UGA beat Franks

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

CROCS
    Participant

No doubt, UGA beat Franks. He is our liability. How fresh it was to see Jones run the ball (and not fumble) and appear like he has actually run with a football before. Franks has his moments, unfortunately both good and bad. The first offensive play was genius coaching and typical Franks unfortunately. Reminded me of the Spring Game when he could not even execute the trick play to a former QB on the sideline correctly. He is not a game manager. Fromm for sure is. No fumbles. No interceptions. UGA beat Franks. The rest of the team did well and the future looks bright. More Emory Jones moving forward please.

flablue
    Participant

Exactly.

gator67
    Participant

Franks did not play well in this game, but he is not the only reason that the Gators lost. It appeared to me that he let that first pass, a bad overthrow to a wide-open receiver, get into his head. He started pulling the string on his throws, which is the reason he threw the interception. He threw better in the second half, including a pretty touchdown pass to Swain — probably due to some good half-time coaching. His fumble was due to a lack of protecting the ball as he went down, but you have to give the Georgia player some credit for reaching in and pulling it out. In short, he contributed to the loss but also helped the Gators take the lead at the beginning of the third quarter (so not all bad).

But how can you ignore Scarlett’s fumble, which killed the Gators’ first drive and gave Georgia a lot of momentum? Or why shouldn’t we recognize that the problems with the secondary and the lack of a consistent pass rush also made big contributions to the loss? The team really missed Henderson badly (injured due to “friendly fire”).

The team wins, and the team loses. It’s too easy to pin the loss on the QB. It’s also not very perceptive or fair.

CROCS
    Participant

Fair? As fans I guess we need to be “fair” now? And about not being perceptive… Have you watched us play games for almost 2 years now where almost every opposing school’s QB makes you say “why can’t our QB do that?” I have played and watched football for over 50 years (including at the Div I level), and I feel quite perceptive in saying a better playing QB would have placed UF in a much better position to win last weekend – even tho it is a team game (thank you Captain Obvious). I would rather be “correct” than “fair” in my assessments, as that is the only way to improve. But alas, no doubt we will potentially ride Mr Franks to a 10 win season this year (I hope); and I would be the first to congratulate him, but that does not make him our QB of the future.

gator67
      Participant

If it were correct, it would be fair, so I was also disagreeing with the analysis (i.e., that Franks was the sole reason for the loss, which is the apparent meaning of UGA beats Franks). It’s not fair in the sense that it leaves aside the many other factors contributing to the loss. I also acknowledged that Franks played poorly, at least for the most part, which implies that a QB who had played better would have improved UF’s chances. It is hard to know whether better QB play would have resulted in a win, however. That would have changed the dynamics of the game in unpredictable ways. There is a pretty strong consensus that UGA has the better players overall, at this point in time, so maybe their adjustments to more UF offensive success could have still led to a victory for the Bulldogs. We will never know. What we do know is that many different things, only some of them on Franks, contributed to the loss. In fact, my guess is that without better pass defense, the Gators would still lose.

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s just it, hero or goat. It’s the nature of the QB position.

The reality of his situation is different. That’s why this program is on the rebound. The team accepts responsibility for the loss.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.