Misery in Mizzou

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mtn2top 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

That was an exciting game and road win against Missouri. Now that it’s conference play, seeing a grit and determination from this team that is outstanding.

It’s not so easy to go on the road and knock off two of the better division teams in back-to-back games. We beat the Aggies on the perimeter and the Tigers with defense and rebounding. The defense and on-court chemistry is improving with every game. Things are going well for the Gators.

CROCS
    Participant

Concur. The team is starting to gel and the optimism is coming back. Definitely a different “feel” than the first five games when we were shooting lights out. This was a gritty, determined, and tough effort and the ending made it sweet.

gator67
    Participant

I was impressed with the team’s mental toughness, coming back from double-digit deficits twice to be on top at the end. The Texas A&M win was perhaps not terribly impressive, given the Aggies current struggles, but beating a red-hot Mizzou team on their floor was very impressive. This is a great start to the conference grind and will hopefully propel the Gators into a good run through the rest of the schedule. It will help to get the injured bigs back, though I am concerned about the challenge of working new players into a team that now seems to be on a roll.

mtn2top
    Participant

There’s enough of a vacuum in the post that Egbunu will easily fill the need. That will make Hayes that much more effective in relief and as a power forward. It’s going to take him a few games for conditioning.

I’m most eager to see Allen get back to form. He’s been a bit of the odd man out on offense. I like that he’s playing better defense and driving to the basket. Obviously there’s been more of an adjustment for him on offense with Koulichov and Hudson coming into the rotation.

gator67
      Participant

You make a good point, and I hope that this is the way it goes. I can’t help but be a little nervous about this, however, since team chemistry plays a very important role in the game. For example, Egbunu will be more formidable than Hayes on the defensive end, but his presence will affect the fast break offense going the other way since he will not be going up and down the court in the way Hayes can. Still, on balance, it is better to have that big in the middle.

mtn2top
        Participant

Our lineup is fluid with all of the talent we have on our roster. In most games we’ve been able to compensate for being a bit light under the basket.

I like the way that Coach White has strategically found the right combination of players to have on the floor. Stone was able to put up career numbers in the A&M game.

That’s why I think Egbunu and Stokes will fit right into the lineup when needed. They’ll provide new options for defense and scoring in the paint.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.