Game 1: Florida vs. Miami

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Shiver 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Florida vs. Miami. Who do you have?

Sun sports columnist Pat Dooley: Florida 24, Miami 10
    Sun staff writer Robbie Andreu: Florida 35, Miami 21
    Sun correspondent Graham Hall: Florida 42, Miami 13
    Gatorsports.com: Florida 41, Miami 14
    Guest picker — Kevin Brockway, longtime Sun staffer now working at CNHI Sports Indiana: Florida 27, Miami 17

tmcurvel
    Participant

Florida has the better team and talent. The fumbles and interceptions allowed Miami to stay in the game and almost win. Their freshman QB and young line could not get them the win over a more talented front seven for Florida even with the mistakes in the secondary. It was an entertaining game and both teams played hard.

CROCS
    Participant

Spurrier would have yanked Franks and inserted EJ or KT early in the 3rd qtr.

MexiGator
    Participant

Florida’s self-inflicted wounds (turnovers and pass interferences) and fortuitous bounces and deflections for Miami kept this game closer than it should have been given the dominant performance by the defensive line. There is a plethora of mistakes to review in the film. However, the Gators found a way to win in the season opener against a quality Miami defense who looked hungry for a win. I haven’t seen many Florida wins against Miami in my lifetime so I’ll take it gladly. I feel like Mullen in that I aged 2 years in the last 2 minutes.

mtn2top
    Participant

That was a major slugfest with hitting hard enough for a late season rivalry game. I’m quite happy to come out of Orlando with the win. Defense played to my high level of expectation.

One thing I did see that was encouraging for our offense was the play of the line throughout the game. Overall, the 4th quarter play of the entire offense was very good for execution and timing. If we pick up there next week we will be fine.

Miami has a good team, especially the defense, and will wreak havoc in the ACC this season.

Gator-6
    Participant

Mexi & Mtn — I’m trying to decide if I’m going to pay to play or not. Don’t mind paying, just the way they went about it. I can only communicate thru this forum since I used up my “5 free stories” on Day 1 of the change over. A lot of the old guys seem to have left for good, but it’s encouraging that you guys are still on along with Joe Shiver, BGRF, and GI and a couple others, for instance.

Only thing I disagree on is that I don’t think Miami is going to tear up the ACC at all….they got Mack Brown and UNC coming up, so maybe I’ll agree after that game, maybe not. The Gators weren’t ready for prime time, but it might be just a matter of knocking the rust off (which is a good argument for starting out with a cream puff, tho I was glad for the step up at the same time). I think the OL will be fine, but if Franks doesn’t pick it up soon I’ll be wanting Jones to have a shot even if it hurts Felipe’s feelings. The offense his too potentially potent along with the receivers not to maximize. If the defense can get their heads out after the first game and be coached up to understand that this isn’t flag football (arm tackles galore) and improve the pass defense, we should be solid by Kentucky and after. The blitzes and sacks were spot on, but there’s more than that as you know. Improve the sense of urgency on both sides, aka, relentless effort, and we can put this one behind us. GO GATORS!

StLGator
      Participant

I’m not sure I agree with you on UM 6. I was at the game and able to see more of the field than the cameras show on TV.

The Canes showed solid D across the board, particularly vs. the run. Their RS freshman QB is straight up BETTER than our RS junior QB and he has some good receivers. They also play a very manageable schedule, with all their tougher opponents at home. I wouldn’t be very surprised if they finish this season 10-2 or 11-1 in that easy ACC. This W will look really good on the Gators’ schedule as the season wears on.

On our side, the Gator D is going to be MUCH better than advertised and they were advertised to be VERY good. I know UM was breaking in 2 freshmen OTs, but 10 sacks and 16 total tackles for loss is just sick! Once the Gators clean up the shoddy tackling and unnecessary penalties, this D may be one of the top 2 or 3 in the nation.

Franks is STILL slow on the trigger, unable to go through his progressions and hesitant to throw downfield over the middle. Our TEs were open on many pass plays and only caught 3 for 33 total yards. One of the few times Franks went decisively over the middle in the red zone, Perine was wide open for a TD. However, none of that will change and CDM will stick with him the rest of the way, UNLESS he gets hurt and his replacement plays better than this.

The Gator OL was better pass blocking and worse run blocking than I expected. Some credit must go to UM’s excellent front 7, but it’s clear our OL is slow coming out of their stands and not able to drive defenders off the LOS. Their run blocking performance MUST improve before game 6, or Auburn’s top notch DL will make this Gator offensive performance look good by comparison. Not to worry, our D should make up for it!

Gator-6
        Participant

Thanks, STL….man, I wish you and a few others would get back on the boards and start posting again, other than here. Good to finally hear from you.

Joe Shiver
        Participant

StL, re-read your comment above and think about how much better the article posts would be with input like that! C’mon, man! Go read PVB’s comment on “$60 a year to subscribe to Gatorsports.com” where he analyzes the cost of a year’s subscription here to the cost of a year’s subscription to the actual paper in the ’80’s. Sure made me feel better about paying.

Gator-6
          Participant

I’m Gator-6 and I endorse this message. Besides, Joe and I are getting lonely.

StLGator
          Participant

6, I’m still visiting the website, reading all the article and posting as time permits. My problem is that I’m really busy and out of the house a lot.

Gatorsports changed their website a couple of months ago, taking away the ability to login to post using my iPhone. That really limits how often I can post since I must now be on my laptop or tablet to do it.

I have no problem with the pay wall. So, rest assured you will hear from me regularly, just not as frequently.

GO GATORS!!!

Joe Shiver
            Participant

StL, thought it was just me, but I can’t log in with my phone anymore, either. Mine’s an android, but it started about the same time you mention. Like you, not being able to use my phone, among other things, has limited my posting, too. If this counts as social media, it’s the only source of interaction for me, and the limited number of comments on the articles these days is discouraging. If it was a conscious effort to eliminate posting from phones, then that might explain some of the drop-off in the number of comments beyond just the switch to a pay site. I’m not tech savy enough figure out on my own if there’s a way to get back in from my phone. I’ve asked Arnold, but haven’t gotten answer yet.

StLGator
            Participant

Joe, it looks like The Sun updated their Gatorsports website and failed to include the login link for smart phones because it’s just not there any more. Hopefully, they’ll add it back in at some point soon.

gatorgi70x7
        Participant

Thanks for the ”shout out” for us Gator-6! We may not be as ”active on-line” as we once were, but we’re watching (lol). So thanks for representing for us so well, 6.
        And I think this Gator team could be straight-up dynamic on offense this season. They need to ”Just calm down, think (but not too much), and JUST PLAY!”
        ‘”Trust the system.” -Coach Hevesy. He’s spot on, it ain’t rocket science, just ”BALL!” Lastly, that front 7 on Gator ‘D’ against The U’ was tenacious and nasty, and I loved it! Go Gators! And thanks again, 6, for all your respect, (and we are watching, too -lol).

mtn2top
    Participant

Agreed that someone else should drive if they can’t get the Gator offensive machine to perform to its full potential.

Not unusual to see this site do dumb things to the run the loyal away.

Arnold Feliciano
      Keymaster

Joe: Sorry for the delay. The GateHouse IT folk have been alerted. Thanks!

Joe Shiver
        Participant

Thanks, Arnold! Also, thanks for the forums and comment boards here. I guess I’m out of touch, because after the FSU loss, I wanted to read their fans’ reactions. I naively went to ESPN.com thinking I’d see comments, not realizing they had eliminated their comment sections. I was desperately looking for a Nole comment board like Jim Valvano looking for someone to hug! I found War Chant and Tomahawk Nation, but their formats, imo, are vastly inferior to GS.com.

Go Gators!

Gator-6
    Participant

OK, in the best Shiversonian tradition, absent the tintinabulation of the bells bells bells and the backdating of the time stamp, I’m ready to give my prediction for the Florida-Miami game on the 24th of August:

Florida 24 – Miami 20

Were Gator65 still here, I’d bet his next paycheck on it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.