Franks leaving UF; good or bad?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

He got about all he was going to get out of UF, and UF got about all they were going to get out of him; probably a good move for him, and UF.

Gator-6
    Participant

Thanks for another excellent topic to discuss off the highway. You’re exactly right. It wasn’t going to get any better and it wasn’t going to get any worse. That’s the long and short of it, it doesn’t have anything to do with character flaws, mechanics, or lack of heart — it is simply a matter of the biology of perceptual processing speed, which is not likely to improve much by this age. He’s got everything but lags there, and that washes out in a major conference such as the SEC to put a QB at a disadvantage. Besides, he will be overcome next year by the players who have been behind him, so why not get a fresh start somewhere else? All kidding aside, something like the MAC (no pun intended) and maybe even CMU.

Definitely do not need a QB controversy going into what potentially could be a stand out UF football season.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

My 2 cents, and even that wouldn’t even get you a coffee refill. But here it goes anyway… Franks was genuinely excited to be a ”Gator.” And that will always be respected by me. In fact, if college football fans remember, he was ”heading to L.S.U.” But he signed here and that meant the world to Gator fans at the time.

Unfortunately for Franks, he was thrown into a helluva a fire in Dallas at Jerry World. That one bad experience, in my opinion, sent him into a tailspin. But he pulled out of it and leveled his wings and gave the QB position a level horizon. In fact, Franks was able to make amends and thump Michigan in the Peach Bowl last season. But like 6 alluded to above, Franks didn’t seem to process the field well in the passing game. However, if you needed a long ball, Franks was your guy. In fact, I’d love to see some stats on Franks’ long ball vs the rest of his passes completion percentage. I’d bet he was better at that pass than any other statistically.

In the end, I wish Franks nothing but the best in his future and thank him for choosing Florida. I do hope he finds a team that utilizes his skill set and makes his final college years so good that he forgets the up and down years in Hogtwown. I’m a firm believer in Mullen now, and it is apparent that Trask is the best passing QB in the QB room that has an empty chair in it now. I hope both Emory and Trask stay healthy & happy, and thrive for their 2020 season in the ”Orange & Blue.” Go Gators!

Peach Bowl win was big for the program, and for him individually, but the Heave to Cleve will be FF’s most memorable UF moment.

cattrick
    Participant

Note: The “Heave to Cleve” at LSU was actually thrown by Austin Appleby.

So, the Peach Bowl was FF’s UF high water mark. Don’t know why I thought the Heave was at home vs. the Knoxville Creamsicles.

Joe Shiver
        Participant

Well, that’s because it was, IAS. The Heave to Cleve was thrown by Franks on the last play of the 2017 game against UT in the Swamp to break a 20-20 tie and avoid overtime.

The play cattrick refers to was in 2016 in the displaced game that was supposed to be played in the Swamp, but was moved to Baton Rouge after being postponed due to Hurricane Matthew. That play covered 98 yards and probably was thrown by Appleby, although the throw didn’t go nearly as far as Franks’ 60+ yarder, which traveled the entire distance in the air. It also occurred much earlier in the game, which was won with a goal line stand in the final seconds, securing the 2016 SEC East title.

StLGator
    Participant

I doubt any more playing time at UF would have significantly improved Franks’ performance as a QB at this level. For better or worse, what we saw in the first 3 games is what we’d have gotten the rest of this season, had he not been injured.

Playing QB is like playing chess on a board where ALL the pieces are moving on every play. Some guys are born with the ability to visualize where the pieces will be as a play develops. It’s just like arm strength, either you’re born with it or you’re not.

Franks doesn’t have the “vision thing” and Trask does. So, Franks ends up “not seeing“ open receivers, especially over the middle of the field, and forcing passes into double coverage, or dumping them off to outlets way too often.

Trask doesn’t have Franks’ arm strength, but more than makes up for it by “finding” the open receivers in his passing range on most plays, even when the D knows he has no running game.

Past Gator QBs who had the gift of “vision”: Matthews, Wuerffel and Grossman. Past Gator QBs who didn’t have the gift of “vision”: Dean, Johnson and Driskel. Nobody will argue that the last 3 were far less effective as Gator QBs than the first 3, even though the last 3 arguably had more arm strength.

Trask is another one of the former group. Franks is another one of the latter.

Up to the injury, he might still have become Chris Leak-like in the end, but to do so coming back from season ending injury, and needing to beat out two guys already working well in CDM’s system, was not in the cards for him.

mtn2top
    Participant

I hate to see Franks go. Nothing but the best for him. He was just coming into his own, along with the Gator offense, before his injury.

It’s always bad to lose an athlete of Frank’s caliber from a roster. He represents a significant investment in minutes as our starting quarterback.

cattrick
    Participant

I am sorry to see him go. A bit of a surprise as he, I believe, was a red-shirt sophomore and has 2 more years to play NCAA FOOTBALL. I can only guess that Mullen could not tell him he was guaranteed to be the starter in 2020. Still, All the best Felipe. You will always be welcome back at the Swamp.

He has potential to help another school’s program, but might benefit from sitting one of those two years to heal physically, and mature mentally.

Joe Shiver
      Participant

Actually, he’s a redshirt junior, cattrick. If you recall, he redshirted the 2016 season, and there was great debate toward the end of the season as to whether his redshirt should be pulled and have him replace Appleby.

There is the possibility that he could petition the NCAA for a medical redshirt to be granted a 6th year, since he only played in 3 games. If granted, he would have two seasons remaining.

Corey
    Participant

Felipe, like Kyle Trask will be a redshirt senior next year. The main reason for him going ahead and moving on, is that he will be graduating and will be able to play immediately. Also, I didn’t realize that he’s not going to be ready for Spring ball, so he’s going to lose a lot of time On the field with the team while Trask and Jones will be alternating time with the first team And receivers. Always felt bad for him as he never had a true QB coach in high school, and then Mr. Supposed QB Whisperer McElwain just made him worse. Mullen and Johnson gave him his confidence back and he has matured so much in his last two years with this staff. I wish him the best of luck.

Keowee Gator
    Participant

The ultimate bittersweet irony would be if Franks ends up at LSU and it’s Franks VS Trask in next year’s SEC title game.

Gator-6
      Participant

Wow! Man, you sure can think ’em up, Keowee……and all this time I was imagining Tennessee or South Carolina, or even our in-house Big-12 team, would gobble him up if he stays in the SEC.

I’m not sure LSU will get to the SEC game next year with or without Felipe, but it is something to ponder over the torturous winter months ahead.

StLGator
      Participant

Not happening! LSU has five backup QBs behind Joe Burrow (one sophomore and four freshmen,) at least three of which were 4* recruits. All five are now versed in the new LSU offense. There’s just no room there for a RS Senior who won’t even be cleared to begin practicing until next summer, at the earliest.

The most likely landing spot for Franks is a Group of 5 program, like LA Tech, where Jeff Driskel played after transferring out of UF. There, his physical talents will tower over those of whatever prospects they have on their roster and tempt their coaches to take a chance at having him up to speed by opening day. Driskel ended up in the NFL through that path, so can Franks.

Gator-6
        Participant

Inside line has him going to UCF. He better hurry though — after their bowl game, UCF is sure to declare themselves National Champions again and Felipe will miss out on getting his Disney World ring if he doesn’t get on the squad beforehand. 🙄🙄🙄

mtn2top
    Participant

If he’s smart, start pitchin’.

StLGator
    Participant

The latest news on Mr. Franks is that he’s in Lawrence, Kansas visiting with The Hat, who recruited him to LSU back in 2014.

Now, THAT’s a landing spot that makes complete sense for Franks. 1) Familiar HBC with a conventional run-first offense that makes few passing demands on the QB, 2) Power 5 program in a weak Big 12 Conference playing against weak defenses and 3) VERY, VERY LOW expectation from Kansas football fans.

That’s a trifecta Franks will have a tough time passing up on.

Gator-6
      Participant

It would be a good move for him. Who knows? He could wind up really helping that team.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.