2019-2020 UF B-Ball

Viewing 64 reply threads
  • Author

A solid core of offensive talent in Nembhard, Locke and Johnson could take the team to the Sweet 16, maybe further. The real question on how deep into the tournament they go concerns the inside game, a festering problem since John E. got hurt. Front court players scoring in the paint, along with denying opponents’ offensive rebounds and second chances is where the difference will be made, or not, and of course, everyone hitting free throws, especially late in games will be critical. If that all comes together, 25+ wins is in the cards.

tmcurvel
      Participant

The inside game after the exhibition and first game has been answered. It looks like we will get production from the front court which is so welcome. Once Coach White figures out the rotation, I like our chances of having 25+ wins. First test is reversing the win streak FSU has on Florida. After viewing the season opener for both teams, I believe we can get a W.

mtn2top
      Participant

After watching the first few games, I have no doubt this Gator hoops team will score and play well together offensively.

The FSU game will be very telling because it is our first encounter with talent and size inside. We are a little light in the paint this season and will have to continue experimenting with speed to the rim and shots from the perimeter. So watch what happens when Blackshear is doubled inside in this game. Sure to be a common theme against the bigger and talented teams.

Defense is not very good right now. It’s going to take awhile to play into better technique and different coverage. I’ll watch for how we handle the hot hand on opposing teams. I’m not sure we’ll be able to contain a hot shooter in these early games as the defense is just not there yet. That’s the most obvious need as we start the season.

mtn2top
      Participant

Serving of humble pie from FSU. Noles are replacing most of their starting line up, but these guys have played together and in Leonard Hamilton’s system. Classic illustration of how a defense can lead the team to points and the win – on the road.

All the pieces are there for Florida. The Gators are going to be a very good team as the season progresses. For the sixth year in a row the Noles got the best of us early in the season.

Corey
      Participant

They did. The team just doesn’t quite look completely in sync with each other yet. Hopefully, a few more game reps will see them get better. Don’t know if that lack of sync is causing the shots not going down right now too. Hopefully that rights itself as well.

tmcurvel
      Participant

I felt that some of the players were pressing too much to make their shots and when the shots were not falling, it affected the team’s defensive intensity. Omar Payne need to have more minutes with Blackshear. Go big and feed the inside game until we get untracked from the perimeter. And for goodness sake tell Nembhard to move(pass) the ball instead dribbling all day waiting to make the perfect assist.

Definitely go big when the opponent is going big, like FSU was. Where was D. Bassett? Seems like he could have helped Blackshear. Maybe they should see if L. Krull or one of the back-up linebackers wants to play basketball.

tmcurvel
      Participant

I got the feeling that FSU wanted the game more and their defensive intensity was at a higher level. I’m sure the loss to Pitt and all the preseason hype Florida has received created a situation for FSU to prove that they have some size and talent too. It would be interesting how these two teams match up in March.

It is much too early to be so critical of the team and coaching staff.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

I do believe, at least hope, that this team will ”gel” and become productive on offense and in their 3 point ‘D’. But I’m not going to hold my breath for an NCAA invite in March, much less a ”Sweet 16” from this team until they ”prove their mettle.” In fact, ‘IF’ the NCAA wanted this team quickly knocked-out of the NCAA Tourney in March 2020, then just match them up with F.S.U. It’s Mike White’s KRYPTONITE. And that is a fact, not an opinion, either. Coach White is O for 5 against Florida’s in-state rival. And that makes NO SENSE to me. But then again, not much does lately. So…

mtn2top
      Participant

These guys are still learning each other names, much less their game. Give them a little time to play and learn together and they will be fine.

Developing chemistry definitely important. Developing toughness almost as important. Might we have seen a toughness deficit vs. FSU? Who will bring that toughness next time it is needed?

Nembhard calmly knocking down late free throws to ice it definitely a tonic for the troops (maybe some of it could rub off on T. Mann). Love S. Lewis and K. Johnson’s athleticism, and K. Blackshear’s inside presence, but who will play the M. Parker, C. Richards, D. Hill type role? It will be needed, especially in conference play.

Thinking of how things went in 2013-2014 – a near perfect illustration of when it comes to UF winning championships, it’s always something – I want an extra large can of walloping, one sided whup-ass opened on UConn today in their home venue.

mtn2top
      Participant

That’s the Achilles heel for this team early in the season, size in the front court. Adding experience only amplifies the disparity. It’s not that much different for UK in recent seasons with young teams.

Fans need to relax. It’s how the season ends that matters. There’s a lot of role development and team building going on right now – if the Gators are play at a championship level.

There’s more to it than just putting five guys on the court, no matter how talented. I Like Coach Mike.

Also like CMW, but unsure he is as good a b-ball coach as CDM is a football coach.

Things look headed back in the right direction, but extended scoring droughts are a nagging problem.

mtn2top
      Participant

There’s still a lot of kinks to work out in the coming weeks. It was great to see this team beginning to gel in the romp of the Charleston Classic.

One kink is consistency in three point shooting. 0% in 1st half last night, 50% in the 2nd. Still won, but in conference play, it might not work out that well.

Joe Shiver
          Blocked

The shaky shooting is a big concern. The player and ball movement was better last night, but the poor shooting, FT’s included, made it closer than it needed to be.

cattrick
            Participant

If you can’t hit at LEAST 35 % from 3 pt. range, you are in trouble. I also do not understand why some players suddenly just stop moving without the ball. I’m sure White has back-door screens, weak-side roll ups and other plays that require movement without the ball, but sometimes I see some guys just standing around watching Nembs dribble nowhere. WTH?

Hopefully the week off will have helped them get their bearings on 3p’s and FT’s for this next game against The Butler Did It.

Terrible 3pt. shooting, terrible FT shooting; looking like a .500 team right now.

Building some momentum going into the conference schedule. Should be 9-3 by then.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

“Enjoy the journey!” -Mark ”Earth, Wind, and Fire” Wise.
      ”Wise words,” and now I will humbly attempt to expand on the sentiment ”the journey.”
      And thank you for reading my thoughts and opinions, and thanks to Gatorsports.com for this platform. It is appreciated!

The million dollar question for me is was the Providence game an anomaly, or are these Gator players beginning to gel, and right in front of our eyes? Flashbacking now, but it was amazing to watch (giving away my age, 51) the Gators Men Basketball team for the 04’s grow into the ”Back to Back National Champs” for Billy ‘D’ in 2006-’07 (the last school to do it, too… CHOMP-CHOMP!). And I loved watching Cheezie go from an erratic point guard to an unbelievable ”disher.” As Chris Chiozza has the U.F. all time asst record (I think).

My point is this 2019-’20 Gator Basketball team should be fun to watch, and fun to watch them grow and evolve during this 2019-’20 season. However, ”the one and done” label that some of these Gator freshman received makes me think that those journalists have NEVER played basketball before, street b-ball included. Because while their (Lewis, Mann, etc..) potential is certainly evident, I believe they’d get crushed mentally and physically in the NBA. That is ‘IF’ they left after this season, I don’t think they would be prepared, in my opinion. But I absolutely love Scottie Lewis’ game to date, and his potential is sky high. But physically (as a 6′ 4” thin guy myself) he needs to gain some muscle weight before he’ll ball in ”The League” successfully.

Ultimately, I’m genuinely excited to see how ”defensive minded” Coach Mike White and his staff install an effective offense with this group. Because letting these players ”free-lance” on offense (as Coach White put it recently here at Gatorpsorts.com) is lazy on the coaches part. But ”Go Gators!” And we all hope they make this a special year! And Gator ballers, you all have the talent, so now just go make it happen! Go Gators!

Joe Shiver
        Blocked

Hoping it wasn’t an anomaly. The Friars shot terribly, 6% from 3-point range and 26% overall, and it was so bad that you have to wonder how much of that was the Gators’ D and how much was just their poor shooting.

The Gators obviously dominated and played extremely well on the offensive end, but they gave up 20 offensive rebounds. That can kill you against better teams. I’m hoping to see the Blackshear/Payne and Blackshear/Bassett combos for longer periods. The ref’s were so whistle happy that it was difficult for any of the Gator bigs to stay on the court.

The good offense was refreshing. If they can replicate that, the D should always be there, so they should be able to “gel” into something closer to the team that many thought they could be.

Maybe it was an anomaly. Making Utah State look like Michigan State, and limping into the conference schedule, with this much talent on the roster? Getting concerned.

mtn2top
      Participant

Clean slate in the SEC. We have many tough games between here and a tourney invite. Our team will respond positively to a regular schedule and league play.

Corey
      Participant

Hopefully the steady schedule after today is going to actually benefit the team.

Like the team that showed up today, but 33% on 2nd half FT’s won’t cut it in conference play. Not much room for error.

Joe Shiver
        Blocked

Not likely to have Gak and Jitoboh shooting most of your second half FT’s in conference, but I get your point. Glover going 0-3 is
        concerning. That won’t cut it if he’s needed for ball-handling at the end of a tight game.

Love the fighting spirit, and of course, the conference W, but spotting conference opponents 15-20 leads is living dangerously.

Nearly 80% 2nd half FT’s, decisively closing out opponent on its home court, halfway to 20 wins, and still in the hunt for 25.

mtn2top
      Participant

It sure is. Gators looked good on the road against SC. You can relax a little.

Hope you are right about being able to relax, and that they keep racking up wins through the conference schedule. but as I have learned over and over again about major UF sports since my first semester in G-ville in 1980, it’s always something.

Corey
      Participant

Let’s see how the next couple of weeks play out. If they play strong and continue to show improvement in court cohesiveness through the next 4 SEC games (2 on the road), their next big tournament litmus test will be when Baylor comes to town at the end of the month. Still hoping that the continuous playing schedule with the conference season is only going to make this team stronger.

Weather neutralizes opponent’s home court advantage, but team comes out flat, can’t find its footing, then finishes with a fizzle. It’s always something.

cattrick
      Participant

The way Mizzou shot was a wish from Aladdin. A one-time deal so I’m over it. Still the defense could have had a better fight, but it’s tough to stop ANY team that hits 63%.

Sounds like you are saying something almost like it’s always something, such as an opponent’s near magical shooting on a night weather neutralized their home court advantage. Don’t forget UF going 0 for everything from the floor for the game’s first 5-6 minutes.

Tonight was more like it needs to be – keeping conference home record unblemished – which must continue, if UF is to win 25, and get a good tournament seed.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

Ole Miss in Gainesville.
      Auburn in Gainesville.
      LSU in Baton Rouge, LA.
      Baylor in Big 12/SEC Challenge.
      THE NEXT 4 GAMES for U.F. Men’s Basketball.

And so this Florida team’s well into the conf. schedule. I forgive the Gators for the hard boiled egg they laid at Mizzou (snowed in, cold, etc…). But man, the 3 point ‘D’ has to improve greatly for this team to make an NCAA Tourney bid, much less a deep run. Plenty of time though, it’s only January. But no better time than the present to make it happen, Gators! The talent’s there, the bigs are here, finally! And all that is missing is consistently good defense! And Mike White’s a ”defensive-minded coach,” so… Just consistently play tough on ‘D’, and the rest will fall into place! Go Gators!

Strong start and a white hot, wipe out finish; looked like a 25 win team today.

Corey
      Participant

Funny thing is that they still won’t be ranked goung into next week at LSU and with Baylor coming to town.

Maybe my eyesight betrayed me, and I don’t know the applicable rule’s exact wording, but I don’t think I saw video proof sufficient to overturn the call on the floor that K. Johnson’s game tying shot was good. Loved the comeback, but they really could have used some C. Richard or M. Parker type muscle tonight.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

The loss last night stung. Insomuch, it coulda’, shoulda’ been won! And Blackshear did say after the Auburn win, ”We have to win at home, and steal some on the road.” And they almost did last night. But the Tigers have won the last 5 games with an average point difference of ONLY 2.6 points for their last 5 games. The LSU Tigers are cool under pressure (Hint, Florida!). The Tigers should make an interesting SEC Tourney run when the ”madness” begins. But for our beloved Gators, they need to make ”comeback runs” slightly earlier, like 3 to 5 minutes earlier. But the refs did suck in the ticky-tack fouls they called against the Gators. Some of the Gator fouls were deserving, but ”Really? Come on, man!” Ultimately, the mighty Florida Gators are learning all along this b-ball journey to March Madness. And April, if your lucky! But ”the harder they work, the more luck they will have!” Go Gators!

Corey
      Participant

Wasn’t able to.watch the game, but it just seems that Tre Mann is still having trouble transitioning the college game. I can’t wait until he turns the corner…he’ll be such a difference maker for the team.

Joe Shiver
        Blocked

You’re absolutely correct, Corey. If Mann can develop into the shooter he was billed to be, it will be great for the Gators. The new 3-point line is almost an extra 1.5 feet on top of the previous 1 foot extra from the high school line. This year’s freshmen are having to adjust to almost 2.5 more feet of distance on their 3-point shots, and it’s taking it’s toll on Mann and others. In fact, 3-point shooting is down across the country, as you might expect.

The barely late shot by Johnson is just further proof of IAS’s point about the Gators: “it’s always something”.

Now that you mention it, a well designed, near perfectly executed set play, capping off a furious rally from 10 down with a little over a minute to play, only to be less than 1/10 of a second late, is most definitely another illustration that it’s always something.

Corey
            Participant

It is always something…..going to have to be the line of this year’s BBall team. I’m pretty much a dunce when it comes to basketball I.Q. Just go by what I know from watching it and not playing. I’m surprised they’re having him even worry about the 3-point line right now and just have him shoot from the outside he’s used to and let him work out to the new line….maybe it’ll improve his shooting percentage, which hopefully will trickle into his 3-pt. percentage and rest of his game, as I have read that he’s a pretty good defender as well. Just a little boost from him and the 9th and 10th guys off the bench, Bassett and even some minutes for Jitobah, I still believe that this team hasn’t even come close to it’s ceiling. Really crossing my fingers for a complete game Saturday.

The crowd will be raucous with #1 Baylor in G-Ville. If UF plays like they did against Auburn, and like they did in the last minute at LSU, beating two top 5 opponents in one week is in the cards. Pulling that off would really be something.

Never mind.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

”The team just doesn’t quite look completely in sync with each other yet. Hopefully, a few more game reps we’ll see them get better. Don’t know if that lack of sync is causing the shots not going down right now. Hopefully that rights itself as well.”

-Corey, on November 10, 2019 at 8:23 pm in this forum.

And now, a little more than 2 months later, it’s still the same! I really do hope this team gets an ”edge” and ”an attitude,” or whatever you want to call it, ”want to” perhaps. As it pays big dividends, on the street courts, or in stadiums, ”want to” & ”desire,” and ”consistency,” all pays you back 2 fold most times.

Lastly, this team needs an identity, so this stretch of games could help them find that. I’m not certain about this team lately, I just don’t know. We (Gator fans) can only hope Mike White & staff do know (better than us) about this team.
      Go Gators!

Every time the team seems to be gelling and headed for big run, they fall flat. Who knows what team shows up tonight. Was confident in a 25 win season. Now it looks like 20 will be a struggle. It’s always something.

This team seemingly has all the elements of a strong contender, but can’t seem able to put them together, and consistently play complete games. What happened?

StLGator
        Participant

Poor coaching and player development! The proof of a good job of coaching and player development is seen in a team that rarely loses to teams they’re supposed to beat. The proof of a great coaching job is a team that NEVER loses to teams they’re supposed to beat. THIS Gator team should have beaten THIS Bulldog team in THIS game, period!

BTW, it takes consistently great recruiting across ALL POSITIONS for a well coached team to win their share of games against top 10 opponents. Gator BB under CMW haven’t had THAT either!

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

”Quadrant one wins are those home games vs. teams RPI ranked 1-30, neutral games vs. 1-50, and away games vs. 1–75. For example, a home win against a top 30 team would qualify as a quadrant one victory.

A Quadrant 2 win are those at Home against the RPI 31–75, neutral 51–100, and away victories over the RPI 76–135.” -Scooby Axon.

Suddenly now, this Florida Men’s Basketball team is on the verge of NOT even being ”a Q-1 or Q-2 win” for the OTHER TEAMS. And unfortunately for Florida, last night Miss. State put that win over our beloved Gators in their NCAA Tournament resume. Simply said, Florida cannot afford to lose these type of games anymore this season. Period! The NCAA Tourney won’t send an invite to Florida with more loses like last night (and on their HOME COURT, too!). This season is ”a journey” but… ”Hey Coach White & staff, and players, look! We’re heading back to the docks!” So, ”Come on, Gators, get up and go!”

mtn2top
      Participant

The good news is the SEC is very competitive this year. Florida is not the only league team going through growing pains.

Our crushing pre-season schedule also carries some weight. We can get into the tourney from here IF we win the ones we should and steal a game or two. This team can do that.

The loss at Kazoo, and the home loss to Miss. St. have been the season’s worst so far. Another one like those, then that tournament seed might be an NIT away game. So, tomorrow night needs to be a one sided ass whuppin’ from start to finish. Time is running short to get things back on track.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

I think it’s now a game to game situation for Florida, as far as the Big Dance is concerned. Like tonight, UGA at home for instance. Florida needs this game in a big, big way. And stopping UGA’s Edwards is the key. I’d put Scottie on him, and let K. Johnson take him on when he drives into the lane. Switch ‘D’ is the key, and processing when to switch is even more important. Because the switch ‘D’ has been a weakness for U.F., to date. Hopefully, it starts getting better tonight against those ugly Dawgs. Go Gators!

Joe Shiver
        Blocked

I know I’m very late in replying to your post, g.i., but you’re exactly right about the switching screens. It’s especially bothersome when either Nembhard or Locke get stuck in the paint trying to check a 6-9 power forward. It’s a deficiency of the 1-3-1 if the opponent can convert, and they’ve been doing that much too frequently.

Although, as I type this, the Gators are coming off an impressive dismantling of LSU, and are now facing a winnable road trip to Knoxville. They seem to be “gelling”, as you say, and Scottie Lewis played his best game against LSU, playing within himself and playing “his” game without trying to do too much.

Go Gators! Beat the Vols!

A 17 point away loss against a 2-7 conference record holder, and overall .500 team, is a bad loss, a very bad loss. That NIT away game berth is still in the cards, unfortunately.

mtn2top
      Participant

That was a good road win against Texas A&M. It will continue to challenge this young team to be consistent in their performance. They’re learning how to work together a little better with every game.

Being a bit dramatic with NIT talk. There’s another month of basketball before the tourney. Our freshmen phenoms are getting a lot of quality minutes in league play.

Graham Hall

Next two games are big for Florida, as they provide two chances to pick up wins before closing the season with Kentucky twice, LSU , then back to back @ Georgia and @ Tennessee. If they play the way they did at A&M though, they have a chance in every game, which seems to be about all anyone can ask for in SEC play this season. Last note: Florida is shooting better than 36% from 3 this season in conference play. Shot it just below 33.3% last season. This in what started as a down year from the 3-point line for many teams.

mtn2top
      Participant

That’s it Graham, it’s time for these Gators to get up and go – together. I think many have forgotten how little was left when the season started.

I think the Gators can play a lot better than what we saw at A&M, especially with improvements in players after the starting five. Tre Mann is an excellent example. If he returns to 70 or 80 percent of his potential there will be an immediate impact for this team.

This program is on the rise again. The talent is here for the next few years. The question this season is how quickly they can get to and maintain a consistent championship level of play.

Who will show up tonight? Every time UF seems to have put its troubles behind, something – and it’s always something – pulls them back in. 6 wins in last 7 regular season games needed.

OK, 1-0 on the way to the 6-1 finish needed. No let down Tues night. Ark. is a much better team than Vandy.

Grinding out a home court win with your best guy benched by foul trouble, is a character building win. Now it gets interesting, and significantly more challenging, at Roast Rump Arena.

A real chance to steal a much needed late season win, and to make a big statement heading into the post season, becomes a textbook case illustrating, all over again, that it’s always something. 18-13 is in the cards. So is the NIT.

Corey
      Participant

Locke and Nembhardt only getting one bucket between them was a big miss. Also, where was Payne? Did I miss something about him not playing? Quickly’s 2 minute stretch of taking over the game is what seemed to win it for them, but that’s what to notch players do.

When those guys disappear from the box score, bad things happen. It can’t all be on Blackshear and KJ, who’ve been steady all season.

Tonight is big, as is the rest of the fairly tough regular season schedule. UF can’t count on muddling through, then coming alive to win the SEC tournament. Never would have thought we’d be at this point with as much talent as this team’s got. Whole team effort needed NOW, or the NIT awaits.

UF needs to play the way they did tonight every game the rest of the season.

At season’s outset, if someone said UF would have hit double digits in losses by this point, or any point in the season, I would have said that could only be attributed to a rash of injuries. But that is not how it happened. Big road tests tomorrow and Wednesday, and they are must wins.

Joe Shiver
        Blocked

IAS, thanks for this forum; it’s been a great chronicle of the season! I know it seems you were on the island alone from time to time, but this has been a great thread to express both disappointment and elation. I think with a 10-8 conference record, which they already have guaranteed, and one win in the SEC Tournament, which they should get, they will avoid the NIT and make the Dance. Go Gators! Make it happen!

Hope you are right. Thought non-calls on Nembhard and Blackshear in the last 24 seconds were costly today, but spotting big leads in conference and on the road is high risk.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

NCAA Tournament Champions: 2006, 2007

NCAA Tournament Runner-up: 2000

NCAA Tournament Final Four: 1994, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2014

NCAA Tournament Elite Eight: 1994, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017

NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 1987, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017

NCAA Tournament Round of 32: 1987, 1988, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019.

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019.

Conference Tournament Champions: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2014.

Conference Regular Season Champions: 1989, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2014.

‘IF’ Florida Men’s Basketball wants to make it ”23 NCAA Tourney appearances,” well, it better get its act together, and ”get deadly serious.” Because tick-freakn’-tock. It’s getting late, and there ain’t no love here in Hogtown for the NIT… period!
      Go Gators!

That tradition’s power needs to be harnessed, then unleashed on the Dogs, who have only one really good player. When A. Nembhard is on UF has three (AN, KJ and Blackshear).

Joe Shiver
          Blocked

Well said, IAS. AN played OK vs UT, but KJ didn’t fare too well against the suffocating D of Yves Pons. Dude was playing serious D. A leaper, like KJ, but an inch taller.

Joe Shiver
          Blocked

Tried to follow up by answering you post above, but the site tells me “slow down, you’re moving too fast”. Go figure. Anyway, the no-calls on AN and KB hurt, but the 17 point first half was a self-inflicted death sentence.

Spotting big leads cost UF two conference games; at LSU and at the Knoxville Creamsicles. Add in that bad loss at Kazoo, and a double digit lead at home blown against Miss. St., and you’ve got the difference between 18-11 and 22-7, the difference between going into the tournament loose with a high seed, and being faced with just about having to run the table. UF has the talent, but so far this season, it seems like it’s always something.

mtn2top
      Participant

I like where we are as a young team going into March. There isn’t a lot of expectation on the Gators.

We’re playing good defense and have enough scoring from every position to keep teams adjusting to compete. Our roster is balanced in speed, size and finesse. A young Gator bench gained valuable game minutes this roller coaster season.

Now the stakes go up another level and so should the play.

mtn2top
      Participant

Shout out for Scottie Lewis in the Georgia game. In a battle of 5 star recruits, great defense on Anthony Edwards and plenty of offense on the other end. He’s ready for some tourney play.

Up 18 with just over 11 minutes to play, with a chance to secure a #2 SEC tourney seed with its extra day of rest, to secure a 20 win season – and without their best player for most of the game -to defeat a nationally ranked team, the visitors from Rump Roast Arena, but no. No, UF could just not have that today, because it’s always something. Terrible end to a super weird schizo regular season.

Corey
      Participant

I wasn’t able to watch the game yesterday, and i’m believing that I was one of the lucky ones. Too bad that they lost the No. 2 seed and double-bye, but they definitely have a great opportunity to meet up with UK again in the semi-finals. Hopefully Blackshear’s wrist is alright. Once again Tre Mann was missing…hope he’s not injured, and I hope he’s not getting discouraged to transfer. I do have to say that I wouldn’t mind their place in the latest bracketology. I would like their chances to get to the Elite 8 with another rematch vs. UK, but that’s a whole week away, and they’re like a box of chocolates…never know what you’re going to get. Like you say IAS…..it’s always something.

The talent is there for a solid post season run. Hopes up, but expectations low; too many slow starts, extended scoring droughts, and blown leads.

orlandogator77
      Participant

This game was bound to happen with this team. They are young and inexperienced. They go through long scoring droughts and they are flawed. My bigger concern is with the program as a whole. I really hope they make a run in the tournament but right now it does not set up well for that to happen.

In all likelihood, UF will not win the SEC basketball tournament or the NCAA tournament. This will give them 14 loses this year. Mike White has lost 14+ games in a season in 3 of his 5 seasons. He has lost 13+ games in 4 of 5 seasons.

I went all the way back to 1980, when Norm Sloan was hired for his second tenure at UF. To that point, Gator basketball had never been to the NCAA tournament and had losing seasons in 7 of the 10 previous years.

Since 1980 (40 seasons), UF has lost 14+ games in 13 seasons (32.5%). Mike White has lost 14+ in 3 of his 5 seasons (60%). That 40 years spans Norm Sloan, Don DeVoe, Lon Kruger, Billy Donovan and Mike White.

Here are their percentages:
      Norm Sloan – 9 seasons; 3 14+ loss seasons (33%)
      Don Devoe – 1 season; 1 14+ loss season (100%)
      Lon Kruger – 6 seasons; 3 14+ loss seasons (50%)
      Billy Donovan – 19 seasons; 3 14+ loss seasons (15.7%)
      Mike White – 5 seasons; 3 14+ loss seasons (60%)

This is not a comparison of White to Donovan. Of course Donovan was a much better coach, but he is one of the best in history. This compares White to Kruger, DeVoe, Sloan and goes back to when Gator basketball lived in the dark ages and celebrated a Final Four in the NIT!

Throughout the years, the number of games has not changed much. I guess you could make an argument that if you make the tournament you have one more opportunity to lose a 14th game, but if that is the standard, then we should just shut the program down.

Lets look at strength of schedule from sports-reference.com. The higher the number the tougher the schedule.
      Sloan: 8.44
      DeVoe: 9.24
      Kruger: 9.25
      Donovan: 8.61
      White: 10.1

White has definitely played tougher schedules but they have not been significantly harder than those the other coaches have faced. You could also argue that no other coach was left with more talent than White. You could also argue that the tougher schedule is the only reason White is even making the tournament with that many losses.

You might also say that the SEC is more balanced and tougher than it was in the 80s, 90s and 00s.
      In the 80’s, each team made the NCAA tournament an average of 4.3 times. If you remove UK and UF, that number drops to 3.9. 9 of 10 teams made tourney.

In the 90’s, each team made the NCAA tournament an average of 3.8 times. If you remove UK and UF, that number drops to 3.4. 12 of 12 teams made tourney.

In the 00s , each team made the NCAA tournament an average of 4.5 times. If you remove UK and UF, that number drops to 3.6. 12 of 12 teams made tourney.

In the 10s, each team made the NCAA tournament an average of 3.6 times. If you remove UK and UF, that number drops to 2.5. 14 of 14 teams made tourney.

If you look at 2nd weekend runs into the tourney other than UF and UK, it comes out to the high in the 80’s of 1.6 times per team, to the low of the 10’s of 0.7 times per team.

So if the NCAA is the measuring stick, the argument could be made that this decade of the SEC is overall weaker than it has ever been.

Of the 13 seasons with 14+ losses, they have occurred during the following decades:
      80’s: 4 (’80,’81,’82,’85)
      90’s: 5 (’90,’91,’92,’96,’97,’98)
      00’s: 0
      10’s: 4 (’15,’16,’19,’20)

I think White gets one more year because it looks as though he will finally have a balanced roster next year with some leadership and guys who he has recruited and have come up in the program. Maybe in year 6, he will finally be able to get these guys to play tough since it has been a complaint since the Elite 8 team. I hope he wins the SEC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament and we finish 29-12 this year! I do not want another coaching change but I do think it’s fair to judge his tenure against Gator basketball history.

Interesting analysis. 14 losses avoided via season cancellation, but based on this season’s play, likely would have happened well before the Final Four. Another year like this next year could bring big changes.

Corey
        Participant

I apologize for the long-winded nature of this. A little bit too much time to think about sports and not enough watching. Where’s the Ocho when you need it.

I’ve been thinking about how many are currently disappointed with the results of coach White’s teams…especially during the regular season. It made me
        Ok back at Billy Donovan’s time here and look at some comparisons. He did take an extremely young, yet deep team to the championship game in 2000 and the back-to-back titles with a core group of soph./jr. And jr./sr. He also followed those with 5 NCAA first weekend exits and 2 NIT tournaments with another 1st weekend exit respectively before the next successful run. During all of those “down years”, which really weren’t by UF basketball history is concerned, people either said he couldn’t do it in the tourney or it was time for someone new.

Coach White has taken one team to the NIT, which one could argue falls in line with the two seasons following the back-to-back seasons, and has since taken his teams to three straight second weekends of the tourney. Maybe if this year’s group fully returns minus Blackshear out of eligibility and Bassett going into the portal, with a more watered down pre-season schedule closer to even the championship teams, the team can garner a few more regular season wins to satisfy some.

I like coach White, as he reminds me of Donovan. Pretty cool on the sideline, will get in the ears of the refs without the dramatics of a coach like Bruce Pearl or even Calipari for that matter. He seems to let the players take ownership of the games, albeit sometimes it seems like too much, but who am I to state that case? However the schedule gets developed for next year, I feel he has reloaded this roster with his philosophy….a mixture of srong defenders, strong shooters, and strong b-ball IQ players. The only thing that seemed to be missing the most this season was the consistency which one can only hope gets better with age and experience. I hope he can get another strong presence for inside, even though I really like Payne and have high hopes for Jitobah. I really hope none of the others leave, but that White does plan for the future, because a solid season next year with these guys will see a pretty large exodus of some players to the draft.

The great CBD lost some bad ones (Crate and Barrel, and a team called the Jaspers) but he also had two straight NC’s. CMW has yet to show such resiliency, but will need to, soon. Looks like a lot will be riding on Payne and Jitoboh next year. Is Gak eligible, and if he is, will he be healthy enough?

Graham Hall

Both Gak and Bassett will grad transfer elsewhere it seems.

Hopefully the coaching staff will be focusing on Payne and Jitoboh’s off season strength and conditioning, so they stay healthy and durable next season. Lack of front court depth has too frequently been a problem since losing J. Egbunu, which likely cost UF a Final Four berth in 2017.

A weird, dissatisfying end to a weird, dissatisfying season. Don’t know how intangibles can improve over summer, but free throw shooting sure could. Football season looks promising.

mtn2top
      Participant

Hopefully there’s a lot of individuals working on their bodies and fundamentals.

I’m very curious how the NCAA is going to rule on player eligibility. This is certain to be a couple of unusual years in sports.

Can’t go wrong with conditioning and fundamentals, like free throws. Almost to good to be true to have K. Blackshear eligible again.

Graham Hall

A few interesting things coming up on the basketball front. Signing Day is Wednesday, so there’s some news coming in the next 48 hours regarding some NBA draft decisions.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

With all due respect to Andrew, I don’t think he is ”ready for the NBA,” in my opinion. However, he could go sit on the bench and get paid in the pros. Or he could make a legitimate run at some ”bling” in college ball. Like Coach Spurrier said, ”(SEC) Championships are FOREVER!”

Payne and Jitoboh need some more work in college, but their upside is as big as Jitoboh! Scottie already said he’s coming back. And Scottie Lewis is the one that could sparkle like my birthstone next season, a diamond! I could see the worry about the front court, lack of bigs again, but Bassett probably left for a reason that includes ”the bench.”

Lastly, I haven’t a clue what college football season will look like with the ”Chinese Corona Virus” (call it what it is!). But if Dooley’s article is right and they ”start college football in February,” we’d jokingly be wishing for ”a quarantine” along with Valentine’s Day (to watch all the amazing college sports on TV at the same time). Assuming football and basketball are, in fact, playing at the same time.
      SEC Network overload, for sure! Go Gators!

Communist Chinese virus for sure. Attendees at mass gatherings in the near future may need to sign pledges they have not been to Communist China or had a fever in the last 30/60/90 days, as well as assume all associated risks of attending via signed waiver.

All these young men being pumped full of smoke and sunshine about how ready they are for “the next level”, should be reminded, and at least briefly consider what happened to Donnell Harvey.

gatorgi70x7
      Participant

Donnell who? Just kidding. I remember him ”briefly,” like his career at U.F
      And when ”Communist China” allowed INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS out of ‘”Wuhan,” but not domestic fights to other Communist Chinese cities, well, that says everything for me. Conf. Tourneys and ”March Madness” were the Communist Party of China’s 1st American sports (therefore economic, too) casualties. By this July, it may very well be the entire ”FOOTBALL SEASON” also. So screwed up and on so many levels, in addition to all the ”pain, suffering, and death” this ”Communist pandemic” has caused America and the world.

Viewing 64 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.