2019-2020 UF B-Ball

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  It’s always something 2 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author

A solid core of offensive talent in Nembhard, Locke and Johnson could take the team to the Sweet 16, maybe further. The real question on how deep into the tournament they go concerns the inside game, a festering problem since John E. got hurt. Front court players scoring in the paint, along with denying opponents’ offensive rebounds and second chances is where the difference will be made, or not, and of course, everyone hitting free throws, especially late in games will be critical. If that all comes together, 25+ wins is in the cards.

tmcurvel
    Participant

The inside game after the exhibition and first game has been answered. It looks like we will get production from the front court which is so welcome. Once Coach White figures out the rotation, I like our chances of having 25+ wins. First test is reversing the win streak FSU has on Florida. After viewing the season opener for both teams, I believe we can get a W.

mtn2top
    Participant

After watching the first few games, I have no doubt this Gator hoops team will score and play well together offensively.

The FSU game will be very telling because it is our first encounter with talent and size inside. We are a little light in the paint this season and will have to continue experimenting with speed to the rim and shots from the perimeter. So watch what happens when Blackshear is doubled inside in this game. Sure to be a common theme against the bigger and talented teams.

Defense is not very good right now. It’s going to take awhile to play into better technique and different coverage. I’ll watch for how we handle the hot hand on opposing teams. I’m not sure we’ll be able to contain a hot shooter in these early games as the defense is just not there yet. That’s the most obvious need as we start the season.

mtn2top
    Participant

Serving of humble pie from FSU. Noles are replacing most of their starting line up, but these guys have played together and in Leonard Hamilton’s system. Classic illustration of how a defense can lead the team to points and the win – on the road.

All the pieces are there for Florida. The Gators are going to be a very good team as the season progresses. For the sixth year in a row the Noles got the best of us early in the season.

Corey
    Participant

They did. The team just doesn’t quite look completely in sync with each other yet. Hopefully, a few more game reps will see them get better. Don’t know if that lack of sync is causing the shots not going down right now too. Hopefully that rights itself as well.

tmcurvel
    Participant

I felt that some of the players were pressing too much to make their shots and when the shots were not falling, it affected the team’s defensive intensity. Omar Payne need to have more minutes with Blackshear. Go big and feed the inside game until we get untracked from the perimeter. And for goodness sake tell Nembhard to move(pass) the ball instead dribbling all day waiting to make the perfect assist.

Definitely go big when the opponent is going big, like FSU was. Where was D. Bassett? Seems like he could have helped Blackshear. Maybe they should see if L. Krull or one of the back-up linebackers wants to play basketball.

tmcurvel
    Participant

I got the feeling that FSU wanted the game more and their defensive intensity was at a higher level. I’m sure the loss to Pitt and all the preseason hype Florida has received created a situation for FSU to prove that they have some size and talent too. It would be interesting how these two teams match up in March.

It is much too early to be so critical of the team and coaching staff.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I do believe, at least hope, that this team will ”gel” and become productive on offense and in their 3 point ‘D’. But I’m not going to hold my breath for an NCAA invite in March, much less a ”Sweet 16” from this team until they ”prove their mettle.” In fact, ‘IF’ the NCAA wanted this team quickly knocked-out of the NCAA Tourney in March 2020, then just match them up with F.S.U. It’s Mike White’s KRYPTONITE. And that is a fact, not an opinion, either. Coach White is O for 5 against Florida’s in-state rival. And that makes NO SENSE to me. But then again, not much does lately. So…

mtn2top
    Participant

These guys are still learning each other names, much less their game. Give them a little time to play and learn together and they will be fine.

Developing chemistry definitely important. Developing toughness almost as important. Might we have seen a toughness deficit vs. FSU? Who will bring that toughness next time it is needed?

Nembhard calmly knocking down late free throws to ice it definitely a tonic for the troops (maybe some of it could rub off on T. Mann). Love S. Lewis and K. Johnson’s athleticism, and K. Blackshear’s inside presence, but who will play the M. Parker, C. Richards, D. Hill type role? It will be needed, especially in conference play.

Thinking of how things went in 2013-2014 – a near perfect illustration of when it comes to UF winning championships, it’s always something – I want an extra large can of walloping, one sided whup-ass opened on UConn today in their home venue.

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s the Achilles heel for this team early in the season, size in the front court. Adding experience only amplifies the disparity. It’s not that much different for UK in recent seasons with young teams.

Fans need to relax. It’s how the season ends that matters. There’s a lot of role development and team building going on right now – if the Gators are play at a championship level.

There’s more to it than just putting five guys on the court, no matter how talented. I Like Coach Mike.

Also like CMW, but unsure he is as good a b-ball coach as CDM is a football coach.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.