Up to Franks or Zaire

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  vulcan_alex 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Florida coach Jim McElwain said QB Luke Del Rio will be out for the season with a shoulder injury that will require surgery Monday.
    Up to Feleipe Franks and Malik Zaire at QB and Kadarius Toney off the wildcat.

david smith
    Participant

Just go with Franks no matter what unless the line gets him hurt too. Franks is the future. Just don’t see the positives with Zaire.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

This validates that picking up Zaire was a smart move. We have more depth than in previous years. We don’t need to go out of our way to protect Franks. Need to start getting #4 quarterback, whether it’s Toney or Trask, some reps.

mtn2top
    Participant

My heart breaks for Luke Del Rio who worked so hard to get back as starter. Thanks Luke, for saving the Kentucky game and keeping us clean in the East.

Franks reacted well to the benching. I hope Coach Mac will continue to make a change when needed. Franks has a lot to learn but will gain invaluable experience for the next few weeks. Zaire has to be ready to go under a number of different circumstances, so I’m sure his reps will increase this week.

mtn2top
    Participant

Also, the injury today made me think that Coach Mac in all likelihood started Franks at the start of the season because Del Rio was not fully healed. Behind two TD’s late in the UK game, Coach Mac thought he might be ready to go. He looked good and saved the game, hence the Vandy start.

gator67
    Participant

This is a very tough break for LDR. The hit did not seem to be out of the ordinary, so I suspect that he hadn’t fully recovered from surgery. But who knows? In any case, he did save the Gators against Kentucky, and he’s been a great competitor and supporter of this teammates. I wish him the best.

I was impressed with the way Franks stepped in and took over the offense. He seemed much more poised and prepared than he did in the Kentucky game. Maybe the difference was playing in the swamp. It’s good that he has two more games there before facing Georgia in Jacksonville.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.