Only got one question this week, but I think it’s good enough to warrant a public answer. “Theo” wants to know about some of the 2011 prospects Florida is interested in. Sure, it’s still early in the 2010 recruiting season, but in this day and age, schools are getting a start on recruiting much earlier. Florida had four commitments in its 2010 class before the second week of October last year. Nothing has happened yet this year, but there’s still plenty of time for some juniors to make a decision.
A few who have come out openly to say that the Gators are near the top include Lake City, Columbia defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan; Groveland, South Lake cornerback Nick Waisome; Matthews, N.C., David W. Bultler quarterback Christian LeMay; and Miami Northwestern quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.
Jernigan said a few weeks ago that Florida is the overwhelming favorite for his services, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the first commitment for the Gators.
Waisome was one of the top corner prospects I saw over the summer, regardless of age. He had some glowing things to say about the Gators and has been on campus plenty of times. South Lake has also become a bit of a pipeline for UF with Jeff Demps and Jonathan Harrison joining the Gators in recent years.
Bridgewater is one of the more athletic quarterbacks in the country and said at Friday Night Lights that he’s very interested in what Florida’s offense has to offer. If Florida is looking for a quarterback to run the spread like it’s supposed to be run, Bridgewater could be that guy.
Finally, LeMay has the biggest connection with Florida because his father was the team’s chaplain before he and his family moved to North Carolina. He’s got a great relationship with Urban Meyer and has been around the program for some time. He’s a pro-style quarterback and what John Brantley does next year could weigh heavily on LeMay’s thoughts about Florida’s offense.
There certainly are a few more kids with the Gators on their minds, and here is a list of players to keep an eye on this fall and next year …
- Everett Golson, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Justin Worley, Rock Hill, S.C., Northwestern
- C.J. Uzomah, Suwanne, Ga., North Gwinnett
- Mike Bellamy, Ponta Gorda, Charlotte
- Isaiah Crowell, Columbus, Ga., Carver
- Savon Huggins, Jersey City, N.J, St. Peters Preparatory School
- Quan Bray, Hogansville, Ga., Callaway
- Kelvin Benjamin, Belle Glade, Glades Central
- George Farmer, Gardena, Cali, Junipero Serra
- Kasen Williams, Sammamish, Wash., Skyline
- Charone Peake, Roebuck, S.C., Dorman
- Nick O’Leary, West Palm Beach, Elam
- Jay Rome, Valdosta, Ga.
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Gig Harbor Wash.,
- Tommy Jordan, Ridgefield, Conn.
- La’El Collins, Baton Rouge, La., Redemptoris Sr
- Brandon Shell, Charleston, S.C., Goose Creek
- Christian Westerman, Chandler, Ariz., Hamilton
- Tyler Moore, Clearwater, Countryside
- Ray Drew, Thomasville, Ga., Thomas County Central
- Steve Miller, Canton, Ohio, McKinley
- Mustafa Jalil, San Diego, Cathedral Catholic
- Anthony Johnson, New Orleans, O. Perry Walker School
- Antwaun Woods, Woodland Hills, Cali., William Howard Taft
- LaMichael Fanning, Auburn, Ala.
- Nathan Hughes, Spring, Texas, Klein Oak
- James Wilder, Tampa, Plant Senior
- Greg Townsend, Beverly Hills, Cali.
- James Vaughters Tucker, Ga.
- Denzel Perryman, Coral Gables
- Brent Calloway, Russellville, Ala.
- Quentin Gause, Rochester, N.Y., Bishop Kearney
- Lawrence Thomas, Detroit, Renaissance
- Tyler Hunter, Valdosta, Ga., Lowndes
- Justin Coleman, Brunswick, Ga.
- Jabriel Washington, Jackson, Tenn., Trinity Christian Academy Safety
- Karlos Williams, Davenport, Ridge Community
- Wayne Lyons, Fort Lauderdale, Dillard
- Lamarcus Brutus, Port Saint Lucie, Treasure Coast