64.7 F
Gainesville, FL
Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Luke Del Rio

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  DrG8r 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Gators93
    Participant

Paul Finebaum has reported that Luke Del Rio was named the starting quarterback for the Vanderbilt game.

I don’t think Del Rio is the greatest QB in the country, but he is more mature and a better game manager at this point. It also gives Franks another year to learn and develop. I’m sure the coaching staff will find plenty of opportunities to get him in the game.

nopriors
    Participant

Luke fell back into my “circle of trust” with the fourth down conversion to Thompson. If you watch the TD pass to Swain it seems like the whole offense knew the play.

mtn2top
    Participant

Luke Del Rio should have been the starter from the first snap of the season.

gator67
    Participant

I’ve got to hand it to you for your consistency on this point, mtn2top. I recall that you were saying Del Rio was the best option well before the start of the season. Maybe the Gators would have had a better chance against Michigan with Del Rio as qb, but I doubt that this would have changed the outcome. Still, it could have made that much difference. He probably would have changed Michigan’s defensive approach, in any case, with less blitzing and crowding of the box.

mtn2top
      Participant

Gator67, I’m not sure he would have made the difference against Michigan. Too much defense in an opening road game. The game would have been closer.

He may not have the best arm, just the smarts. That’s what this offense needs right now to utilize our skill players. I’m glad the contrast was so easy to see for all the haters. That was only with mediocre execution. It will get better fast as they can rise to his level of commanding the offense. That could not happen with Franks and they were not carrying him as they could in another year..

Mark my words, LDR will have a field day against Vandy and gain a lot of confidence for the offense moving forward. We’ll need it.

rll
    Participant

This is McElwain’s 3rd year and he still does not have a consistant qb. UF has been outplayed 3 times and are 2-1. When the worm turns it’s going to be brutal.

gator67
      Participant

I think that Del Rio has shown he is consistent when healthy (6-1 as a starter to this point). It also has to be more than luck that Mac is 9-1 in one-possession games. There is no doubt that the Gators need to improve to have a chance for a good season, but we need to remember that this is a young team that started this season dealing with what amounted to a tsunami (and I don’t mean Michigan). It has taken some time to adjust to being a significantly different team than they were shortly before the beginning of the season. I’ve got an idea: wait until things do actually get brutal before acting as if they are.

CROCS
    Participant

Luke will lead the team to victory. That is saying something different from physical deficiencies. Leadership matters.

rll
      Participant

If you cannot see how UF has been out played the last two weeks, maybe girls sports would be a better fit!!!

mtn2top
    Participant

There’s no need for childish insults. We won both game last I checked, and remain 2-0 and undefeated in the East and SEC. Yes, we’re in the middle of year three for Coach Mac. So why is the expectation to have a near flawless and experienced powerhouse team comparable to a ten-year program like Saban’s at Alabama?

It was unfortunate to lose Will Grier but we did at no fault of anyone else in this program. Franks may turn into an excellent QB, but he is young and inexperienced. Like many Gators, I’m not willing to throw away any game or season to train a QB no matter how talented. LDR is easily our best option as clearly proven in the last quarter of the UK game.

rll
      Participant

Let me be clear so you can understand. UF offense is no better today than in 2015. The defense is not as good as 2015. Sooner or later UF’s record will represent their quality of play. Would be great for UF to win out, but wishing and hoping is a losing approach. If UF loses against Vandy they go 6-5, possibly 5-6, They win they go 7-4. And yes I do expect McElwain team with his recruits to be better in his third year than his first.

vulcan_alex
      Participant

Yes as a team we have been outplayed, but we also somehow won. And if the fourth quarter offense is somewhat of an indication of improvement we will get better as more games get under this QBs belt. Providing he stays healthy.

DrG8r
    Participant

Del Rio demonstrated a command of the offense that the other Gator QB’s lack. Because of that, the Gator offense was able to increase the tempo. He made everyone play better, including the offensive line. He was helping T.J. McCoy with blocking schemes and analysts after the game pointed that out. He also can call an audible, which he did quite effectively against Kentucky. He’s the best QB for the Gators right now. I was hoping Franks would develop as fast as Grier, but he panicked, losing his confidence, in Lexington. If Franks had stayed in the game, Florida would have been embarrassed by the Cats! Franks has much to learn, and it’s not going to happen in a hostile environment or against a half-decent opponent.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.