Orange & Blue Blues

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 6 months ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

It always such a let-down after the Orange & Blue game with football a couple of months away.

I enjoyed watching the scrimmage and festivities. The game was fun and filled with offensive action due to a handcuffed defense. The D doesn’t have to risk hurting our own offensive players to prove they are capable.

Year 2 under Coach Mullen looks good based on the Spring game. It’s clear the Gator offense will improve and take at least one step forward.

Gator-6
    Participant

Despite the format, Mtn, I saw a lot that makes me think an 11-2 season and a possible Top-5 ranking is going to be a reality. I sure don’t want to get too far out in front of my own headlights, mind you, and there’s a ton of things that can still go wrong in 2019 — but that’s the type of progression I’m counting on to get us to the national title game by 2021. Or sooner? Why not us? The mostly rational side of my otherwise impoverished brain informs me that Dan Mullen may very well be the next Dabo!

Aside from that, I remain schizophrenic and so am I.

StLGator
    Participant

The really interesting thing about the Gator spring game format this year is that it was designed as an exhibition game for all the recruits the Gators had on campus and they had many. CDM passed on having the SEC Network televise the game live at a later time in order to accommodate all their schedules.

It already yielded results with two commitments. The first was 3* 2020 H-Back prospect Jaheim Bell (6-2, 213, Valdosta, GA. High), who was impressed with TE play. The second was the Gators’ first 2022 commit from receiver Syveion Ellis (6-5, 200, Brunswick, GA. High), who was impressed with the WR corps. Both are Georgia athletes recruited be Smart.

The measurables on that 2022 WR prospect are impressive. If he has the speed and hands to go with that height and weight, he’ll be a coverage nightmare!

GO GATORS!!!

Gator-6
      Participant

StL — I read your dialogue with 65 and gathered that you did see some degree of improvement in Franks, to wit, improved accuracy and better “touch”. In this type of game, I really couldn’t assess his decision making, but the other two factors seemed to be a pretty good compensation for what Mveal calls “mindspeed” and what I call “innate processing speed” liabilities. What are your thoughts?

As far as the OL, again so damned hard to tell in this format, but I think 65 (in person) and I (on TV) were seeing basically the same things which gave us at least more confidence. Too bad that this scrimmage lacked better tests of both run blocking and pass protection, as those two things are going to make or break the season IMO. We’ll be in a black hole info-wise for the next few months now, unfortunately.

StLGator
        Participant

6 — The spring game format doesn’t lend itself to drawing too many reliable conclusions. That said, touch and accuracy in passing are skills that will improve with repetition and are noticeable even passing against no coverage. Franks’ touch and accuracy appear to have improved since the bowl game.

As to decision making, who knows. Franks wasn’t facing a lot of pressure from the DL. So, he could take his time and wait for his preferred receivers to break open.

One bad thing hasn’t changed and probably never will. Franks STILL has not been broken off the habit of staring down his primary receivers from the moment the offense lines up for a play. He did it again repeatedly on Saturday.

He just doesn’t appear to have the ability to anticipate where his receivers will be 2-3 seconds after the ball is snapped and just throw the ball there. He has to look for them before aiming his passes in their direction. That lets DBs in zone coverage easily read his eyes and drift toward the receiver he’s staring at.

The best QB I’ve ever seen at anticipating where his receivers will be is Aaron Rodgers. That guy actually throws receivers open. In college, the best QB I ever saw was Danny Wuerffel.

Maybe, Franks will break himself of that habit, but I sincerely doubt it.

Gator-6
          Participant

You’re certainly right, StL. Perhaps with this corps of receivers….I don’t know….maybe it will improve. As in, “Trust me, dude, I’ll be there and I WILL catch it”.

Gator65
          Participant

STL you are very right about him still staring at the target. But he was better at the threading the pass into locations with the correct velocity to get it to the receiver. I fully agree that he has not yet, may never develop the ability to throw to where the receiver should be at a time that hasn’t happened yet. Throwing them open. He is learning. I thought his play was better than against FSU and Mich. I saw some movement on the OL that was more shifting for run blocking and even though they didn’t run it looked well executed. We have real targets WR/TE this year and a full house of RB’s that can catch and run. I feel the OB game also was designed to keep the OL/DL from hurting each other. FEAR THE CHOM!!

ag8tor
    Participant

I was impressed on how far the offense has come despite the vanilla defense. Go back about 2 years and look at the mess we had then. Franks always had the talent but needed to be coached. It has mad all the difference. The QBS and WRs put on quite q show. If we can get the production out of our O-line to give them a little time we could be looking at a top 5 year. The defense will be stout again. The paranoid side of me may be a little concerned about the secondary giving up all those yards but that’s just me recalling the Mac and Boom years.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s been so long since our players looked comfortable with a Spring offense. Consider the difference a few points per game average would make on the season.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.