Trask Snake-Bit

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 1 month ago.

• Author

shadowgun1102
    Participant

Wellllll, back to the future. May I introduce you to Franks Post Luke, or is it Franks Post Malik, or how about Franks Post Kyle? Whatever his name he keeps coming back, and we must now get behind him, support him, and scream as follows: “hit the open man!”

Gator-6
    Participant

Hey Shadow, good topic at exactly the right time of year while we wait for something to happen other than the continuing saga of the sexual escapades of Florida freshman.

I suspect that if Trask is indeed “snake-bit”, it’s more volitional than not. That is to say, of all the players on the roster for the last couple of years, he seems like the one who is happiest to just be on the team, be a Gator, and be ready to play whenever the coaches see fit. I think the kid certainly has some talent and that the talent can be further developed, but I’m not the coach and I don’t get to choose the starting line up. StL, among others, have sustained that Trask is working toward a different trajectory than everyone else — coaching. That may be why he seems so satisfied to get in when he can and otherwise soak up all the CTM he can from CDM — Coaching, Teaching, and Mentoring…..from Coach Dan Mullen.

Now, all that said, I hope Franks has a true break out year, consistently, from game to game, and takes the Gators to a true break out year.

Gator65
    Participant

If Trask is working on becoming a coach what better team to learn from than the one he is with now. He has talent that was flashed a few times followed by injury. Bradford has talent but has been hurt his whole career college and NFL. Not in the cards for all of them and if he is talented at coaching he could do well. I think we’ll see him a time or two this year and he may have a chance to show us what he can do. But call it Snake Bit or Fate timing wasn’t always his friend. BUT I admire him for his loyalty and his continuing work effort. Time will tell. Now someone hit the fast forward button on season and the rewind button on my aging.

Gator-6
      Participant

Your last sentence has been on my mind 25/7, 65. I’ve decided that there is no way to age gracefully, so I’m going back to being a heathen!

I really do have a feeling tho, that we’re going to hear about Trask down the road….more than a hunch, too.

StLGator
    Participant

“Hit the open man!” Shadow, THAT is the most pithy description of how I feel about Mr. Franks that I’ve ever read! LMAO!!! 😂😂😂

That said, I’m with 6 in “hoping” that “Franks has a true break out year…” I just wouldn’t bet MY money on it (maybe 65’s, but not mine! LOL!)

As for Mr. Trask, I won’t take credit for coming up with the coaching ambition angle, although it makes some sense. If he sticks around UF for his full eligibility period and then becomes a grad assistant coach somewhere we’ll know that was his objective.

Seems to me that if Mr. Trask wanted to be a starter he would have placed his name in the transfer portal right after the spring game. That he hasn’t means, at least to me, that being a starter somewhere is NOT his primary goal, which is good for the Gators.

Gator-6
      Participant

You know, bud…after I posted that about attributing Trask coaching, I began to wonder if you actually said that or not. To tell you the truth, that’s because (a) my memory anymore is about as long as my _______, and (b) you make so many good points all the time that if I can’t remember who said something, I just figure it had to have been you!

Now, that all gets real confusing when the full gang is posting, CO Jones, Mveal, Smith, Sly, 65, Gator Ed and a whole lot of others…..but I guess you’re just a default setting when memory fails.

By the way, what were we just talking about?

mveal2006
    Participant

trask reminds me of a former tennessee vols qb and gainesville kid darryl dickey. no one thought he would do much, just taking a slot since his dad was a big name, and the other qbs in the program were heisman types. but one day towards the end of his time at tennessee he took over after an injury for the starter and beat the daylights out of everyone , especially miami in their hot shot days. he went on to coach a little bit, and i know the vols came to really love him before he left.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

Not sure about ”snake bites,” but I’ve got ”12 reasons” why Florida’s Q.B., Felipe Franks, should do very well in the 2019 season (despite a young O-line, too): 2-Lamical Perine, 27-Dameon Pierce, 20-Malik Davis, 12-Van Jefferson, 4-Kadarius Toney, 8-Trevon Grimes, 16-Freddie Swain, 89-Tyrie Cleveland, 10-Josh Hammond, 88-Kemore Gamble, 4-Kyle Pitts, 14-Lucas Krull. In my opinion, this is the best group of ”skilled players” at Florida since Coach Dan Mullen was the O.C. at U.F. (’05-’08).
    Go Gators! Just win, baby!

Gator-6
      Participant

Now that you put it that way, GI……well, that’s pretty good evidence. Coupled with now being a “willing runner” in CDM’s offensive scheme (and a Tebow-like one at that, who has turned into a Hulk), the presence of those guys sure takes the pressure off while the team gains confidence.

Gator65
        Participant

My thoughts too GI. The Miami game will be a bellwether on how the offense is going to be. I expect some inconsistencies in the first quarter gradually coming together as the game goes on. FF will be more than good and should KT need to join in the 12 above mentioned reasons will keep things rolling.

StLGator
          Participant

How many days to go till that Miami game again???

mtn2top
    Participant

The Miami defense will be a significant challenge for the UF offensive line. There’s no doubt about that.

Coach Mullen will not expose them with over-reliance on pass blocking and long developing routes. With our stable of running backs, we’re going to run it right down their throats early and often with some quick outlet passing to keep them honest.

I’m anticipating a low scoring defensive battle. The most disciplined team wins this game. I think that’s UF.

StLGator
      Participant

Spot on evaluation and prediction mtn2top!

For anyone who’s into betting on CFB games, bet the under for the Miami game. The only way to hit the over will be for turnovers to be turned into defensive, or easy scores… as occurred in Dallas a couple of years ago.

Gator-6
      Participant

Agree 100% MTN — Mullen is known for developing game plans and utilizing whatever strengths he has at any given moment in time, and the OL at that time is basically an unknown. KISS principle applies. We’ve got plenty of time to open up the playbook, we’ve got two quarterbacks, one who can run with brute force and one who can run with finess, and a stable of running backs who can do whatever they’re called upon to do. Pass enough to keep ’em honest, and let Grantham’s men duke it out when it’s their turn — hell, they can score points too if need be. Like 65 says, this game will be a bellweather….with more to come.

mtn2top
    Participant

Nothing builds O-line confidence and coordination better than good run blocking. That’s the fastest way to get all these guys pushing together as a unit.

Over-defending the run will cause the Miami defense to be vulnerable to a late releasing Gator TE or Toney in the slot. We are going to see a lot more offensive contribution from these positions this season. Toney is going to fill the need for a Harvin-type role in this offense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.