Mack Brown at UNC

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  youneverknow 5 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

mtn2top
    Participant

Got to wonder how much is in the tank versus the bank account. I don’t see this ending well. Mack wasn’t that impressive running powerhouse Texas into decline.

StLGator
    Participant

As already discussed in another thread, it’s all about who Mac hires as his assistants and how successfully he recruits vs. Dave instate, Dabo and Will to his South, Bronco and Justin to his north and Jeremy to his west. He did well enough to win a NC at Texas, but that was 13 years ago!

Brown knows what it takes to build a winner, but how much fire does he still have left in his belly? We’ll get to find out.

How about Kansas hiring The Hat???

Gator-6
    Participant

Well, I’m a big fan of Mack’s…..so naturally I’m biased in thinking he will do well. Heck, Snyder came back and won at K-State, didn’t he? As far as The Hat goes — give him three seasons and I’m willing to bet Kansas is in contention for a Big-12 championship. I would love to see them wind up in a bowl game vs LSU!

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

I’m a fan of Mack Brown, Les Miles, as well as Phil Fulmer and Bobby Bowden. They won national championships but their fans and administration turned on them during the down cycle. There’s little loyalty left in our society. It’s win or else and what have you done for me lately.

StLGator
    Participant

Sly, Mac Brown just signed a 5-year contract that will pay him $3.5 million annually to coach UNC. How much of next year’s $3.5 million will he give back to UNC every time the Tar Heels lose a game next season? Answer: ZERO.

Loyalty from/to college football coaches ended when they began demanding AND getting those astronomical salaries. How much loyalty did Jimbo Fisher have for FSU last year? Heck, how much loyalty did the Head Ball Coach have for Gator Nation back when he took all that money from the Redskins and quit on us… from a golf course… via cell phone?!!!

Loyalty to/from college football coaches is DEAD! That’s if it ever existed in the first place.

Go Gators!!!

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

Can’t argue with you there, but I don’t have to like it. It’s an indictment on our society in general, not just football.

Gator-6
    Participant

I think our culture — and society too — has morphed into virtually “throw away” anything, you name it. It works both ways, of course. Disappointing to see men like Phil Fulmer, Bobby Bowden, Les Miles, et al caught up in it.

I remember my CSM Dad telling me early on, “Don’t ever forget who brung you to the dance, son” — took it to heart and stayed in the Army for 32 years despite the low pay/responsibility ratio and other things. But I look at my oldest son, who is a smart kid with an MBA, and I’ve given up telling him to stick with a company more than the obligatory couple of years before moving on. In the last 10 years at that level, he’s been with 5 different companies, each one with more money and benefits, sure — but I can’t help but wonder if he had just stuck with the first one that invested all that money in him to begin with. It is what it is, I guess.

StLGator
    Participant

We live today in an instant gratification society whose motto is, “What have you done for me lately?” Anyone worth anything at all sells himself to the highest bidder, or becomes the chump as his management takes full advantage of his loyalty and hard work.

Look at Steve Spurrier. He returned to Gainesville in 1990 and in seven years took the Gators from perpetual mediocrity to their 1st NC. Yet, when the recruiting wars revved up in the late 90s and he asked for more help, his management took full advantage of his loyalty and politely told him to suck it up and work harder. Is it any wonder that after 3 years of that treatment and after seeing what OU did for Stoopsy, he soured on UF, took the Redskins’ money and ran???

Sadly, today we have to take as much as we give, or someone is guaranteed to take advantage of our loyalty.

Go Gators!!!

Gator-6
    Participant

And that, StL, is a true statement if there ever was one.

MexiGator
    Participant

I agree that success for Mack Brown and Les Miles will be determined by who they can get to be their assistant coaches and the financial support they receive from their university. I see Mack Brown having a better opportunity for success at UNC than the Hat at KU. It seems to be a bit more of an wide open conference other than Clemson. The idea of having to work 365 and suck up to the newer generations of recruits is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow for the older guys. Spurrier said as much during the Dooley interview last week. It will be interesting to see if they still have the fire in their bellies.

StLGator
    Participant

I know of an “old guy” who took over a perennial loser in the state of Kansas and patiently turned it into a big winner. They named the stadium in his honor!

The Hat has all the experience and contacts from his LSU days. He knows how to recruit and he knows a little something about playing defense, which will be a novelty in the Big 12.

The million dollar question is will he have the patience and support from the KU administration to completely rebuild a program from the ground up.

We’ll see.

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s just it, do these retirees have the energy and passion to be successful by working 14+ hour days, seven days a week to rebuild second tier programs? It’s a young man’s game.

Both coaches are taking positions geographically where they are starting from scratch with high schools, coaches and recruits. That alone is a 3-4 year curve.

Both of these colleges have football programs that are second to their hoops programs. These are challenging situations that take incredible effort and time by a new coach to address.

Both of these coaches are too old for anything but putting a coat of new paint on these programs. Let’s see how long they last as a second priority in funding and focus within the athletic departments of these universities.

No matter what their reputations and accomplishments, this is a steep uphill climb to turn these two wanna-be football programs around.

StLGator
    Participant

Granted, but remember, these are NOT Texas and LSU. The expectations at these 2 schools are MUCH lower. For both coaches, a winning season and bowl invitation will be considered major turnarounds.

Regardless of what happens, these coaches will draw media attention to two programs that are in desperate need of it, at least next season.

youneverknow
    Participant

Mack to UNC won’t hurt them. Agree with the lower expectations at UNC. Like his former protege at TX now at USC, 8-9 wins should keep the natives from getting restless. Hey it’s the ACC!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.