Greg Schiano

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  redhatgator 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Gators93
    Participant

Whether he gets hired by Tennessee or not, reading Twitter today sure is fun. I’ve never seen a total meltdown like UT fans are having. You’d think a meteor is about to crash into Earth.

mtn2top
    Participant

What? No John Gruden?

This is always the craziest weekend in the coaching carousel and this year is perhaps the most insane of them all.

I’m not a bit surprised about the negative reaction to Schiano. With all the other openings and money flying everywhere – who is UT going to get? Makes sense to go after a coach that few elite programs want to save some money.

mtn2top
    Participant

That has to be a record for the shortest tenure of any coach. Why not let the Vol fanbase decide? The professionals have really botched things up in Knoxville for decades.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Holy he@#!! – what a white hot mess they have right now in Knoxville. Sorry UT fans, looks like the SEC east race will be UF-UGA for the next 10 years.

Gators93
    Participant

The irony is if you look at the miracle he pulled at Rutgers, a perennial bottom 10 team, he may have been exactly the right person to mold that pile of crap they have going there into something good. Now they will get someone way worse. After 4 years to rebuild Rutgers, his performance there over the next 7 years is as impressive as any coaches anywhere.

Anyone who looks at his record at the Bucs to say he can’t coach is an idiot. Spurrier was 12-20 at Washington. Lou Holtz was 3-10 at the Jets. Even Chip Kelly who every one has a woody over was 8 -23 in his last two season in the NFL.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Kinda ironic that – at least in the SEC – Saban is the leading cause of the high coaching turnover:

“‘My question about all this stuff is: Who do you hire?’ Saban said. ‘You basically start all over. You keep starting all over'”

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21582719/tennessee-volunteers-coaching-search-takes-bizarre-turn-backs-away-greg-schiano

Gators93
    Participant

I only wish Alvin York was here to enjoy it this with us.

mkfgator
    Participant

UT put a mojo on itself when those geniuses hired Lane Kiffen. He was cursed. Remember when he made fun of Urban Meyer and called him out and reported him to the NCAA for contacting Nukeese Richardson during his presser after signing day? Nukeese was his prize recruit. Kiffen took shots at Fla every chance he got. Then the curse started to unfold when Nukeese got busted for armed robbery. Then they lost to us. Then their record sucked. Then he tried turning UT into USC. Then he tried to leave in the middle of the night, all while the villagers were showing up at Frankenstein’s castle with pitch forks and torches. In the meantime, Farmer Fran was texting UT recruits to tell them not to sign their scholly papers and come to USC. UT has sucked since then. The Kiffen Curse is now manifesting itself in a big way, ironically in UT fans having the stones to actually cast judgment on a man they know nothing about . He would have been their best hire in 12 years. Instead, they will now end up with T Martin or Lee Corso.

mtn2top
    Participant

Where you been Alvin? Your pasty orange world has been tumbling down even further than the deep dark pit it was, for a couple of weeks now.

As crazy as it’s been for our Gator world, once again we could look at UT and say, “at least it’s not that bad.”

I have to agree with Gator93 on all counts. Schiano might have been the ideal coach in the bigger scheme of things. Oh and by the way, Gruden is not coming.

Most fans are clueless about which coach would be good for their teams and culture.

vulcan_alex
      Participant

He did??? So a rumor about “someone” which was retracted is the truth. How about a link showing he actually did any of that, then OSU better fire him.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

If – emphasis on IF – the UT protest was trully about Schiano’s actions, or lack thereof, at PSU, then that is noble and commendable. But I get the feeling that was the public face they presented while the larger private face was actually that they just didn’t think he was good enough for the job.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Isn’t it abrupt to fire him after one perceived bad choice? Shouldn’t Vol Nation at least give him the chance to come up with an acceptable candidate?

If you fire your AD now, then you have to go through the – at least – 2-3 month process of finding a new AD before you can begin a new HC search. Your 2018 class is lost easily. But the real damage is that the turmoil would significantly damage your 2019 and 2020 classes.

mkfgator
    Participant

For once, I’d like to see what evidence the UT fans have to accuse a guy the FBI, local police, Penn State, Ohio State, Tampa Bay and Rutgers missed.I didn’t realize statements on Twitter are now officially recognized as trustworthy by the federal evidence code. Last I checked,there is not a shred of evidence Schiano did anything. I think if someone is going to call a man a ped, he better have the evidence to back up that kind of hideous judgment instead of just claiming he was on the coaching staff. In the meantime, if this thing is tied up in the courts, how could UT hire anyone else? A court could rule UT is obligated to Schiano. In the least, UT needs to know how much to pay him before it makes an offer to another coach.So UT could end up paying 3 buyouts.Given how UT has mishandles this thing, and thrown Schiano under the bus and into the river, he would be motivated to screw things up further for UT.

mtn2top
    Participant

It can only get worse under mob rule.

vulcan_alex
    Participant

I did not follow this that closely. I think that the allegations were very weak and perhaps were withdrawn. I would never support anybody associated with either abuse of people or covering it up, nor not reporting it. I thought it was just a rumor. I though he would be a very good choice for UT.

Gators93
      Participant

Their real objection was that he wasn’t a big enough name. They were looking for an excuse.

mtn2top
    Participant

It’s way out of line to associate Schiano with Sandusky in that way, just because he was on Paterno’s staff. If you don’t like a coach fine. Character assassination is taking things too far.

CROCS
    Participant

If I was the AD at UT I would tender my resignation. The non-support to what had to be some sort of deliberate decision making process and then bending to fans ‘moral outrage’ should be intolerable. Calling the UT football program a dumpster fire at this point is a compliment.

Gators93
    Participant

Here is proof that the Schiano revolt had nothing to do with anything at Penn State. Gundy gave a scholarship and played as a freshman an athlete that admitted to sleeping with a 12 year old girl as a senior in high school after Texas rescinded their scholarship. This was always about them feeling they were better than Schiano.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-orange-outrage-mike-gundys-recruitment-chris-collins-031145429.html

Gators93
    Participant

Even Dave Doeren turned them down. At this point, they should just remove the interim tag from Hoke. He’s better than anyone they can get.

redhatgator
    Participant

THIS IS SO FUN TO WATCH. WHAT A DUMPSTER FIRE LOL! REALLY, HOW MANY MORE “NO’S” DOES IT TAKE BEFORE THE VOLS UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NOT A “BIG” DEAL? Pretty sad… when you get turned down everyday by supposed “lesser school” coaches… Maybe it’s time to reach out to Les… He’s interested…

youneverknow
    Participant

Don’t forget SOS confronting him at the SEC meetings when lamey lied about him.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.