Being ranked No. 8 in both major college football preseason polls, Florida is in the discussion as being in the national championship hunt. UF coach Dan Mullen understands it.
“We embrace it. We’re all in,” Mullen said during his weekly news conference Monday.
The country will get a quick look to see if the Gators are worthy of such talk with Saturday’s game against Miami to open the season.
‘Everyone is watching,” Mullen said. “ All the other teams are watching, what are they going to see? Every college football person in the country is watching. What do you want them to think about?”
In other notes:
* “Injury-wise we expect everyone to play (other than those with season-ending injuries),” Mullen said. Everyone set to practice today.
- “I know (Miami coach) Manny (Diaz) really well. Great coach, great motivator, very intelligent,” Mullen said.
- Mullen said if there are any player suspensions they will be announced before kick off Saturday.
- Mullen on whether QB Feleipe Franks is an “alpha dog” leader on the Gators: “We’ll see. I have a pretty high standard. We’ll see how it goes.”
- Mullen said Franks has improved more this offseason than he did during last season. “Huge strides” he said.
Click back for more from today’s news conference.