New Week – New Game

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 2 months ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

Have to give coaches and players credit for moving on from the loss to UK. I like what Coach Mullen said after the CSU win, about the team still needing to still work hard but being able to practice this week with a smile.

Tale of two long-time SEC East schools this week. There will be many comparisons made between UF and UT surrounding this game. It’s a great opportunity for the Vols to make a statement at home on the direction of their football program.

UT will have the best offensive and defensive lines we’ve faced. That’s the strength of this Vol team. It presents a significant challenge for the Gators. If we can put the game into the hands of our skill players we can win.

gator67
    Participant

The Gators will need to play their best game of the year so far if they hope to win. I have hopes that they can do it, but cannot say that it would surprise me if they do not. The offensive line still hasn’t shown much that would give me confidence that they can open holes for the run game, and I think this will be much needed.

mtn2top
    Participant

Gators exposed the Vol offensive line. David Reese was the ethanol this unit needed to reach a new level of defensive intensity. At that same time, what happens if Reese is not on the field?

Offense improved from the previous week but not consistently. Take away the turnovers and you have a close game.

You can’t take away the turnovers because that’s a big part of this team’s identity.

After dominating MSU at home, the UK road victory over the Gators comes into better perspective. The Cats have a very fundamentally sound football team. The Gators could learn a lot from the Cats on how consistent effort for sixty minutes can beat a bigger, faster and “better” team.

mtn2top
    Participant

This is the week (MSU) we have to push some people around to get a win. UK did it to the Bulldogs last week and dominated.

Defense must spy Fitzgerald and limit runs. Gator offense must be able to run the ball. Blocking and tackling. It’s really that simple.

mtn2top
    Participant

Clearly, we have to build on physicality to be competitive in the LSU game. That’s especially true for the offensive line. They’ve been making steady but not spectacular progress.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s no week off. Our team must improve in preparing for and playing Vandy.

There are aggressive tendencies the defense is developing that are exploitable. I can see Vandy using screens, shovel passes and other ploys to slow down our pass rush. They’ll want to test our young secondary, not the line.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.