Gators no longer on Tampa Bay area radio

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Carlton 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

cattrick
    Participant

Shocked is the word I used when I heard that WDAE 620 was dropping Gator games in favor of the USF Bulls. Unreal. No word yet on what bay area station will pick them up but Gators radio market in this area has ALWAYS been bigger than USF. I’m sure the radio rights for USF are a lot cheaper than for the Gators. Anybody know who will pick up Gator football and basketball in Tampa Bay? This is clearly an economic decision and IHeart Radio will learn the hard way which team has bigger audience–and therefore generates more ad revenue for the station.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

I am not from Tampa but I listen to games on the computer at:

https://tunein.com/radio/Florida-Football-s230232/

For whenever I am in the car, I listen to games on the phone through the TuneIn App. The station name is Florida Football.

You will get Mick Hubert as announcer on both. Hope this helps.

debbie290
    Participant

I also love to TuneIn App when hangout with friends. eagerly waiting for rugby world cup.

mveal2006
    Participant

sorry sly but im too old to listen to a game on the computer while driving, which is why radio still matters. every new technology supplements and adds to the old one, but there is usually always a need for the original on occasion.
    what sucks about this is that the hedge fund that is making this mistake doesnt get quality. sure the gators only have a number of x, which may be twice a minor uninversity like usf, and we charge 3 times what usf does, so the algorithm the hedge fund uses says go with usf. but gator fans are good for five times what a minor university might bring in, and they have no way to measure it except when the following year they lose advertisers due to no results and cant figure out what happened.

cattrick
      Participant

Mvveal: You are right on about the algorithims. Here’s another one:

USF attendance is about 30,000 a game at RayJay stadium in Tampa, a 15-20 minute drive from anywhere in the Bay area. Gators complain when they only get 80,000—and everyone of them makes a 1-3 hour drive to get to Gainesville. Take a marketing survey of Gator fans who attend the game. See how much they spend every weekend they go to Gainesville, and what they buy when home, then do the same for the 30,000 bumpkins who got to a USF game. And you are right about USF. They are a MINOR university and have NO CHANCE of ever competing for a national title. It’s all economics. I think I can get the Gators on 930 AM or 1210 AM (wauchula radio), unless some station steps up to get the 11th largest media market in the US for Gator games. And who would EVER WANT to listen to a USF basketball game. And I played at USF back in the day when they first started Bball. Getting 2,000 fans at a bball game is a big deal at USF.

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

Mveal – Sure the radio is a lot easier if you can get the game. I don’t live in Florida so the games are never broadcasted here. I get it however I can, which means from a phone app when I’m in the car and from the web when I’m at home. If the phone doesn’t have strong speaker which is just about all of them, you can still transmit it to your car’s speakers by several different ways depending on what kind of sound system is in your car.

cattrick
    Participant

TY Sylvester. Guess I just enjoy sitting in my living room listening to Mick Huber while watching the game on TV in mute mode. I think it’s WDAE’s loss, but to listen to their PR for the USF Bulls you would think USF is heading for the national championship game. LOL. Vanderbilt will be in the national title game before USF–and i will be long gone from this earth. USF football is, to me, Div.-II football, playing UConn, Louisville, Memphis St. and a host of other big-time basketball schools. Unfortunately, this is football we are talking about. USF instead of the Gators? Spare me. LOL again.

Daz Wazlle
    Participant

try calling,605-475-0104 and listen on your phone using the speakerphone or BT to your car stereo if it has it. that is the official gator game number by IMG

Carlton
    Participant

WGUL 860 AM is the Tampa affiliate for the Gator Radio Network

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.