Why Not Scott Frost?

This topic contains 49 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

nopriors
    Participant

The guy is turning a lot of heads and he is in our own backyard. He calls the offense and when they prepared for Navy’s option he suited up and played quarterback during practice. If not who’s your pick?

Gators93
    Participant

I’d be surprised if Scott Frost isn’t at his alma mater, Nebraska, next year.

redhatgator
    Participant

Well, he make the most sense logically… But we know how well our university deals with logic. My guess is they will make a run at Stoops, get turned down and as a result, Frost will see that slight and sign with Tenn, Aub, or another school that has an AD without his head up his arse. We need to look at who is “available” and not who we would like. Yes, it would be great to have Stoops. But, from all signs, he’s done with coaching (at least for a while). Frost is young, energetic, and know the recruiting in Florida. He may be able to save the current class as well. Hire him, groom him, and GIVE HIM A CHANCE FLORIDA FANS.

ufgator2002
    Participant

I personally do not want an option offensive type coach. Most of our recruits are pro style and most of the big time recruits look for pro style college systems. IMHO:-)

mkfgator
    Participant

Personally I would not seek Frost because it is the Foley thing to do. We are Florida, not Central Florida. We need to hire a coach who has to prove nothing . Someone who has already done it consistently, not a future up and coming prospect.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

1. Scott Frost – At first, I thought Strong was the far better match for UF. I don’t have cable so I have not seen any of UCFs games, but I watched some videos of his offenseve plays and formations. It looks like he took Urban Meyer/Dan Mullen triple option and kicked it up a couple notches. His offense is built on speed and agility. Both of which UF has plenty of. Like some of the other posters, I first though we would probably have no chance of luring Frost away from Lincoln. Then I read this article(http://www.omaha.com/huskers/the-story-of-scott-frost-s-love-hate-relationship-with/article_d23a0bb0-ba7f-11e7-85a1-07e004b8e998.html). In 2012, he said he now loves NU fans and would love to coach there. BUT, if you read about wehat heppened to him during his playing days well … those could be some permanent scars. He also said he and his family really love being in Orlando. Gainesville is just up the road. He may be an NU grad, but, from a recruiting persoective, Gainesvile vs Lincoln is not even close. Plus, the kids he would be trying to recruit were in diapers the last time NU was relevant.
    1. Charlie Strong – I know, I know … WHAT!?! Am I crazy?!? I’ve said it before, Texas was a bad fit for Strong. Just like Miami was a bad fit for Saban. Nobody – and I do mean NOBODY – can recruit the state of Florida like Charlie Strong. He won with Florida telent at Louisvile, and now he his is doing the same thing at USF. I honestly think we would be neck-and-neck with Bama in recruiting every year with Strong as our head coach. After the terrible 3-year run of recruiting(which just got exposed – AGAIN – this time by UGA) we’ve had under MaclTrainWreck, it’s absolutely VITAL that we get a HC who can recruit well. I think it is a given that he would be a significant upgrade over MediocreWain.
    3. Dan Mullen – We already know his offense has been successful at Florida in the past. I’d bet he’d love the opportunity to come to Florida, with the speedy talent we get here while at the same time, getting out of the SEC-West. The question mark for Mullen is how well would he be able to recruit. I would be very happy if they brought in Mullen and he kept Shannon on as DC. I know …Shannon’s scheme is not sexy, but it is effective. And he is also very good at recruiting in Florida.

For me, the vital thing is, UF needs an spread-type offense This obsession with establishing a pro-style offense in Gainesville is completely ridiculous. An up-tempo spread offense is a natural fit at UF.

And for those not wanting a spread offense. Correct me if I’m wrong, but we’re 0 for 3 with pro-style offenses. And we won 2 NCs with a spread system.

nopriors
      Participant

Scott Frost has shown he can turn an 0-11 program around. If you watch his team play it is amazing how his athletes are performing. I know their completion is not SEC caliber but the team clicks, is disciplined and I didn’t see any false starts on offense. If you read the article NotQyteNeo referenced the guy doesn’t back down. His second string quarterback played very well also.That’s coaching.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

And our best consecutive recruiting years were when we were running the spread.

mkfgator
    Participant

I would love Strong, and hate Mullen. We need to have a conversation with Mike Gundy. His offenses have consistently been great. I would also explore Franklin. Give him a blank check and see what happens. If you want to compete with Bama, then we need to follow their blueprint and shoot big.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

vulcan_alex
      Participant

There is no such thing as a blank check, their current employers will match or better anything we do. How about say Saban, give him 25M, by your ideas that would be a great idea.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

1996 was not a spread option offense. We don’t need a spread, we need a mobile QB where you can mix it up. Everyone looks to Alabama as “the program” and they don’t run a spread. The game won in the trenches. It all comes down to recruiting top linemen on both sides of the ball.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Spurrier’s offense was a hybrid. Neither pro-style or spread. So that is a moot point.IMO

UF has a long history of losing recruiting battles for the biggest, best, offensive lineman. The linemen we recruit are – in most cases – perfect for a spread system.

urn357
      Participant

No. He made a “hint” comment 3 years ago when we hired Mac that he would love to coach in the SEC, but never has got a call.

Samurai_Gator
    Participant

For the sake of our School, please please please Hire A GATOR!!! He has to know, love and and eat Orange and Blue! Kerwin Bell is a proven winner at Jacksonville and HE IS A GATOR! a good start for a Head Coach that is Orange and Blue!

gator67
      Participant

As I recall, Alabama used to follow this logic and experienced a long period of mediocre seasons (with the exception of Stallings). They abandoned that philosophy, hired Saban, and now everyone is chasing Bama.

Bell is having some success, but at a very different level than UF. It isn’t even the level of Colorado State. This would be a very risky hire, no matter what color his blood.

david smith
    Participant

Saban dominated the SEC because besides maybe, Smart, none of the other coaches are elite. They are good to very good but none of them have national titles. Meyer beat BAMA at OSU and UF for a National Title without running a Saban style offense. Clemson beat BAMA last year almost beat them the year before and OSU beat BAMA the year before that. Probably the coach closest to being Saban is Harbaugh. Saban is unique though. He isn’t an act that is easily copied. He runs a football factory who recruits better than anybody. He gets rid of dead weight immediately. He pawns dead weight off to the same programs. So he essentially runs a reverse farm system. I think he’s the only coach that signs 25 players pretty much every year. He’s only had 2 classes smaller than 25 since 2008. One was 23 the other 24. He’s also had classes of 29, 32…On average he signs more than 25 players a year. No other program does that. Room for error is so much greater. UF has signed more players than BAMA only twice in the last 10 years. 8 years BAMA signed more players.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

That’s all about how many scholarships are available. All schools have the same total number they can use. IMO It’s quality, not not quantity that is fueling Saban’s recruiting juggernaut. He recruits almost all 5-stars with a few four stars. He has more available each year because Bama loses many each year to early draft entry.

On the flipside, MediocreWain gets the scraps left from FSU, Bama, Miami, and out of state schools. Strong would be able to keep most of those 4 and 5 star players home. Our recruiting would be likely as good as Saban’s if they brought in Strong. “Saban to Bama” was the right guy in the right place at the right time. Strong would be the same for UF.

CCSDK
    Participant

When you watch UCF play (see their clips) and then you listen to Scott Frost during his pressers, he has a very aggressive style (his experience at Oregon), you can see the future of this guy. He has IT. I invite you to watch UCF and listen to this guy. It would tough to let him slip by.

mtn2top
    Participant

Frost has to be one of the top Gator candidates for many reasons. Money is one of the most significant factors.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

mkfgator
    Participant

I’m warming up to Frost. Some of you know better about him than I ever did. I’ve read some stuff on him and I like what I am reading. I’m a little concerned about a raise he would get there and the fact he raises money to keep his assistants from leaving for money. We’ll see.

nopriors
    Participant

ouch

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Today in college (and somewhat the NFL) the QB must be mobile and able to run at times. We have not used this effectively, part of the reason we are getting a new HBC.

nopriors
      Participant

He must also be durable. Like Deshawn Watson was

Lord Fauntleroy
    Participant

A non alumni coach who sings the praises of the option offense.

Just brilliant thinking.

Next…………..

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

He’s now dominating and leading the nation in scoring with the same team that went 0-12 just 2 years ago. Oh yeah – you’re SOOOOOO right. He’s terrible

And, likewise, UF didn’t win 2 NCs with an option offense.

SMH

Lord Fauntleroy
        Participant

Oh, yeah, and years ago college teams won NC’s with 3 yards and a cloud of dust running attack offense. This is 2017 and the option offense belongs in the same museum as the T Bone Option offense.

Frost needs to be with his kinfolk at Nebraska.

NotQyteNeo
          Participant

OMG – are you 10 years old!?! UF won with the option in ’06 and ’08. Auburn won it in ’11 and OSU won it in ’14. We’re talking spread options which are very successful even in 2017. Like … you know …. UCF … who is leading the nation in offense.

Dude – GET A CLUE!!!

urn357
        Participant

Don’t forget the playmakers we had on those 2 spread offense national title years as well. Without them, I don’t think it would of ever happened. We are missing them more these days than any type of offense.

CROCS
    Participant

Let’s be real here. What do we want? Excitement, scoring, dominant defense, fun. What have we had? Boring, frustration, lack of discipline, and in many cases- stupidity…and that is when we were winning. It is just hard to watch our team since Meyer left. I watch the TV every Saturday and see other teams doing things we used to do; like complete 20 yard passes, NOT run the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs, and even make tackles (have we forgot how to tackle?). Our team will reflect the coach, his demeanor, and his attitude. Period. All teams assume the persona of the coach. Think about Mac and this team – deceitful, smokescreen answers, non-workaholic, hayseed laid-back approach. Scott Frost, who suited up and PLAYED against his own defense, will blossom at UF when he has Florida athletes assuming his persona. Could be Spurrier on steroids. Go for Frost! Make UF great again (MUGA) hee hee

nopriors
    Participant

UCF’s athletic director is Mike White’s brother.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Didn’t know that – TY for pointing that out.

mtn2top
    Participant

Frost’s success is based on his head coaching abilities, not necessarily the UCF offense, which matches their personnel.

Job and fan expectation may not tolerate an option offense for many reason. First of all, this is Florida. To be successful, the next coach needs to be successful at tossing it around the yard.

The players we have on roster and recruiting are a big consideration for the next Gator offense – no matter who coaches. After the last couple years of recruiting and developing pro-style offensive players, I seriously doubt we will revert to an option offense in the off-season.

New coaches are most likely to tweak the existing offense. It’s easier for a couple of coaches to learn a new offense than forty or so players.

So why not Scott Frost? I don’t think the offense run by UCF is a factor.

I would put Frost on a top 3 list. He matches the profile of past Florida hires as an up and comer. That’s a better bargain than the kind of money it will take to get an offensive “genius” like Chip Kelly.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I like Scott Frost. I think he shows a lot of promise. Since it appears we’ve failed to land Chip Kelly, I hope Stricklin and the UAA bring a more “can’t refuse” kind of offer to the next guy. I’m hearing Frost wants to stay at UCF and get them into the B12, so who does that make our next legitimate target?

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Mullen will probably be the third choice. UF would be significantly improved with Mullen, but we’d still be chasing Bama. Kelly gets us to Bama’s level. I think Frost would as well.

There’s no reason Florida should not be able to recruit and perform as well if not better than Bama. We are the flagship program in the middle of the high school talent capital of the country.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I was watching the Gators Breakdown podcast last night and I found it surprising the nole guy they had on with them said the hire FSU fans would fear the most would be Taggart. Looking at his over-all record, I’m just not seeing what anybody would “fear” about him.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Actually Taggert would be a good hire. All of these 5 guys are a significant improvement over MediocreWain. But the Bama line stops at Frost … probably.
    1. Chip Kelly
    2. Scott Frost
    3. Dan Mullen
    4. Charlie Strong(best recruiter of all of them)
    5. Willie Taggart(also very good at recruiting in Florida)

Al Bundy
    Participant

Your list scares the heck out of me because that’s what I’m afraid of most. We miss on Kelly, Frost wants to stay at UCF or would prefer Nebraska, and we end up with Mullen. Yuck.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I say if we cant’ get Chip O’ Hoy, then I could accept a Scott Frost. But know this: Coach Strong has Gator blood, he’s a great recruiter, and solid DISCIPLINARIAN, and oh the players love him! And then bring in the ”Throwing Mayoan”, Coach Kerwin Bell for O.C.. Some Gator fans aren’t old enough (I don’t hold that against you) to remember the HEART that KERWIN BELL played with for U.F. in the 80’s. He was the 1st Gator Q.B. to beat the big bad Hurricanes of the 80’s in Miami. He beat a Top 5 Auburn at ”Florida Field” on pure old school grit, with his bad knee and all (he limped into the North end zone for the win). So, if Frost isn’t the one, Chip O’ Hoy isn’t, that I am sure of. He’s using Florida so U.C.L.A. will pay him more! You’re welcome Chippy! Go get Frost, if not him, Strong and Kerwin: the DREAM TEAM GATOR-STYLE COACHING FOR THE NEW ERA IN U.F. FOOTBALL!
    You doubters will thank us all later!

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

I have tremendous love, respect, and appreciation for Kerwin Bell, but he at least needs to be coaching in FCS to be considered for an SEC coaching .position.

Black Dahlia
    Participant

Why not? Because he doesn’t want to come here. He probably knows a turd when he smells one.

Threadkiller
      Participant

So kerwin should be OC because he was a great player? Too bad he sucks as a coach.

gatorgi70x7
        Participant

Sucks as a coach, huh? That’s all you got? You’re a Theadkiller, in mores than one way, to be sure! You’re probably a ”BUZZ KILLER”, a joy killer… you get the picture, Threads! You have no proof that he ”sucks”, other than your elaborate post, ”he sucks”? Get a damn clue! Shane Matthews, Steve Russell, people I RESPECT MUCH MORE THAN YOU, and GATORS FOR YEARS, like me, say otherwise!
        Threadkiller, go jump on the U.G.A. JOY THREADS, and KILL THEIR JOY!

gator67
    Participant

Frost reportedly has very strong ties to Nebraska, his alma mater. It’s not hard to understand why he would choose them over any other option. If rumors are correct (a very big IF, no one really knows), he is one of the top two candidates; but kidnapping is illegal, so UF may not be able to make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I like Kerwin Bell. I think he could be a good coach, but he’s got to pay his dues and work his way up to a D1 position. He stayed at that little rinky dink school with no scholarships for too long. I know he had offers to move up as an OC and refused. It’s his own fault for not taking a shot when the chance was given to him. He didn’t want to take a step down as HC at a non-scholarship school to be a coordinator at a D1 school, so now he’s stuck due to his own stubbornness.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s a strong pull when your alma mater comes calling. I would think Nebraska has the inside track for getting Frost and will pull out all the stops to make it happen.

The fact that the season ended and we’re still without a head coach really ratchets up the pressure on Stricklin. He couldn’t wait to dump McElwain in mid-season and now is back in the pack for most of the leading candidates with many other schools now in the hunt. Whatever advantage we had in establishing an early opening seems now to be lost.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

The Nebraska job is most likely going to open up this year. Most of the sports-media/reporters believe it’s very likely Nebraska will fire Riley this year. But read the article SoCalGator83 posted. It’s definitely not a given that Frost would take that job. Many think he might want something like Florida, which has a very large recruiting base of fast, talented athletes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.