So here was the idea. In 2006, we ranked the top 100 Florida football players on the 100th anniversary of Florida football. A lot of players have been stars since then, so let’s re-rank them. But that would mean kicking some of those players to the curb. So instead, we give you this as you try to take your minds off things — the Top 10 Gators at each position over the last 114 years of football. This is the seventh of a 13-part series.
Today — The defensive ends.
Up next — The defensive tackles.
- Alex Brown (1998-2001) — OK, maybe this makes up for having him too low on our Top 100 back in 2006. The bottom line is that there has never been a better pass rusher at UF. He is the all-time sack leader with 33.
- Kevin Carter (1991-94) — Carter finished his career with 21.8 sacks, but he was even better at stopping the run. He was a big part of Florida’s early ’90s run.
- Jack Youngblood (1968-70) — Younglood also played some at defensive tackle (and actually kicked a field goal for the Gators). He is one of only six members of the Ring of Honor and is a member of the NFL Hall of Fame.
- Derrick Harvey (2005-07) — Finished his career with 21.5 sacks and Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith is still seeing him in his sleep. Had 11.5 sacks as a sophomore, as Florida won the national title.
- Carlos Dunlap (2007-09) — Dunlap not only was a disruptive pass rusher, he also has a knack for blocking kicks and batting down passes. He had 18.5 sacks in his final two seasons.
- Huey Richardson (1987-90) — Richardson also played some outside linebacker, but wherever he was coming from he was trouble for the opposition with 26.5 total sacks in his career.
- Jarvis Moss (2004-06) — Moss had 15 sacks in his last two seasons and forced five fumbles. He also had the famous blocked field goal against South Carolina that propelled UF to the national title game.
- Jachai Polite (2016-18) — Polite had a motor that never quit and finally had a big year as a junior recording 11 sacks and forcing an amazing six fumbles.
- Dante Fowler Jr. (2012-14) — Finished his career with 140 total tackles, 33 of them for a loss of yardage and 14.5 sacks.
- Jonathan Greenard (2019) — He played only one season after transferring from Louisville and overcame injuries to be a dominant player for the Gators with 10 sacks.