I Cant Believe I Have to Root for USC (west) Now…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Al Bundy 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Black Dahlia
    Participant

…because now I have to root against UCLA in every single game. Not nearly as hard as I have to root against Ohio State, though. F@king traitor.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I don’t hate Chip for turning UF down. I suspect we simply didn’t offer to meet his demands for facilities and assistant coaching salaries. No reason to hold that against him. The UF UAA has a track record of being tight with their money. Look at how far behind our facilities are. Until the UAA gets serious about the UF Football program, the best coaches will shy away from us. They don’t want to be at a recruiting disadvantage. I don’t blame them. How would you like to come coach UF knowing every other P5 school that recruits Florida kids has a better weight room, locker room, stand-alone football complex than you? Throw that on top of a UF fan base that expects you to win and win big with little wiggle room for excuses, you get the Chip Kelly’s of the world looking elsewhere.

Black Dahlia
    Participant

Well, I’ve got to blame someone. If I took to task those really responsible for UF’s coaching debacles then I’d have to root against my own team. Which I unfortunately found myself doing this season, hoping for McElwain’s dismissal. It’s shameful but I couldn’t help myself.

It’s far past time for tough love for our AD and UAA. If our facilities aren’t up to snuff then we should demand new ones. One more questionable coaching hire and fans and boosters will begin voting with their wallets. Plus, the fan base is right to have high expectations for our program – we are the premier university of the state with the most football talent. We should be in the mix for a National Title almost every year. Instead we are the fifth or sixth best college football team in our state.

I’m sure there are a lot of intelligent and talented people working on filling the vacancy, but if your number one prospect turns you down after sending an entourage including the university’s president to his private home then it’s time to reevaluate continual SEC affiliation or even having a football program at all.

On a more serious note, we should just keep Shannon as interim coach until a proper candidate becomes available, even if that means through next season. It’s a better prospect than settling for a coach with the potential to become Zook 4.0, which is pretty much all the candidates after our first two choices who have already rejected us. Who knows, he just might win some games.

david smith
    Participant

Don’t hate Chip Kelly. It’s ultimately the person at the top to blame for the current state of situation. Jeremy Foley was often talked about as the best Athletic Director in the country. That’s not because UF had the best facilities but because UF fields a good team in almost every sport, paid them good $ and he didn’t tie his coaches down with clauses that financially penalized them if they wanted to go elsewhere. JF got the accolades for his hires even though his decisions for football were piss poor as he didn’t hire either Spurrier or Meyer(Machin did). He hired a special teams coach, a defensive coordinator, and offensive offensive coordinator. There were rumors that this athletic department were worried about recruiting and wanted certain coaches retained. I hope they get turned down by 5-6 coaches if that’s the case. Micromanagement. Any coach that’s any good won’t put up with it. So don’t expect a good coach if it’s true. This is SS’s baby now. We play in SEC East and honestly the only team that’s any good is UGA so winning the division isn’t a big issue other than 1 team and then you have to get past BAMA. BAMA went all in with SABAN. They refused to let him say no and he didn’t. UF thinks they are a better job than BAMA. HAHA

Gators93
    Participant

Can’t fault Kelly for making a decision that he thought was best for him. If it came down to LA vs Gainesville, there is nothing you could do about that.

The athletic department, on the other hand, made us look bad. If they don’t get Scott Frost now, it will look like top coaches don’t want to come here (for whatever reason) and we are settling – like Tennessee did with Butch Jones.

Al Bundy
    Participant

We are settling because our facilities are the worst in the SEC. Ky and Vandy have better football facilities than we do. The UAA has been making UF Football look bad for a decade.

vulcan_alex
    Participant

I will root against UCLA, I root against Denver, Vandy, UT, and many other schools that show disrespect. Kelly would be OK if he had not indicated any interest in our position, it might be that we would not accept another nut job either.

david smith
    Participant

Let’s play the interesting concept subscribed to by lots of galen hall supporters and people who have high faith. Kelly never said he had interest in our position. Those were just rumors. See how that works? Kelly never said he had interest so he didn’t. UF never made an offer because they didn’t say they made one. In fact “sources” said they didn’t make an offer. Those were just rumors. HAHA.

I personally think Kelly gave us the heave-ho yesterday but allowed us to save face by saying we were going in a different direction because he doesn’t care about that kind of stuff like Athletic Directors do. Kelly could go to any school with an opening right now. ANY. UF can’t hire any coach that may be available.

Al Bundy
    Participant

@vulcan_alex I’ll take a nut job that wins any day. Sure beats the heck out of the past two nut jobs that couldn’t win. I still love ya though bro. Live long and prosper!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.