team in the CFP at a neutral site?
    Could Georgia beat Alabama in a rematch? (Even w/ the boneheaded Kirby)

I completely understand the argument that the regular season and conference championships must matter for something. However, if Alabama lost to Georgia they still would have been in the CFP along with Georgia. No system is perfect. However, I would be in favor of an 8-team playoff.

StLGator
      Participant

Mexi, IMHO UGA would play even with Clemson, beat Oklahoma and stomp on Notre Dame. That said, they GOT their shot at the Tide and blew it… yet AGAIN!

Give other undefeated and 1-loss teams in the the Power 5 their shots now. A slightly better case could be made for Ohio State getting their shot at Bama (although we both know UGA would kick their asses too!) I like the fact that no 2-loss team has YET made the CFP field of 4. And NO 3-loss team EVER WILL!

Now, I have a couple of questions for you. Would the SEC Championship have been the spectacular game it turned out to be IF Bama and UGA had entered that game KNOWING they BOTH had a lock on one of 8 playoff spots? Would Saban have risked playing an injured Tua knowing that? If you answered NO to either of those questions then you understand the value of the 4-team playoff.

Go Gators!!!

StLGator
      Participant

BTW, note I limited my CFP field of 4 above to Power 5 teams only.

I just finished watching an excellent Birmingham Bowl where Wake Forrest barely beat Memphis. That was the same Memphis team that TWICE nearly beat UCF this season. It was also the same Wake Forrest team that lost 56-27 to Notre Dame and 63-3 to Clemson!

If THAT result doesn’t put to rest UCF’s claim to one of the 4 CFP spots, nothing short of LSU kicking their butts in the Fiesta Bowl will.

Geau Tigers!!!

StLGator
    Participant

Speaking of the 25 (or so) college football programs with a RELISTIC chance to win football NCs, check out the Forbes story on the following link:

https://www3.forbes.com/business/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2018/?utm_campaign=College-Footballs-Most-Valuable-Teams-2018-tablet&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=ob99780t1us&lcid=ob99780t1us&utm_content=0088d0cf137788454d6e669fde6023026b&utm_term=insider.espn.com%2F

Nobody should cry for any of those 25 Power 5 schools if they fail to field NC competitive football programs EVERY season. NONE OF THEM is lacking for the “resources” necessary to make it happen. BTW, the Gators only come in at #10!

It takes MORE than availability of “resources” to win football NCs. It takes university administrations and ADs willing to smartly “invest” them. Thankfully, UF now appears to have those.

Go Gators!!!

MexiGator
    Participant

No surprise that the SEC dominates the Top 15 of college footballs highest revenue generators. If Bear Bryant were alive today he would add Texas A&M to the list of sleeping giants. However, with A&Ms recent spending spree on facilities and coaches, I find their reported profit of $107 million a bit hard to believe.

Florida athletics sent a reported $17 million of the profit back to the university, second only to Nortre Dame. It would appear that the money for closing the funding gap on the Master Plan already exists. Where does the athletic department money go? Endowments? I’m seeing a picture develop. Maybe Foley had a lot of pressure exerted on him to fund Endowments instead of facilities.

MexiGator
    Participant

StL, I feel no love for Georgia and loved the fact that they choked. It could only help Florida gain on them. It’s true that they had their chance and blew it. The game once again exposed Kirby as a lousy game day coach. Their success rides on being salesmen to recruits. They have done a remarkable job so far of selling a program that has the worst facilities of any elite team. However, I don’t think it will be sustainable. Time will tell.

I’m sure Saban considered the risk of not playing Tua and losing the chance to be in the CFP greater than the risk of hurting his QB. He certainly didn’t know the Hurts would respond to the pressure in the way that he did. Going into the game Saban didn’t want to give the CFP committee any reason not to include Alabama. However, I think Alabama was in the CFP regardless of the outcome unless it was a blowout. I agree that Georgia’s mentality entering the game was win or bust which made for a great game.

I also completely agree that the current 4-team CFP makes the regular season and conference championships the most intense of any sport. No room for a slip up. At least one conference champion is going to be left out every year and two in years when Nortre Dame is worthy. However, in the long run I don’t see the Big10 and Pac12, or any conference, accepting the fact that they won’t get one team in every year. A few more exclusions and there will be serious grumbling no matter what they say in public. There is too much money involved.

Another thought to consider. One of the best things to come out of the NCAA basketball tournament is the plethora inter-conference heavyweight matchups early in the season. It’s great watching the power conferenc teams regularly go up against each other. Coaches love them so they can test their team without the threat of a loss eliminating them from the tournament. As of now there are maybe 10 good Power 5 inter-conference matchups each year until rivalry week. I would love to see Florida go up against a Miami, OSU or USC at the beginning of every year instead of a FCS school. Wouldn’t that make for a better regular season? Usually Florida has only 3 marquee home games each year. The rest are fluff.

StLGator
      Participant

You are right Mexi. Much though some of us see the value of the current 4-team CFP field, it won’t be long before it’s expanded. There is too much money in it and too much complaining from conferences left out of the party.

The doomsday scenario almost happened this season. Alabama was getting in the CFP, no matter what happened in the SEC Championship, but had UGA pulled out the win, they would have taken the 4th spot and frozen out Oklahoma too. THAT scenario would have put 2 (hated) SEC teams, Clemson (also from the hated south) and (hated) ND IN the CFP and left THREE Power 5 conference champs (Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12) OUT of the party.

The howling from 3/4 of the country would have been heard round the world!

LMAO!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.