We need some GOOD news

This topic contains 41 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  nopriors 10 hours, 36 minutes ago.

• Author

redhatgator
    Participant

Another day, more bad news… Not that I thought Matt Corral was a great fit for Dan Mullins offense, but he was a highly rated prospect. Now, we are quickly losing (at least publicly) all relevancy with this recruiting class. What’s even harder to digest is that with all of the coaching moves, and us hiring a great coach first, we struggling to put together ANYTHING good. And this included FSU losing it’s coach and a number of there recruits back on the market. There hasn’t been one good piece of news to break about recruiting yet (I don’t count a kicker as good news… he’s a kicker.) And while were on the subject of news…. Great job Graham. You’re really winning. You post last night, and then Matt Corral de-commits lol. Also, did the entire Gatorsports staff take the last two weeks off? There isn’t squat for new content. You all are really the tip of the spear….

paindocgja
    Participant

Agree with redhatgator completely. I believe that coach Mullins’ success starts with recruiting, and I have been cautiously watching to see his effectiveness with this class.
    So far, nothing but failure and disappointment. Kirby Smart turned Georgia around in 2 years with superb recruiting. Can Mullin do the same? Not an auspicious start.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I thought Mullen would recruit equally or near to it with Fisher at the school out west. But as soon as they hired Taggart I knew we were in trouble. The thin silver lining is that Mullen – much like Spurrier – is good at doing more with less. Still my original enthusiasm is almost completely gone. If Mullen could pull in a couple high-caliber JUCOs, I’d feel a lot better.

Al Bundy
    Participant

Some good news would certainly be welcome.

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Redhat:
    Thanks for reading. We’ve been posting new content all the time. I should know because I’m the one doing the posting.
    Pat Dooley is doing well while rehabbing from knee surgery.

mtn2top
    Participant

Glad to hear Pat is on the mend.

Recruiting is all about trust and relationships. Two weeks is not enough time to build or even repair broken ones.

It all goes back to the mid-season firing. This is what you have to expect when you turn the program upside down after only two and a half years. Mullen is a good coach but no one is going to walk in with a week or two and fix everything.

mtn2top
    Participant

There’s no quick fixes for a regime change in Gainesville. I can’t think of another head coach who could do better than Mullen in picking up the pieces. Two months would not have been enough time, much less a couple of weeks.

redhatgator
    Participant

I agree that relationship building takes time, but for once, we caught a break w3ith in-state rival FSU losing a legendary coach. That, plus the other departures should have allowed us to take advantage of a momentum swing and grab some early recruits that were “possible’s” at those schools. Instead, we have lost out. Now, to be real, I don’t think we need a QB like Corral. I think we have the talent currently here for Coach to win. They just need to learn the system and execute. Many don’t agree, but the problem is not talent, it’s development. Franks, Trask, Allen…. Those guys are all capable. The pain comes from not having a “headline” prospect to attract other talent. oh, and losing a recruit to a school that wont even be eligible to play in the postseason next year. That, gentlemen, is a firm kick in the nuts. Maybe the kid just needs his little Cali balls fondled along with his ego, which FLA’s new coach wouldn’t do. Who knows. My point is that we need a victory soon on the recruiting trail or we wont even have a top 25 class at the end.

Oh, and thank you for the update on Pat… Hope he gets better soon. My point was that the content related to the recruitment and football has been very lacking. Take a look at SECCOUNTRY for an example of what they are putting out on the Gators next to the content being released by Gatorsports.

Arnold Feliciano
      Keymaster

Redhat: SEC Country does terrific work and has a strong staff. Zach, a five-star recruit when he left, cut his teeth with us here. They are driven by recruiting coverage, while we have to spread ourselves out more into other UF sports. And we have to pay attention to the varied wants of our print readers with the Gainesville Sun. The majority of those readers don’t care much about recruiting, or so we are told. They help pay most of the freight that keeps this site up and running free.
      Thanks for reading.

mtn2top
      Participant

There was no one at the helm to take advantage of that break.

paindocgja
    Participant

The argument over whether Corral was a good fit for UF and Mullen miss the point. He was a solid 5 star commitment, who said that no one contacted him after the regime change for quite a while. If true, that is concerning.

gator67
    Participant

It is much too early to become panicky about recruiting. There is time for Mullen to make up some ground even this year. The real test, of course, will be the next year or two.

It is very disappointing that Corral flipped, but Ole Miss’s offense will probably fit his skill set more than Mullen’s. It is a rational move, and it may end up being better for the Gators, too. Hopefully, Mullen and his staff can bring in a qb who is a better dual-threat and will help bring the Gators back to the top in the SEC. Fans cannot control what is happening, so I am content to wait and see how things develop.

mtn2top
    Participant

As I mentioned before, I believe Mullen is the best person to have in this situation. He’s got to get the players that will work in his system. So who comes and goes is only important in that light.

It won’t be pretty and rankings may not mean much when it’s all said and done. In the vacuum there is opportunity that key recruits will recognize.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

I think that aside from Pat and Robbie being more active with ”present student-athlete” stories, and I am thankful for that! (Mr. Feliciano, doing a great job, i.m.o.)
    Dan Mullen needs a running type Q.B. that can throw, and Matt Coral wasn’t ever going to fit that role… period (or last long in the SEC, running up the gut on L.S.U., and U.G.A., etc…). So, I for one am going to give Dan a year before I start judging on the ”recruiting side”.
    Now next Fall, if U.F cannot string together some 1st downs, and the POST URBAN JINX for U.F. Offense is still in full-effect, well, I may not be so patient. But here’s hoping we get better on offense with the Gators that are here, and the ones that U.F. will get in the orange and blue… soon! GO GATORS! And get well Pat! Hit that rehab! It’s the only way, do to it ’till you cry! I’ve been there before, so, I sincerely hope you get it (knee) better!

vulcan_alex
    Participant

How about this for Good News, If we get an NC in vball that would be very good news for Gators, not so good for band wagon people who only care about football. Now we have a new HBC who is in my view far superior to the past one. I expect us to challenge for the East every year, and to play much better on offense no matter who the QB might be eventually. Being in the NC hunt will take a few years at least.

redhatgator
    Participant

Another day, another lost recruit. This time to Baylor. This class is all but lost now. We’re gonna see just what Coach Mullen can do with the players we still have, because it doesn’t look like anyone wants to come to UF anymore. This is sad to see

david smith
    Participant

I agree we need some good news but think that posters aren’t processing info yet.
    Taggart-elite recruiter-no commitments to him since joining FSU. 9 commits total
    Pruitt-elite recruiter-1 commitment to him since joining UT. 11 commits total
    Fisher-above average recruiter-1 commitment to him since joining A&M. 15 commits total
    Mullen-2 commitments to him since joining UF. 11 commits total

Wait until the end and see where they stand because right now you would be comparing Mullen to a bunch of new coaches at comparable programs that have done nothing to date and you have him losing. Even Chip Kelly who everybody dreamed of has only received 4 commits since joining UCLA and has a total of 12 commitments right now.

CROCS
    Participant

David Smith…the “voice of reason.” Don’t panic ya’ll. DM has a fire in his belly that will pay off long term for all of us.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

A very bad long weekend stretch …
    1. Lost 5-star QB commit. This might not be a biggie in the long run but stings with this funk UF seems to be in)
    2. B-Ball loses to another unranked ACC team.
    3. Women’s V-Ball loses to lower seed in NCG.

Any of these alone is no biggie. But the 3 in a quick row really is depressing.

nopriors
    Participant

I have complete faith in Dan Mullen. I think it is hard for him to get traction right now considering a lot of the prior commits were the type of people that might connect with the previous coaches. It was a given that some of the players might follow Randy Shannon or bail. For a lot of the prospects Mullen was the coach at Miss. State. They might not get the impact he had here as OC. It seems odd that no other school appeared to be after Corral. Mullen said he will develop his offense around what he has to work with. Trask and Allen certainly must have some potential. I am even curious to see what the coach can do with Franks. When the spring game comes the players that make it trough Mullen’s preseason strength and conditioning program are all going to be better athletes than last year. That alone will make a big difference. The future looks great.

I agree the V-Ball loss was a bummer for a great group of girls and their coach. Be PROUD!

gator67
    Participant

Van Jefferson’s transfer counts as some good news, though not a major development. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days. In any case, I agree that we should have some optimism, though tempered by unavoidable uncertainty.

mtn2top
    Participant

Coach Mullen and staff are putting in some long hours to make the best of the circumstances.

Some things never change. It would seem a QB is of critical importance to this class. It’s a tough need to fill at the last minute.

gator67
      Participant

It is hard to recruit a top-notch qb at the last minute, but it appears that the Gators have a pretty decent chance to land Emory Jones, who is more highly-rated than Corral. I’m not predicting this outcome. Still, it is remarkable that there is a serious possibility of this happening.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

If I’m reading this correctly, we should most likely get Jones. He does seem to match the dual-threat QB mold that is ideal for Mullen’s offense.
    24/7Sports – Emory Jones

mtn2top
    Participant

Emory Jones coming on board is some very good news. Congrats to Coach Mullen who has had a relationship with Emory and the Jones family for years.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Agreed @mtn2top – hopefully we will start picking up some momentum now.

gator67
    Participant

Signing Jones is very big. It also underscores how much difference it often makes to have a long-term relationship with a recruit and his family. I’m hoping that this development will attract some good wide receivers to this class.

nopriors
    Participant

Thirteen signed and eight will be here in January for Mullen’s strength and conditioning workouts under Savage. Looking good. More to come

paindocgja
    Participant

Coach Mullen and staff did a commendable job in the short time provided.Congrats to staff
    for a good first class.

gator67
    Participant

It’s an excellent start, given how briefly Mullen has been with the Gators, but not the end by any means. I hope that there are enough very good players who are either uncommitted or willing to flip for February to have similar results. Of course, one cannot reasonably expect another recruit as highly ranked as Emory Jones to be available this recruiting cycle.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Anyone know how many scholarships we have available this year?

redhatgator
    Participant

20 if I’m not mistaken (this was the starting number before early signee).

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Gang, Depending on attrition and who next declares for the NFL, between 23-25 total, per our Graham Hall.

Gators93
    Participant

We just landed OSU transfer Trevon Grimes who was a 4 star receiver last year (6th ranked wr). That’s very good news. I don’t think transfers count in recruiting rankings, if he did I think he would put us back in the top 10. I think Dan Mullen is doing a great job in such a short time frame.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Coach Mullen and staff are gaining momentum. Class rankings are very speculative and not a guarantee for success. But our class is in the top 20 on all sites I have checked. And if it moves, it is about 95% likely to move up.

WELL DONE COACH MULLEN and CO. – GO GATORS!!

CROCS
    Participant

Welcome Mr Grimes! 6’3″ and over 200 lbs and previous 4 star with 3 years left. Great pick-up.

Gator36502
    Participant

Really good news with the addition of Jones and the two transfers as well as the early signees. Really hope he can continue building momentum with this class at the O line and WR positions. I think defense recruiting may hurt this year but hopefully Coach Mullen can get the staff in place and start having the top to bottom kind of recruiting classes that excel on both sides of the ball.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Some good new on Egbunu. Hopefully he can get in a few minutes in the LSU game on 2/07 and then we can get some quality minutes from him starting with SC on 2/10. If we can start to more consistently cleanup the defensive boards we will be tough to beat.

GO GATORS!!!

UF’s Egbunu cleared for non-contact drills in practice

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

And I wonder if getting Egbunu back will change the dynamic – hopefully, positively – and help Allen get out of his rut.

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s great news. It means he is right on schedule to return with no setbacks. It’s going to take a few more weeks but it will be well worth the wait to get him back into the post for the Gators.

JHCRANE-14
    Participant

Good to hear 🙂

nopriors
    Participant

Finally done. Four of the nine are back with the team and most importantly get to participate in workouts. Two are linebackers. This is good news just to be able to move on. I wish them success.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.