$60 a year to subscribe to Gatorsports.com

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

murphythefatcat
    Participant

Hi, folks. I’m assuming others have gotten the message by now that to get Gatorsports.com content, a subscription is needed. I personally enjoy the content and am on the website daily. But, $60 a year a bit steep for me. I would be happy with $20 – $30 a year though. Thoughts?

Gator-6
    Participant

Murph, I don’t mind the paying part as that’s just a fact of life anymore and the trend, basically. I’ve already said many times over that the under-handed way they went about it stinks to high heaven, tho, and is reflective of a corporate arrogance I find appalling — so won’t repeat that.

I decided, finally, to bite the bullet for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t do Facebook, Tweet, or any of that other crap, but the Gator buddies I’ve made on here are very meaningful to me way out here in Texas — the collegiality, the depth of football knowledge, the quality of posts, the use of humor, the different positions that are thought provoking — where do I begin and where do I stop? I must say tho, that many of them are gone now and the posts are thin, and that’s certainly disheartening. But some have stayed, and there are in fact new members who have some good takes too == just not many of them (Yet?). I sure do miss the ones who are gone tho.

Second, I think the format on here is superb — better than any other site, in fact. Pretty logical, easy to use, easy to navigate around, and thus far absent those damn pop up ads you find in other formats. That, I do appreciate.

Third, the writing is good, sometimes in depth, and factual but also opinionated. I like it, and I like the opportunity to criticize it when I think it’s off base.

So it comes down to $60 per year. Or, $5 per month. I’d be happy with $30 a year too, or $2.50 a month, but this really is one of those “oh what the hell” kind of things. There are tons of worse ways to throw $60 at, or $5, or even $30. The only thing that slowed me down was my resentment at the way they suddenly did this with no warning…..that is to say, the benefits simply outweighed the associated emotions.

Hope this helps, and hope you sign up. GO GATORS!

PVBGator
    Participant

So back in the day, when I bought newspapers, the daily list price was 25 cents, and 50 cents on Sunday. You subscribed, you got a nice discount, so the cost was maybe around $1/week, if even that. The Sun’s $60/year works out to $1.15/week. Inflation-adjusted, this is mucho cheaper than the 1980s. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I do wonder about the seasonality that they’ll experience with their short-term deals. I took the six-month option, which will get me through the Feb signing day. After that, I’ll drop it and consider re-upping again at the start of football season. No disrespect meant to the other sports, but about the only thing I follow these days is college football. No NFL, no baseball, no hockey, maybe a golf major. Thinking about it as I type this out, I’m probably in the minority, so I’d guess the entrenchment dynamic of the subscription is stronger with other folks.

Joe Shiver
      Participant

Thanks for the analysis, PVB. Makes me feel better about paying for the full year. There’s a good number of our fellow Gator fans who mainly pay attention to football. There are others, though, including me, who follow basketball as well, and also baseball, softball, and a mix of the other sports. Football is clearly the Bull Gator, though, and the comments shrink in number for the other sports. I just hate to see them skrink for football because of the Sun’s tweaking of this site. The main articles for a game of the magnitude of a Gators-Canes matchup should generate twice as many comments as it has.

Gator-6
        Participant

Joe, I have the distinct impression now that it is quite hopeless so far as interesting and thought provoking posts anymore. Which is not to say that the guys that do post aren’t doing that — you’ve been on and you know who they are — but there’s simply not enough of them. I hope it’s a matter of “yet”, but I’m beginning to have my doubts.
        Hope you’re feeling better, bud.

Joe Shiver
          Participant

Thanks, 6. I am feeling better. But, as you say, there’s just not enough posters to produce the number of comments we’d like to see. I keep coming back looking for more comments, but it’s down to just a few new comments a day. You can see who’s active, but I guess they’re just not as inclined to type as they were before. Like you, I hope it’s a matter of “yet”. Certainly need Jaws and StL back, and there’s more than them. I see 65 active, and I thought I saw some comments from him, but I could be mistaken. Then again, maybe he used his 5 free articles to make those comments. I’m hopeful that the site will build back up, but it seems like every time the Sun makes a change the number of posts per article take a permanent decline.

Gator-6
            Participant

65 and I communicate on email frequently, and I feel it’s just a matter of time. Rog was briefly signed in the other day, so I sent him a message on here — but if I know him, he never reads them anyway. Now here’s a peculiarity for you — GI was on and posting like always, good dookey, and then whammo, he’s gone. SHP is still on vacation but I got an email from him today which I’ll answer tomorrow and ask him again. Gelco, just dunno…..but I have his phone number and plan to call him sometime after midnite, tell him my name is Guido, and that he better get on the stick!
            Glad you’re feeling better — now watch out for over-correction….that happens sometimes while adjustments are being made. God bless…..

Joe Shiver
            Participant

I guess there’s no use beating a dead horse, but I’m afraid it’s going to be a long week with no game to talk about.

Gator-6
            Participant

True, true……in the meantime, ever hear the one about a rabbi, a nun, and a football coach with a dead shark?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.