Nussmeier moving to press box to call plays

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ag8tor 3 months ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

UF coach Jim McElwain said on the SEC conference call this morning that offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier is returning to the press box to call plays. He had been on the sideline. Guys, will that help?

Black Mamba
    Participant

nope, he’s still calling the plays.

Graham Hall

I looked this up – Nussmeier called plays on the sideline at Michigan in 2014, but previously he was in the booth at Alabama in 2012. In my research, I also found a, um, mildly relevant article about how Saban worked with a run-heavy Nussmeier offense. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2014/09/24/michigan-football-doug-nussmeier-alabama/16157395/

SovietGator
    Participant

Nussmeir sucked at Michigan too, he sucked everywhere he’s ever been but Bama. And that was because of Saban & Staff, Bama, and the talent. Nussmeir’s offenses consistently rank outside the FBS Top 100, often near the very bottom (out of only 127 teams). It will be more of the same. Hopefully the defense can bail us out like they have since 2010.

Jabberdave
    Participant

I’d like it if he’d call plays in the press box in, say…..Cleveland…..Madagascar.

Black Mamba
    Participant

Might as well just start Del Rio this week, and the rest of the year.
    I mean, he can throw it 80 yards, and we need all the big plays we can get.

mtn2top
    Participant

I think it will help in what plays are called. I’m all for trying something different to get better results than what we’ve seen so far.

It’s easier to see the field and defense from the box. Distractions are reduced.

Having face to face communication with players, especially a young and inexperienced QB is also valuable.

I like it for this game because it puts pressure on Nussmeier to improve or risk replacement. There did seem to be lack of continuity in the play calling for the Michigan game.

ag8tor
    Participant

I give Coach Mac credit for at least trying SOMETHING else. It sure can’t hurt. Do you think we will see them load up the defensive front with 8-9 in the box like Michigan? All UT has to do is watch the tape of the defensive scheme Michigan used and implement it until we show something different. If we don’t then Nuss needs to go. Coach Mac needs the headphones on so he can veto some of the useless plays called against a strong front. I could mean his job if he doesn’t!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.