Requiem for GS.com Comment Section

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe Shiver
      Blocked

Dearly beloved GS.com members, Gator fans, and friends,

We are gathered here today to say goodbye to the dearly departed GS.com comment section. The Gainesville Sun, Halifax Media Group, and The New York Times Company thank you for your condolences and for your attendance at this celebration of life.

I shall now call upon Gator-6 for the reading of the obituary.

Gator65
      Participant

GS has throngs of followers some read in silence some posted often others not so much. It was a good to read articles of substance and others of lesser substance. The diversity of Gator opinions some hotly debated some in not so with words of more well spoken than I but all ambushed without warning one day. Sometimes it’s not that something had to be done it’s how it’s done. So in one stroke GS fate was set. To my fellow posters some of you know me and know how to contact me I bid farewell and while this once fine forum fades we are GATORS 🐊. In all types of weather. GO GATORS!

StLGator
      Participant

Good afternoon fellow Gator fanatics. It is my distinct honor to follow you august gentlemen in extolling the now nearly expired virtues of this once great GS comment section. I was originally drawn to the GS website by the thoroughness of Robbie’s articles, the humorous wit of Pat’s columns and the passionate banter of many in Gator Nation that enthusiastically followed and responded to both and to each other.

I guess all good things must come to an end. With the near death of fan commentary on this site on account of the surprise pay wall thrown up last August and the likely delay, if not the complete demise of a promising Gator 2020 football season, there is really not much point in keeping this comatose website on life support much longer.

Hopefully some day, this once vibrant website will be replaced by another equally worthy of Gator Nation’s passionate involvement. Until then, so long good friends. It was fun while it lasted!

Hopefully this is an allegorical or satirical requiem, not an actual one, because the forum ending would show that even when it comes to having a readily available place to vent and exchange ideas about UF sports, it’s always something.

Daz Wazlle
      Participant

No, my friend its not satire. There used to be a big contigent on the comments section for decades, now its just a ghost town. G.S. decided to put up a paywall as was their right, though not very bright, and we all went elsewhere and found just as good or better writing and Gator coverage, like Gatorcountry, floridagators etc.. Many even started a group of their own to express their views about gator sports. Many decided to come back this one last time to eulogize the dead. Now Dooley can predict all he wants against gator wins and no one will criticise him!

Just woke from one of my regular campus dreams. Walked from Reitz Union to Tigert Hall, where there was a new addition, and some presentation I wanted to see, but forgot what it was. It was early morning, no one was on the Plaza of the Americas.

mveal2006
      Participant

i dont know if this is some sort of summer temporary relief, but im back at least for tonight.just sticking to football, sorry. i like this team coming up in football. i like Reese joining the offensive line, plus some experience, and Lingard to go with the other backs. that means a running game for Trask. that is going to be massive.we will have good receivers as long as billy g. is position coach. defense will be better than it has to be. backup QB is good if needed. i like this team. i mean i see us winning every game. even if its clemson in the final one. we might drop one that doesnt matter, maybe we wont. our other champions did, that gives these guys a goal. call me nuts, your probably right. i dont say it if i dont believe it, fifty times before i didnt think things were right. now i do.

UF should be no worse than 6-1 going into the all important game against the Toilet Drinking Bullfrogs of Georgia, the game that will likely determine the 2020 SEC East winner.

mtn2top
      Participant

Had to love hearing Dan Mullen’s optimism in winning every game. This will be a year to compete. Go Gators!

I’m like an old weed coming up between the cracks. I’ll be popping in for as long as they have the site and I can get to it. Been on here since SOS.

Beat LSU and the Toilet Drinking Bullfrogs of Georgia, and an undefeated regular season, an SEC East title, an SEC Championship, and an NC playoff berth are in the cards.

mtn2top
      Participant

Without spring training it’s been hard to access where the team is right now.

mtn2top
      Participant

…and knowing more about other teams. It’s definitely up for Gator grabs.

Very much looking forward to watching UF football. Won’t watch the KneelFL on Sundays though. Won’t do it. Can’t do it.

mtn2top
      Participant

It’s far from certain there will be a 2020 season.

What if campus education doesn’t return? As cases rise sharply in the state you have to wonder. We know what everyone wants. The reality of a public health pandemic may dictate otherwise.

The preliminary thought was to put a bubble around teams. As the Covid-19 cases rise it will be harder to do that without complete isolation from university life. That’s problematic with the NCAA. Then there’s potential collateral liability for the league and schools if they hold events with a known risk of contracting Covid-19 for anyone who attends, even if no one is in the seats of the stadium.

Let’s start with just the team. There’s bi-weekly testing being proposed, but considering the contagiousness of the virus and close quarters shared by a team, many players could be infected in any incident and out for extended weeks. That risk doubles every week with the intimate contact of playing a game against another entire team.

Right now, there’s more questions than answers about any sport season. College will be less aggressive than pro sports in making the call. The failure or success of pro sports in the interim may be indicative of what we can expect – even if it’s nothing.

Sly Sylvester
        Participant

Well said mtn2top. I agree with your analysis completely. It looks like the cases and deaths have leveled off albeit still at high levels. With the polarization in this country, I don’t see the country getting much better or worse in either direction.

The Corona Virus has no party affiliation. It says pay me now or pay me later. Some countries decided to pay now in full and have reopened after taking the bitter medicine. We have chosen the later and pay in installments. I’m afraid the economy, school, and sports will not return to normal until it has been paid in full. The installment plan is much more costly in the long run in my view but it is what it is because I don’t see a path to paying it off early before a vaccine.

Won’t get a vaccine. Won’t do it. Can’t do it. Won’t watch any sport succumbing to the kneeling cult either.

Gator-6
        Blocked

Imagine how I felt when the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff took a knee too. Having spent 32 years in that particular “sport”, I saw the signs many years ago but I still couldn’t believe it when it happened. And now the Gators too? Well, all I can say is, “If you weren’t a Gator, you were Gator bait”.

I imagine it feels like your service is being mocked. I also imagine the answers to these cult demands upon this country may yet have to come from the mouths of cannons, to conclusively end the mockery, and preseve the republic.

Gator-6
            Blocked

“What have you given us, Mr Franklin?”

“We have given you a republic, Sir — if you can keep it!”

Brewski
      Participant

I’m surprised I could get in but the title here caught my eye. I was an occasional commenter so some of you might remember the name. I, too, was a paywall dropout and it was a shame but, no problem, I’ve moved on. Don’t ask me how, but I’ve become really disappointed in Pat, Robbie, and Graham so it makes it easier to stay away. On a positive note, I’d be back if the paywall were dropped but I’m not expecting that. Anyway, I’m for a full return of all sports, full stadiums, no restrictions, screw covid, and GO GATORS.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.