The first half of the Will Muschamp Football Camp is in the books and the Gators helped themselves tremendously with the 2013 and 2014 prospects they hosted.
Here is some news and notes that came out of Mini Camp 1 and Session 1:
* The 2013 commitments that came to campus were running back Adam Lane, receiver Ahmad Fulwood, offensive lineman Rod Johnson and defensive tackle Caleb Brantley, who says he is now solid and will be back in Gainesville from Thursday to Sunday. The commitments planning to visit this weekend are running back Kelvin Taylor, receivers Rodney Adams and Fulwood, linebacker James Hearns and safeties Keanu Neal and Nick Washington.
* ESPN300 quarterback Max Staver (Brentwood, Tenn./Academy) threw in Saturday’s mini camp and surpassed the other targets at the position to become the top priority. Afterward he said Florida and Mississippi State were his top two schools, but the Gators took the lead Monday after the Bulldogs landed a quarterback. Staver is expected to be offered by UF sometime this week.
* ESPN150 defensive tackle Greg Gilmore (Hope Mills,N.C./South View) came down to Florida for the weekend with his mother. LSU has always led for the four-star prospect and still did following the trip, but Gilmore said his mom favors UF because of the travel convenience. She is able to take a direct flight from nearby Charlotte, N.C., to Gainesville. “My mom likes Florida,” Gilmore told ESPN. “She wants me to go there. I’m not going to lie.”
* ESPN150 defensive end Ebenezer Ogundeko (Brooklyn, N.Y./Thomas Jefferson) visited Florida on Saturday and called the Gators his top school after the trip. He plans to commit in July between UF, Notre Dame and Syracuse.
* Three-star linebacker Shaun McGee (Snellville, Ga./Brookwood) spent the weekend in Gainesville and named Florida his leader after he earned an offer from Muschamp. He now has a total of 10 offers, including Alabama, Michigan State and North Carolina.
* Georgia cornerback commit Shaq Wiggins (Tyrone, Ga./Sandy Creek) participated in Florida’s mini camp. The ESPN150 member said Wednesday that he has re-opened his recruitment and will check out other schools. The Gators are currently second to UGA.
* Offensive coordinator Brent Pease offered 2014 quarterback Will Grier (Davidson, N.C./Davidson Day) following his work out Wednesday. It was his first SEC offer.
* The Gators received a visit from massive 2014 offensive lineman Orlando Brown Jr. (Duluth, Ga./Peachtree Ridge) on Saturday. Florida is among his early favorites, but Georgia is his leader at this time.
* 2014 offensive lineman Mason Cole (Tarpon Springs, Fla./East Lake) worked out for the first day of Session 1. Florida is one of nine offers for him.
* Rielly Gibbons, a top in-state offensive lineman for the 2014 class, took part Monday’s camp. He said the coaches were impressed with what he showed and an offer could come soon. The St. Petersburg Catholic prospect has 13 offers thus far, including Tennessee, Rutgers and West Virginia.
* 2014 safety Quincy Wilson (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School of Nova) camped at UF on Tuesday and will return for Friday Night Lights on July 27. His top two schools are Florida and Auburn and he also has offers from Clemson, LSU, Maryland, Purdue and West Virginia.
* Florida offered 2015 defensive tackle Cece Jefferson (Glen St. Mary, Fla./Baker County) after Saturday’s mini camp.