Gators vs. Canes Aug. 24

This topic contains 26 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

cattrick
    Participant

Gator Nation: Just 49 days until Florida vs. Canes. Opening line is Fla. -8/55. Just wondering what everyone thinks. Should the Gators be favored by 8? I don’t think Mullen/staff and players pay any attention to the numbers. At least, I hope they don’t. I know The Old Ball Coach used to know the exact numbers–and made sure the Gators had enough.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

cattrick, as a Gen. X’er who grew up in Hogtown while absolutely hating Miami, this game probably means more to the older Gator fans, like me, than it does for the younger Gator fans. It will probably be a lot closer than any so-called ”expert” thinks. Florida by a T.D., I’d take it now and talk much crap! But anything goes in Florida vs. Miami. I just hope Dan Mullen educates these players on how big a game this once was ”back in the day.” I know the stories on how Coach Spurrier educated his players so well on the UGA game that the HBC only lost once to them as Florida’s Head Coach. Ultimately, I could see Florida winning by 17 points, but I see visions of the 80’s Canes in my head, and I could see Florida battling for 4 quarters against the Miami Hurricanes. And that’s what makes games like this one so exciting. It sure beats playing Micanopy Tech for the opener.

Gator-6
    Participant

Pssst….I have it on good authority that the Old Ball Coach hated that name! I don’t know about HBC or SOS though.

As far as the 80’s Canes showing up, in reality that will only happen if the Gators believe it will. Under those circumstance, I would say it’s a certainty. Fact is, however, that’s part of their hype and that’s all it is. What they’re going to put on the field remains to be seen — but I’m quite sure it ain’t gonna be close to that.

Not that they might not be good again in a couple years if they build their team the right way, but then again I BELIEVE Florida will win a National Championship again by then.

cattrick
    Participant

x7GATORGI70

Yeah, I’m one of the older Gator fans who remember when Gators played Miami every year. Let’s hope the 80s and 90s Canes ghost does not reappear. PS: I am so old I remember George Mira’s left-handed TD pass to beat the GAtors @ 1972. I remember Jones’ one-handed catch, stumbling backwards, to score and beat the Canes in 1984. Nice post from you.

StLGator
    Participant

Since this is the first game of the season, the oddsmakers have had plenty of time to evaluate both teams coming out of spring practices. The power rankings I’ve seen so far make the Gators one TD favorites. So, an 8 point line makes sense given the likelihood that the crowd in Orlando will be strongly pro Gators.

The interesting thing about this game is that both teams will feature salty defenses VS. OLs that will be works-in-progress. That points to a low scoring game. The Gators do have a significant advantage in their passing game with experienced QB and WRs, provided our OL can slow down the Canes’ pass rush.

I believe the Gators will win this game, but winning by 8 or more will be a tall order without winning the turnover battle, which is never predictable.

GO GATORS!!!

cattrick
      Participant

Stl Gator: I like the Gator secondary. A lot of returning DBs plus former starter Wilson is back from injury.

StLGator
        Participant

Great starters in the Gator secondary catrick. Not much experience behind them however. Hopefully, the starters will avoid injuries, especially early in the season.

StLGator
        Participant

And depth just took another hit. With the departure of Edwards, the Gators are now thin and inexperienced at corner behind the starters.

AustinGator85
    Participant

Dang catrick, the 51 days since I mentioned 100 days until kickoff have gone by fast. Hopefully the next 49 will go just as swiftly. GI, I was in the east stands when Jones made that amazing catch! I was also in the stands when we met them in Tampa (I believe it was Kerwin and Testeverde). The result sucked, but one thing I thought was funny. A lady with an FSU shirt walked up the aisle and she got totally abused by Gator fans and Canes fans…”Everybody hates you”! I almost felt sorry for her. G-6, I believe that CDM and the 2019 Gators will show up, and StL, I agree it will be relatively low scoring. My early prediction: 23 – 10 Florida. Oh, and isn’t it “Ole Ball Coach”?

Gator-6
    Participant

Hey Austin — you back for good? I’ve got a colonoscopy scheduled this coming week, so I’ll probably be off line for that but if you’re home the week after — God willing, the creek don’t rise, and I don’t suddenly find two hands on my shoulders mid-procedure in which case I may be in jail — I’m free finally. I tell ya, no dignity left up here in Salado…….

On the Old Ball Coach, that’s what Gelco tells me. He’s pretty reliable, tho I never heard that before myself. Maybe that’s why SOS doesn’t return my phone calls?

I’ll give the Canes a few props, so I’m calling it 24-17 or 17-14 at worst case. The game won’t be as close as the score suggests, but I’m accounting for them being more fired up for us than we may be for them — they may hang around longer than they should, in other words. A win is still a win, just no dumb attacks on the way to Auburn and LSU. One game at a time.

AustinGator85
      Participant

G-6, the Dallas project hasn’t started yet, but I have been slammed with work in Austin. Good luck with that colonoscopoy…one of the few things I dislike more than eating liver!

Gator65
        Participant

Dislike the prep. The procedure I don’t remember.

Gator-6
          Participant

65, let me hold about $5K for about 10 or 15 paydays, and I’ll pay you that in cash money to fly out here and take it for me!

Gator65
            Participant

Missed this one but I see 6 survived. But no bet here. Said I didn’t remember the procedure. I painfully remember the prep.

mtn2top
    Participant

On a cursive glance, there’s potential for this game to get out of hand for Miami. I’m thinking conservatively, 24-10 Gators.

The offensive game plan for Florida is obvious. Run effectively, go deep into the play clock before snaps and mix in low-risk passing to keep the Miami defense honest. Initially Miami will stuff the box and take it’s chances on pushing around a newly formed Gator offensive line. Franks and our stable of running backs are more than capable of making a defense pay for that strategy.

It’s not that hard for Mullen through the game plan and play-calling to minimize reliance on the line.

On the other side of the ball, I see Florida at a clear advantage. The Florida defense came back largely intact (especially with the same coordinator and scheme) and will make it a very tough day for a Miami offense led by sophomore Martel, or freshmen Williams to generate points.

Just how desperate Miami gets in the course of the game will determine defensive points, a factor I have not completely accounted for in a score prediction.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I don’t usually ”double-dip” in these Forums, but I had to this time. It is officially only ”7 Saturdays” away now ’till Florida vs. The ‘U’ in ”The ‘O’ Town Showdown” (and yea, you can use my made-up phrase on T.V. and radio… lol).
    I am beginning to get completely jacked-up for this game: Miami Hurricanes vs. The mighty Florida Gators, with no other games scheduled for these 2 teams as of today. So, let’s do this Hogtown Style, Gators! And make the Miami ‘Canes remember this game for quite a while. Chomp-chomp! Go Gators! And, Just win baby!

g8tr76
    Participant

I arrived in Hogtown in 72. Just in time for astroturf, Dave Bowden and Doug Dickey, but we did whip um and noles each year until 1978. SOS was our QB coach that year and we not only lost to um and noles but also to the pups (Steve escaped to an engineering school in 79). We didn’t beat um again until 82. I was so thrilled by that win I went to the Bluebonnet Bowl, but playing holtz’s hogs was miserable affair. Yet, the best game of the um series was to follow on opening day the next season. The Gators whipped um (28-3) in schnellenberger’s national Championship and final year at um. um went 11-1 that year.

The game with um on August 24 is not only our first game of the season but a game against at quasi-“traditional” opening day opponent (in the 80s). The outcome depends on how much our O-line and Frank’s reads have improved but I think the teams match up well. I see a 83 schnellenberger beat down but a W is fine with me.

On the OBC vs HBC issue, I saw an interview with SOS maybe a couple of years ago, and I recollect that the question was asked. As I recall, he prefers HBC; something about the word “Old”.

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

g8tr76: You are correct about the HBC. Coach Spurrier even wrote a book by that title and he mentions that in a TV commercial. Curious that many longtime Gator fans don’t know that about the HBC. Google: Head Ball Coach and see what you get.

NashvilleGator
    Participant

My guess is that the Gators win for one big reason: Gator offense in its second year versus Cane offense in its first year, with a new quarterback versus two lock-down corners that will allow Grantham to blitz Tate said new quarterback (Tate Martell) to death.

Martell left Ohio State because he’s not mobile and that’s the way things were headed with Justin Fields’ arrival. So Zuniga, Greenard and (my guess) Trey Dean/Amari Burney should have a field day rushing the passer.

As for the rivalry, Miami utterly hated Florida through the 1970s. Much more so than the rivalry that later developed between Miami and FSU. For you younger folks who wonder why, type “Gator Flop” into Google. It’s not the only reason, but it’s a really, really big one.

mtn2top
    Participant

I’m still looking for payback on that ’84 Tampa game. It wasn’t enough to beat them in Miami in ’85. Gators will win big in Orlando to open the 2019-20 season.

youneverknow
    Participant

I don’t really care much how UF wins, but a MUST win is the order for this one folks.

mveal2006
    Participant

been up and down the east coast this week, and gator fans, the ones i talked to cant wait. they want to play miami, and as the hbc said in his first press conference as head coach, if we lose 50 to nothin they want to play em again. thats what a rival is. younger gator just has to see one, they will then know without thinking, but now all they have is the newspaper that just cant seem to get the feel of the event imo.

Gatorelf
    Participant

This game use to set the tone for the year and the winner could boost their recruiting efforts immediately. There was a time ( and I have an old AP poll clip somewhere) when the Gators, Miami and FSU were all in the top five the same week, 84-85. Imagine trying to finish number one (at the time) going through two top five teams as bookends outside your conference and then run the gauntlet of the SEC with 80’s Auburn/Georgia back to back. Almost impossible to overcome a savvy CSP dropped Miami and added a bye week before the GA game and walla. Florida got its first ( official) SEC title and NC.

Miami has been getting some great talent out of the Florida pool lately and always has their obnoxious swagger. A Gator win here will translate to better recruiting and boosted confidence.

Go Big or Go Home.
    Mullen and his coaching staff have coached up this team. They are ready for prime time.
    What will unfold vs. Miami from quarter to quarter is “relentless effort,”
    combined with consistent mastery from play to play. Explosive play will be the icing.
    SEC on alert: The Big Dog is back and will only get better and meaner from week to week!

mveal2006
    Participant

coach rumph, who was here for a while now runs their defensive backs. he said their young unit is one of the best pass defenses in the country already, and they have the height to go against our tall receivers and do well. i say this only to give our readers a taste of what i hear, i dont totally believe anyone right now.

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Mveal2006: You got your Rumph assistant football coaches messed up. DB coach at Miami, Mike Rumph, did not coach at UF. Chris Rumph, the co-defensive coordinator at Tennessee, did (2015-17).

mtn2top
    Participant

My hope is that UF crushes Miami in this game and any enthusiasm for revitalizing this series.

We are just getting back into South Florida and drawing some of the region’s best recruits. Why legitimize the UM program by letting them play us and SEC competition?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.