FACTS THAT MATTER
OK, maybe this is more opinion than fact. With the 1993 team being honored (the 25-year anniversary of a team that beat Alabama in the SEC title game) at Saturday night’s game, Sun sports columnist Pat Dooley with some help from Head Football Consultant Steve Spurrier wondered where the ’93 team would come in among the all-time Gator great teams. So here’s a top 10:
- The 1996 team: They were the first to win it all and the one loss was by three points to No. 2 FSU on the road, a loss it would rectify with a vengeance.
- The 2008 team: No team had better players or more pros. The tiebreaker is that it lost at home to unranked Ole Miss.
- The 2006 team: Won the national title in dominating fashion after not dominating many teams to get there. But it got there.
- The 1995 team: OK, the Fiesta Bowl was a disaster. But it was the first to finish the regular season unbeaten and won the SEC and first to play for the title.
- The 1993 team: First to win 11 games and first to win a Sugar Bowl. SEC Championship Game win might have been the best ever.
- The 2009 team: Undefeated during the regular season before it ran into Alabama. Won the Sugar Bowl.
- The 1984 team: They won the SEC for the first time. Don’t tell them they did not.
- The 1994 team: Won the SEC and finished No. 7 in the nation.
- The 1991 team: The HBC would include the 1990 team as well. But this one was the first to win an official SEC crown.
- The 2001 team: You could argue that 2000 belongs here because it won the SEC. But that ’01 team was special, losing two games by a total of five points and finishing No. 3 in the nation.