College Athletes to Ca$h In

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

The NCAA levy on what is an amateur is breaking wide open in California and Florida. The rest of the states are sure to follow. Developments are sure to happen fast over the coming days.

This should be interesting.

Gator-6
    Participant

The purity of amateur athletics, relatively speaking, will be lost forever and college football will be changed so much that it won’t be recognizable. Forgive my dire prediction and for those so inclined signal your “woke” virtue to your heart’s content……but this is yet another example of cultural endorsement of radical egalitarianism that will lead to our further decline.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

To prevent boosters from signing contracts with players, they will have to register with the NCAA, pass a test, and have graduated from a different college than the player is attending.

On a more serious note, I hope it doesn’t ruin the game. I might have to drop college sports in favor of high school.

StLGator
    Participant

NCAA rules will have to change pretty drastically.

If ALL NCAA universities hold fast on providing no more than full-ride scholarships, then excess compensation for players will have to come from external sources. If boosters are strictly forbidden to compensate players that attend their alma matters, external compensation will be limited to product endorsements.

If the number of players receiving endorsement contracts are limited by school, then the Notre Dames and Alabamas will be restricted from fielding “dream teams” every season, which will kill the sport if allowed to happen.

If for every product endorsement dollar paid to one player, corporations are required to pay one dollar into a fund to be distributed among ALL other NCAA players that aren’t good enough to warrant endorsement contracts, then ALL NCAA players will get some external compensation beyond their scholarships.

These suggestions are just a start, but should accomplish the intent of allowing players to profit from their likeness without unbalancing or corrupting the sport.

mtn2top
    Participant

I don’t know all the answers, but it was wrong for the NCAA to monetize college sports to the extreme and not do more for the players. I believe this can be implemented without ruining college athletics.

An 18-21 year old would be able to gain some type of compensation in any other endeavor. I believe the school could have a trust for these players, or other ways to delay compensation or benefits until they leave school.

It was EA Sports, NCAA Football game that brought this to a head. Up to 2014, they paid a blanket fee to the NCAA and then used the names, numbers and stats of any college athlete they wanted. Some of the players sued and gained an injunction so that no further editions of the game were released with actual player data.

Jersey sales and other player-related merchandise (thier name on it) should also be “shared” with all the school’s sport athletes. When some college coaches are making over $100,000 or more a day, it unbelievable to expect the kids to just shut up and play.

Gator-6
    Participant

I guess the opportunity to get a full scholarship, room and board included, and the chance to earn a degree from a name brand university just isn’t enough anymore…..not to mention the opportunity to showcase one’s talents, if one is good enough, for a very lucrative career at the next level. Why fight it? The world is going to end in 12 years anyway, according to the party most responsible for the promotion of radical egalitarianism. But if that doesn’t happen, I’m sure we can look forward to tax payer funded reparations to those players unfairly not selected to go the NFL just because somebody “judged” them not good enough. See? This is a win-win already!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.