Kelly to be announced Friday

This topic contains 42 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  drugator 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Black Mamba
    Participant

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Rumor that it would be nice to have true, or at least I think it will be. I do have concerns about hiring him, but only time will tell.

gator67
    Participant

It may happen tomorrow, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does not. These rumors have often proved to be untrue. I think that following Stricklin’s advice to relax is a good idea.

ESPN just announced Kelly a closet homersexual secretly married to Lane Kiffin. Covets UF job to be closer to husband in South Florida. Kiffin’s smokin’ hot “wife” brought in to fool public. Gator fans not concerned about trivial facts due to desperation on offensive side of the ball. When story broke, Tennessee said to have offered Kelly twice salary Florida is offering.

alohakid
    Participant

The person who reported CK to be announce today is an ass-hat. Stricklan warned against rumors. The credibility of that site just took a 75% hit. If it had been a publicly traded company its stock would certainly be in the toilet. How stupid and embarrassing. If I was member, I’d request a refund.

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Not today but rumors are something to talk about so they do get coverage on internet boards.

Reese Bobby
    Participant

What a Jobber you are Black Mamba. Come over here with a big prediction from gatorchatter trying to get traffic. Bunch of losers!

mtn2top
    Participant

Hiring Kelly would be very expensive and a big departure from the type of coaches we’ve had in the past. There’s zero connection to the SEC and Florida.

Possible? sure. Probable, I don’t see it.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

Just like a stopped clock is right twice a day, that prediction is right once a week.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

In the video, notice that his view is positive about the Florida job. And he does not say that there’s been no contact:

Is Chip Kelly interested in the UF job?

mtn2top
    Participant

You don’t send the UF plane to NH with President Fuchs, Stricklin and other staff if an offer isn’t being made. Look for things to develop early next week or not at all.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

@mtn2top – Agreed, well said.

So it’s down to UF v UCLA. If you watch the video in the link below, Bryant McFadden says he should go to UCLA. Surprise, surprise … the FSU guy wants to steer Kelly away from UF. Could it be that he knows UF would spank FSU with Kelly as our head coach?

Of course, I am speaking from a bias here. But still, I think it boils down to this: If he just wants to win conference championships, then yes, he should go to UCLA. But if he wants to win a national championship, he’ll need the speed he can get in Florida and the SEC. He need only ask his former OC about how well his offense can perform with Florida speed.

Meyer had no familiarity or ties in Florida when he came to UF. It didn’t matter. A winner wins wherever he goes.

Florida Preparing to Widen Coaching Search

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

And as to the talk that Kelly did not want to coach in college again because he doesn’t like many aspects, especially the recruiting part. None of that matters. His stint in the NFL most likely taught him that his system works well at the college level, but not so much in the NFL. If he wants to have long-term success as a coach – FBS is where he needs to be.

Al Bundy
    Participant

So we failed to land the #1 target yet again? Seems our UAA isn’t interested in winning NCs anymore. So what 2nd or 3rd tier coach do we go after next? Strong? Mullen? Keep Randy Shannon? What’s your thoughts Gator fans?

david smith
    Participant

In order to be an elite program you have to be able to land the big names. Michigan landed Harbaugh, OSU landed Meyer, and Bama landed Saban. They landed whales not just up and comers. It’s obvious we selected Kelly as our whale this time around, if he goes elsewhere it will show once more that we have to take coaches from non P5 teams and that it’s a toss up between us an any other top 30-50 type program. We’ve settled in the every time in the past when we went whale hunting this time may be no different. We’ve done well with up and comers like Spurrier and Meyer but we’ve never signed a coach who had had coached a team to MNC championship game or who had great success in the Pros.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

If Kelly decides to go to UCLA, it will most likely to stay away form the small college town spotlight/microscope. I believe he has true respect for UF and considers it a great place to coach. And note that he told UT he wasn’t interested as soon as they called. If he wasn’t interested in the UF job, he would have done the same.

According to media and/or other insiders, Kelly has two very strong desires that will factor mainly into his decision. 1. He would like to avoid the small college town spotlight.
      2. He wants to win a nationaal championship.

If 1 prevails over 2, he’ll go to UCLA. If 2 is more pertinent to him, then he’ll come to UF.

mtn2top
    Participant

I doubt if he needs the money. He’s got some good years of coaching left. Long tern success in coaching is elusive, as his career to date illustrates.

If Kelly comes to Florida, we’ll find out if Oregon and the Pac 12 was just a case of catching lightning in a bottle. Will the SEC be more difficult conference to win in? The game moves on. Is Kelly still innovative offensively?

We just canned a head coach after two and a half years and two SEC East wins. What does that say for job security at UF? If job security is a factor for Kelly he’s going to UCLA.

Realistically, the job environment at UF would be a big challenge for Kelly with so few regional connections. Will UF become a short-term dash for cash for top coaches?

gator67
    Participant

I agree that there is no guarantee that Kelly would succeed in the SEC. On the other hand, I understand why many are so excited by the prospect of Kelly coaching the Gators. Nevertheless, the narrative that he is the only good hire available is a product of the social-media hype machine, in my estimation. There are some other excellent coaches who might be available — and who might also be easier to deal with. All is definitely not lost if Kelly decides to go to UCLA.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

If Chip Kelly, in my opinion, wants the job at U.F., and wants to compete in this tough SEC, he’ll sign-on this weekend (by Sunday night). I don’t see it happening though, kinda’ like Urban, he’s using Florida as a ”stepping stone”. But unlike Urban, who served 5 good years here, and a couple not so good, Kelly is just using U.F. to get a better paying deal elsewhere… like U.C.L.A. Where the pressure isn’t as tough, the comp isn’t as rough, and that says it all about Chip’s so-called competitive nature. Chip Kelly’s no Nick Saban, he’s no Steve Spurrier, he’s not even an Urban Meyer! So, U.F., go and get Strong, then get Kerwin as his O.C., and let’s re-do this thing, ”GATOR STYLE”! COME ON GATORS, GET UP AND GET THIS RIGHT!

Al Bundy
    Participant

Why in the world would UF want to hire Strong after he just failed at Texas? I think that’s proof enough Strong isn’t the guy at a big time P5 program. I like Charlie, but I don’t think he’s cut out for the big time. I think you’re right about Chip Kelly though. I think he used UF to get UCLA to fire their coach and leave the door open for him. Everything I’m reading is pointing to him leaning UCLA because it’s the easier path to the play-offs. I’m not sure he can get through Saban with mostly California kids, but he’ll get through the Pac12 with relative ease most likely.

Threadkiller
      Participant

If you think Kerwin should be our OC then you know nothing about football.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

So much lack of football common sense on this thread. Yes, Kelly’s offense would be extremely successful at UF. Forgot that I’m telling you this. There’s proof positive down the road in Orlando. Frost is using Kelly’s system. He’s taken a team that was 0-12 and could not score on their grannies and turned them into the top offense in the country. He is not cheating his way to 10 dominating wins. This is not an SEC team playing in the AAC. It’s AAC talent against mostly equal AAC talent. The only difference is a little bit of extra speed he gets in Florida. Kelly took Oregon to 4 straight BCS bowls, 3 PAC-10/12 titles, and came 3 points short of an NC.

Kirk Herbstreit is saying the same thing. The truth is Kelly would be UF’s Nick Saban.
    Herbstreit Thought on Kelly to Florida

Al Bundy
    Participant

I agree with you that I believe Kelly would be UF’s version of Nick Saban and would pucker a lot of buttholes in the college football world, but it’s not looking good for the home team in the most recent leaks I’ve seen. Everyone but a few Gator homers are predicting Kelly to UCLA now. I guess Frost would probably be my next hope after Kelly but again, I’m hearing he wants to stay at UCF and try to get them into the B12. I just don’t know who that leaves out there that looks like they could be a home run type hire right now. There’s a lot of intriguing candidates, but none scream “can’t miss” to me like Kelly or Frost do.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I don’t think any of these reports can be trusted. I think the only person who knows which way Chip Kelly is leaning is Chip Kelly. I think many are just speculating that since he has PAC-12 experience, he’ll take the UCLA job. Keep in mind, Kelly is known for being unpredictable. Also, those saying he’d be afraid of the competition in the SEC – in particular, Bama – I don’t see that. He is confident and competitive. And I’d bet he thinks he could be the best coach. And there’s no better way of being the best than beating the best. I don’t think he’d be afraid of the tough competiton. I think he’d welcome it. Plus, you know he sees what Frost is doing and I’d be willing to bet he’s talking to Frost as well. His offense utilizes speed and agility. Sure, he could get a lot of that at UCLA … but he could get more at UF.

Watch this video again. That is honest praise he gives to the UF job. Plus, how do we know he’s not just using UCLA to get UF to up their offer?

Is Chip Kelly interested in the Florida Job?

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I believe many were certain that Meyer was going to take the Notre Dame job. How did that work out for Notre Dame?

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Al Bundy
    Participant

There’s tons of reasons he “should” come to UF. I agree. I’m just not sure that’s the way it goes anymore. We’ll see. I hope you’re right. He’s that home run hire we’ve needed since Meyer left.

david smith
    Participant

Looks like reporting right now is that UF has moved on from Kelly. If so, I smell sour grapes. Just like Bob Stoops(multiple times), Mike Shannahan…. If Chip Kelly goes elsewhere, that’s okay. But this guy was our #1 option. We settled on all our football coaching searches except for Spurrier and Meyer. You aren’t a truly elite job when you are settling and you can only land an up and coming coach. I like Scott Frost and Dan Mullen as candidates but neither was/is our first option.

Meyer was our first option but was an up and comer. He said ND was his dream job but I think that was BS. OSU was his dream job but no way was OSU dropping Tressel for Meyer at that point. Meyer could have easily gone to ND when he left UF. Anybody that thinks ND didn’t have any kind of communications with him about the job is a little crazy. OSU job opened up probably after they talked to Meyer and then cut Tressel, Meyer jumped at it. It’s his last stop unless he gets canned. That’s a dream job. Saban ain’t going anywhere unless he gets bored of college football. That’s a dream job. UF was a dream job for Spurrier but then he was an alumni.

Let’s be honest here. If the info out there is correct, any coach that is worth anything is going to tell UF to pound salt if they are going to require that coach to keep certain assistants. This may be a very tough lesson for UF and it’s fans if the news is correct about making sure Shannon and others are kept. Stricklin should just make himself the HBC if that’s the case.

Right now we need an offensive coach who will throw everything they got at the opposing defense to score a td. If we get a coach like that, I’ll be thrilled because the defense will come.

What’s the difference between our football and basketball programs? About a 78k fan capacity. That’s it. Other than that, they are the same program.

UF job = FSU job. FSU job might actually be a better job just because of it’s location.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

“OSU job opened up probably after they talked to Meyer and then cut Tressel.”

Good to see there are others who figured this out. Meyer develops a mystery illness just a few weeks before the OSU scandal broke. A mere coincidence? … NO WAY. Does OSU can a NC-winning coach if they did not already know Meyer was ready to sign on? … Definitely not.

Al Bundy
    Participant

Yeah, I’m seeing UF has moved on from Chip Kelly, so that tells me we didn’t bring enough to the table to satisfy him. That doesn’t surprise me after Foley refused to get into the facilities arms race and let us get a decade behind all the other top programs. Heck, we’re behind the likes of Vandy and UK now. There’s no wonder no decent coach wants to come spin his wheels at UF. You can’t attract enough of the top talent to win championships if you aren’t willing to invest in what attracts them. It’s a vicious cycle UF has created for themselves thanks to Jeremy Foley. It looks like Stricklin is going to have to hire yet another mediocre coach willing to come put up with our poor facilities and getting his tail whipped on the recruiting trail by UM, FSU, and if we’re honest, we’re probably going to start losing the low tier 4 stars and even high tier 3 stars that Mac settled for to USF and UCF now. It’s gotten that bad and it all goes back to Foley’s refusal to invest some money a decade ago to keep us competitive. Stricklin has his work cut out for him. He’s going to have to get our facilities caught up while we mire in mediocrity for another several years.

SoCalGator83
      Participant

I think Mike leach is worth going after. Offensive minded had a good run at Texas Tech and has turned around Wazzu.

gator67
    Participant

The way some people on Gator forums have created a mass psychology (its tempting to write psychosis) about Kelly, exalting him to the position of the one and only Messiah for UF, is an amazing thing to watch. He did some great things at Oregon for four years, but this is not a guarantee that he would have similar success at Florida — not all “sure things” actually work. He may not even actually be the best possible person to hire since he does come with some quirky baggage. I am willing to give Stricklin space to do his job without second-guessing him, then judge the results as they play out.

I don’t trust these reports about the details of any discussions between Kelly and the UF, by the way. I keep thinking of Stricklin’s advice to believe nothing that we hear and only half of what we see. Words of wisdom, in my estimation.

david smith
    Participant

Congrats to UCLA in hiring Kelly. IMO he made the right choice because he’s a west coast type guy. UCLA is a better gig in that it’s well located and has an amazing recruiting area(California). His main and almost only competition for recruits and titles will be USC. At Florida he’d have competition like BAMA, UGA, FSU, and Miami for in state recruits.

I honestly think we should have never gone after him. He’s too big a get and UF has never hired a coach with his resume besides maybe Andy Lopez in baseball. Scott Frost was always the best candidate for us as he’s an up and comer. That’s what we do. But now Nebraska has fired Riley so this is getting interesting because it happened immediately after Kelly was hired.

Hmmmmm….UF not getting Kelly, Nebraska says we better fire Riley and immediately let Frost know we are serious. Just like UCLA did. UF fans may have a very bitter pill to swallow. There are a lot of pie-in-the-sky types that think this is one of the top jobs in the country. Personally I don’t think it’s even a top 3 job in the SEC and never has been (BAMA, LSU, UGA definitely better). Hope we get Frost or anybody that wants to coach a fired up offense.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I think you’re right David. UF is no longer a top 3 or even a top 5 job because a decade ago Foley refused to get into the facilities “arms race” and everybody else left us in the dust. Now our once proud football program is the joke of the NCAA.

david smith
    Participant

Is there any mountain west head coaches worth hiring?

alohakid
    Participant

So, gatorchatter guy, tell us about that pre-dick-tion? What a tool….

Al Bundy
    Participant

There were a lot of other suckers not named gatorchatter that were wrong about this. Lighten up Francis.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I think some of you are reading into this what is not there. Kelly did not want the small college town spotlight. I’m 99%sure he took the UCLA job because he felt more comfortable in LA and in the PAC-12.

It’s not about Florida being a bad job. It’s that UCLA was a better fit for him.

mtn2top
    Participant

Part of the “fit” of the UCLA job for Kelly is competition, compatibility and expectation. He’ll have five years to orchestrate a turn-around at UCLA. It’s naive to think that those were not prime considerations after being bounced out of two NFL jobs.

Florida has become a great head coaching job for the money. It’s been a long time since it’s been anything else. We’ve had a string of top coaches who could not make it work in Gainesville. Do you really think it’s all on the coaches?

The comparison is getting closer to emulating Tennessee than Alabama with a major turnover of a stumbling UF program every couple of years to another head coach. That’s proven to be at minimum, a three to five year reset.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

If 2 = “a string”, then okay. If you say so.

Ask around the college football landscape …. coaches, media, ADs, etc. … and most will tell you Florida is one of the top-10 jobs in FBS.

mtn2top
    Participant

What are the top 10 coaching jobs?

What are the factor besides money that makes it one of the top jobs?

One of the reasons the last HBC coach was canned mid-season of year three was pushing too hard for facility upgrades. Does that represent institutional commitment? That encourages hiring someone who just goes along with the AD and doesn’t makes waves.

What does it say about communication and commitment when the AD makes the schedule and determines homecoming opponent without advising with the HBC?

My point is that the Florida job has become diminished by crushing expectations, questionable institutional commitment and increased competition for in-state recruits.

There will always be someone to take the big money and take a crack at putting a winner on the field. Most people have done very well AFTER leaving the UF head coaching job.

Al Bundy
    Participant

We’ve become a basketball school…

drugator
    Participant

Yeah, but Black Mamba said…….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.