Will the Gators Score a Top 5 Recruiting Class in 2020?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

StLGator
    Participant

With 3* Gainesville High QB Anthony Richardson’s recommitment today, the Gators’ 2020 recruiting class is back in the Top 5 according to 247Sports. Should they hold or improve their position by signing day in February, CDM will have the Gators back in the Top 5 in recruiting for the first time since 2013.

What makes this recruiting class potentially better than the last Top 5 class the Gators had is that, with 8 commitments so far it is balanced, with 4 offensive and 4 defensive players. Muschamp’s recruiting classes were notoriously unbalanced, with more defensive than offensive recruits, too many DBs and not nearly enough offensive linemen.

Landing Top 5 recruiting classes annually is another major step on the Gators’ road to regular appearances in the SEC Championship Game and College Football Playoffs. 2020’s may be the first of many.

Opinions???

SoCal Gator
    Participant

I believe that if we continue to improve on the field this upcoming season, then our 2020 class will absolutely finish in the top 5. As I believe Pat wrote in a semi recent article, these recruiting classes will be judged on who sticks around. With CDM and Co’s Track record for recognizing, evaluating, and developing (the latter the most important) talent, I believe that the 2018, 2019, 2020, and beyond, all have the potential to be top 5 classes. If we can put a thorough beat down on Miami and FSU, and close the already narrowing gap between us and Bama/UGA, than the recruiting will become that much easier. I’m tired of these out of state and lesser in state schools poaching our hotbed of talent. Soon enough, we’re going to have our choice of the Florida boys we want (and some out of State), and let the bottom feeders fight for the rest. Come on August 24th, and Go Gators!

StLGator
      Participant

You have a good point there SoCal. Success in recruiting, as in the Spurrier days, primarily revolves around winning the battles for elite recruits in the State of Florida. Back then, FSU and UM got their share, but there was substantially less out-of-state poaching than we have today. So, putting “a thorough beat down on Miami and FSU” this season is absolutely critical to delivering the message to instate recruits that the Gator program is in ascendency and the place to go to compete for NCs in the future.

Gator-6
    Participant

Very pertinent issue, StL — good topic. I would say that it hinges on the type of season we have in 2019, of course, but beyond that it is my opinion — and mine alone, I’m sure — that repeating the 2018 season will not do it. Make no mistake, another 10-3 season would certainly be welcomed under other circumstances, and contextualized in terms of the 7 years before the advent of Mullen would certainly be considered great to arrive at that mark in two consecutive years. But, we can’t do that anymore — we have Dan Mullen, all that crap is behind us, and he’s surely taking the program somewhere. Where? Do I even have to say it? I will say, just as in “one game at a time”, it’s also “one season at a time” in this paradigm, one better than the other until we get there. Stated differently, steady progression, steady ascendancy is what I believe will draw the type of recruits we will need to get over the hump and actually compete for and win SEC titles and a National Championship in 2020, 2021, or soon thereafter. Therefore, I say that if we go, at a minimum, 11-2 in 2019 — yes, we will have a Top 5 recruiting class for 2020. We’ll surely be in the Top 10 anyway………but that’s what I think it’s going to take to get to the Top 5.

StLGator
      Participant

No doubt a key ingredient in landing a Top 5 recruiting class in 2020 will be perceived progress on the field in 2019. Interestingly, due to the increased difficulty of the 2019 schedule, a 10-3 record with a NY-6 bowl win would actually be an improvement in performance over 2018 for the Gators.

That said, 11-2 or better will leave no doubt. It is doable, but there’s no room for Mizzou type meltdowns like we had last season.

Gatorelf
    Participant

I would not look for a top 5 class until the SEC East is won

Gator-6
      Participant

Elf, I take your point but I do think that a minimum of 10-3 this year, with a solid bowl win and a Top-10 final ranking will produce one for 2020 even if we don’t win the East. Better that we do tho!

Gatorelf
    Participant

I would love to see it too but a lot of the top players want to go where they have a shot at a NC game ( playoffs) and that wont happen until Georgia is spanked.

Gator-6
      Participant

Or, alternatively, Georgia absent being spanked by the Gators, could peter out simply by keeping on failing to get there. Either way though it would be wonderful indeed to spank those dawgs so bad their mamma’s will be sorry they ever gave birth to them! Spank them so hard that they change zip codes! Spank them so much they change genders twice before the game is even over! Beat them so bad that…….damn, Elf, see what you started here?

NashvilleGator
    Participant

I want to veer slightly off the subject here. I’m fascinated at how the Georgia media are so interested in the Gators. I think there is a palpable anxiety in Georgia that the Dawgs have a tiny window to get to the NC game before we get back to the top.

I believe if the offensive line gels quickly, we win at least 11 games. And recruiting will be fine. Whatever class rank the Gators have, you need to bump it upward one or two spots to reflect this staff’s player evaluation and development abilities.

StLGator
      Participant

You have a point Nashville. The OL readiness issue cannot be minimized. They can only overcome their lack of experience as a unit by playing as a unit. The schedule affords them just 5 injury free games to get SEC ready before they have to face Auburn and LSU back-to-back.

The Gators must be 5-0 going into game 6 and must split those 2 games, at worst, to have a realistic shot at an 11 win season and winning the East by spanking those hated Dawgs. The GA media will have reason to worry about the Gators if they arrive at the Cocktail Party sporting only one loss. Smart may be a better recruiter, but CDM is a better coach.

Regardless of whether the Gators beat the Dawgs, CDM will land his first top 5 recruiting class by February. They’re well positioned now at #8 and will be able to add another 10 recruits to the class thanks to the attrition that has taken place in the 2019 recruiting class this spring and summer.

NashvilleGator
    Participant

Agreed. And incidentally, a lot of Kirby Smart’s alleged recruiting prowess is structural. He was an assistant at Alabama and now he’s at the flagship program in the state of Georgia.

While every team in every fertile recruiting state competes with other Power 5 schools for top recruits, LSU and UGA have major structural advantages because they are the lone major football powers in their respective states (Georgia Tech doesn’t count). It matters a lot to the allegiance of young football players growing up.

The good news is that in the cyclical up and down that is college football, FSU is down and likely to remain that way for the next few years. They are currently heading into the second year of their own Zook-like era (decent to good recruiting but lousy coaching); and UCF will remain relegated to a second tier conference for a variety of economic and political reasons.

Our biggest challenge will be keeping the best State of Florida players in Gainesville.

Winning can help solve that challenge.

Gatorelf
    Participant

lol fired this thread up with a DAWG spanking

mtn2top
    Participant

I will not concede any game or season to Georgia. Certainly not this one.

As a program, we’re definitely on the right track and gaining momentum. The recruiting rankings are just one of many indicators. When a top recruit like Justin Fields later leaves your class, it is not reflected in a ranking.

It comes down to familiarity and confidence in the system and coaches, offense or defense. We have the personnel and talent to compete. Top recruits know there’s stability in the coaching situation at Florida and a higher probability they can be successful.

I expect another step forward for UF this season, if not for only having most of the coaching staff intact. That always helps recruiting.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.