The biggest question about this game, in my mind, is will the Gators cover that massive 41-point spread against UT Martin?
They will. And here’s how:
- Take care of the football. The four turnovers against Miami changed the tenor of that game.
- Play smart. Those dumb penalties put that win over UM in serious jeopardy in the second half. Pass interference on fourth-and-34 on a pass well short of the line to make? Are you kidding? Not smart. Late hit on the sideline? Not smart.
- Wrap ’em up. The tackling by the UF defense in the opener was atrocious at times. The total added up to about 20, which is unacceptable.
- Run the football. A lot of that pressure on Feleipe Franks in the opener was due to the fact the Gators had no ground game. They averaged less than two yards a carry. This is an offense that relies on its balance to be effective. There was no balance against Miami. The big guys up front should be able to get it done against this team. If they don’t, it’s going to be a long season for the offense.
- Relax and have fun. Other than the defensive front, everyone else seemed almost uptight at times against the Hurricanes. Hey, you’re at home now and favored by more than six touchdowns, so cut it loose.
Prediction: Florida 51, UT Martin 9.