So here was the idea. In 2006, we ranked the top 100 Florida football players on the 100th anniversary of Florida football. A lot of players have been stars since then, so let’s re-rank them. But that would mean kicking some of those players to the curb. So instead, we give you this as you try to take your minds off things — the Top 10 Gators at each position over the last 114 years of football. This is the 12th of a 13-part series.
Today — The kickers/punters.
Up next — The return men.
- Eddy Pineiro (2016-17) — It was difficult to pick among the three best kickers in UF history, but Pineiro was a cult hero who had the strongest leg of them all and only five missed field goals in his career.
- Caleb Sturgis (2008-12) — Sturgis has three of the four longest field goals made at UF and more made field goals than any Gator.
- Jeff Chandler (1997-2001) — Chandler scored the most points of any kicker at Florida, made 16 straight and was good on 83.8 percent of his field goal attempts.
- Johnny Townsend (2013-17) — Townsend has the best career average at UF, the most punts and three of the four best averages for a season.
- Bobby Raymond (1983-84) — He may have been kicking with wider goal posts and off a block, but he also made 87.8 percent of his kicks and has the record with 17 straight made field goals.
- Ray Criswell (1982-85) — Criswell was a weapon as a punter averaging 44.4 yards a punt.
- Evan McPherson (2018-19) — He is on pace to have the best percentage (89.5) ever at Florida with only four misses in two years.
- Chas Henry (2007-10) — Henry pulled double-duty as a senior, finishing his career with the fourth highest punting average and gets on this list just for kicking the winning field goal against Georgia.
- Judd Davis (1992-94) — Florida’s only winner of the Lou Groza Award and an All-American, Davis is fourth all-time in field goal percentage.
- Kyle Christy (2011-14) — Christy finished his career with the third best average in Gator history.