NO SURPRISE AS STEELE HEADS TO USC

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cattrick 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

cattrick
    Participant

In the: Who didn’t know that was coming? department, former UF 5star DB Chris Steele from LA hit the transfer portal in May and is now going to USC. Not South Carolina, but Southern Cal. Seems he was a bit homesick (he’s from the LA area)and I guess he couldn’t get used to the way SEC football is played. I say if they don’t want to stay at Florida, goodbye and Mullen will get someone who does want to play at Florida,

mtn2top
    Participant

Gator bait.

JIM
    Participant

He was homesick and used the JJ excuse to get out of dodge. I understand that these are kids that have to make a big decision in life but so do students that commit and attend a university. What I don’t like is the fact that we are teaching these kids that your word means nothing anymore. I think we are going to find out that the transfer portal is going to be changed to allow every student athlete at least one free pass to leave the program if there is something you may not like about it. The problem with the portal is that it give a student athlete the option of leaving and not having to sit out a year if the athlete can make up some really good excuse as to why he’s leaving. I’m all for allowing a student athlete to choose where they want to go, we all have made decisions that we may regret in life but we can’t run from them to avoid a problem. You must learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes. That’s why there should still be the sit out a year before you can play rule unless there are some extreme circumstances that can’t be controlled. The other issue I’m having with these recruits is they don’t seem to understand what “committed” and what their “word” actually means. It seems like these days it means less and less to these kids. Again not saying they can’t change their mind or anything like that but what does it mean to commit if you are going to back out of it. I just don’t get it…we say it’s best for the athlete but I believe it allows them to run from a bad decision instead of owning it and understanding that you can’t just quit and go somewhere else if things don’t always go your way. Anyways….glad I got that off my chest…lol. GO GATORS!!

mtn2top
    Participant

Nothing like a home state advantage. That’s why we must rule recruiting in Florida and seriously threaten in every one of our border states. It takes a bit of longevity for a UF coaching staff to develop the relationships needed to help make that happen.

StLGator
      Participant

Absolutely agree with you mtn2top! When (not if) the Gators rule the recruiting roost in their State of Florida, they’ll rule the SEC and CFB Playoff roosts too.

CDM and his staff must continue developing relationships with all the high school head coaches in the state so they’ll nudge their star players toward UF every season. Players will still choose to play elsewhere, but hopefully the Gators will land their share of top state talent. That will reduce the need to hit recruiting home runs outside the state.

The question on my mind now (that may never be answered) is what drove Mr. Steele to go clear across the country and sign a LOI to play ball for the Gators? The conspiracy theorist in me believes he and his family may have tried to extract “special considerations” from USC and had their bluff called.

Whatever happened, the Gators are better off without Mr. Steele on their roster. An unhappy player will always be a drag on the program, even if he manages to stay out of trouble.

GO GATORS!!!

mtn2top
    Participant

Young man far from home, I can see a lot of reasons for him to get back to the other coast where he’s known and will stand out on the field more.

Most of the roster attrition at UF is due to the high talent level we have in most positions. No matter how highly recruited the kid out of HS, we have more talented and capable players in front of most of them.

It’s difficult to come to UF and play as a freshman. That’s a good thing in my assessment. This year we should see a boost in the Mullen effect as players are familiar with the coaches, terminology and more knowledgeable of the scheme.

cattrick
    Participant

It is no secret in college football that Southern Cal knows how to get its players and their famiies “benefits.” I used to work in LA as a reporter and the rumors were there every year. Likes”Why is Reggie Bush driving a brand new Mercedes?” AND MORE.Goodbye Steele–and now you can get that MASERATI you couldn’t get at Florida.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.