Gators projected to win 8 football games in 2018

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Gator-6 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

ESPN Football Power Index Projected Wins for 2018:

Georgia – 10.9
    Alabama – 10.8
    Auburn – 9.1
    Mississippi State – 8.4
    Florida – 8.1
    Texas A&M – 7.4
    Mizzou – 7.3
    South Carolina – 7.2
    Ole Miss – 6.3
    LSU – 6.2
    Arkansas – 5.9
    Tennessee – 5.8
    Kentucky – 5.4
    Vanderbilt – 3.9

What do you think? Will the Gators win more than 8, less than or is 8 about right?

Gator-6
    Participant

Really appreciate your providing this info, Arnold. I have been saying ever since the regime change that 8 regular season wins + a decent bowl victory would send the right signal, anything better would be icing on the cake. If we can do that in DM’s first season, then watch recruiting classes improve and we will be significant again within 3 years. After that, there’s no reason we don’t return to being a championship team.

Al Bundy
    Participant

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. We still have pretty much the same roster as last year’s 4-8 team. New coaching doesn’t turn 2* and 3* athletes into 5* athletes, but hopefully it can at least get those players to play to their full potential so we can beat the teams we’re supposed to beat every year.

Gator-6
    Participant

Nicely put, Al. No shame losing close to Georgia, for now anyway, but come on. Mizzou?

GAGator
    Participant

8 wins — a fair estimate. Mcelwain left the program in terrible shape on his way to collecting millions for nothing.

gatorgi70x7
    Participant

”You may say I’m a dreamer. But I’m NOT the only one.” -John Lennon.
    Florida could, I’m NOT saying they should, but could be 7-0 going into U.G.A. game on 10/27/’18. Florida could lose that game, fall out of S.E.C. East championship race, and still win the next 4 for an 11-1 season, not too bad! As F.S.U. needs to be humbled by U.F., AGAIN! (See: 52-20 young people). And ‘IF’ U.F. beats U.G.A., well then, it’s ON!
    8-4 is the WORST U.F. could do, if EVERYONE stays relatively healthy all year.
    Go Gators! Just do it!

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Agree on potentially being 7-0 going into the UGa game. I think the pivotal game is Kentucky. While they are getting more and more due for a win, i don’t see it happening this year in the Swamp. FSU struggled last year but they still have a sizable overall talent gap over us right now. I think it will be competitive, but see them winning by about 4 in Talibanhassee.

We should not expect more than 8 wins. That would be a solid start. But yeah, … 11-2 overall with a bowl win is a possibility and would be a great start for Mullen and Co.

Gator-6
    Participant

I like the way you think, gatorgi.

Homer J
    Participant

16-0
    No reason to run and hide – we will beat UGA so bad that they’ll give us two victories.

Our line and backs should be good enough to win every game. We will have a good defense to start the year but they will get better as the year goes on.

Gator-6
    Participant

Now that’s some positive thinking there, Homer!

mtn2top
    Participant

Winning 8 games would be quite an accomplishment for a team changing nearly everything. That’s optimistic from my perspective.

Gator-6
    Participant

mtn2top….well, you know I sure as hell respect your opinion, and it is all subjective at this point….but man, something is in the air for next year. I can taste it, so 8-4 is about as conservative as I can be. Heck, Eugenio says 11-1!

mtn2top
      Participant

I’m as excited about this Gator football season as any in the past. It’s all about reasonable expectations. I’ll need to see more of this team, especially the critical QB position and the pace of implementation for Mullen’s system before expecting a higher win total.

One thing that the last decade has shown us as Gators is how difficult it is to field an effective offense. Dan Mullen is very likely to be successful at UF, but it is not going to happen overnight. There’s so much room for improvement to get into the top 100 ranked offenses that any more than 8 wins seems very ambitious in the preseason.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

We should be favored to win 9 games and dogs in 3 (LSU, UGA, and @FSU). Will the 4th loss be @UT or @MSU?

Gator-6
    Participant

Sly, hopefully neither one! But if pressed, I’d have to say UT. Damnit.

Sly Sylvester
    Participant

So let’s assume this team meets expectations and go 8-4 with losses to LSU, UGA, @FSU, and @UT. As we are making predictions, let’s take it one step further. What do you think will be Gator Nation’s emotional state and sentiment, in general, at the end of the season?

Gator-6
    Participant

Now we’re at the crux of the matter, Sly. I think there are basically 3 tiers to the GatorNation now. 1st, the traditional, diehard Gators. usually a bit older and certainly more mature. This I think is the majority, and has realistic expectations. If we go 8-4, win a decent bowl game, and place in the final top-70 for offensive and defensive markers….they will be delighted and buy in. 2nd, the burned out Gators, who feel betrayed and have lost their fire…so many false superlatives over the last 7 long years that they refuse to believe “improvement” until it is shown to them. Under these conditions, 8-4, bowl win, top-70 markers, etc….about half will be convinced and about half will still take a wait and see attitude. In the 3rd tier, the “lost” and “angry” Gators……a definite but palpable minority, nothing short of a national championship will do for them, and they’d probably see that as a fluke anyway. Some we identify as “trolls” probably fall here, but they are still lost causes anyway.

So as I’ve said before, you’re one guy I would not want to get into a public debate with….you’re too logical! Just accept these as my thoughts only….

mtn2top
    Participant

In year one of a new regime you can lose to any SEC team. Based on the early schedule the UK and UT games will be challenging. I want to see the Charleston Southern game to check progress on the offense. How fast can we progress?

Even though we play UK at home, they have coaching continuity on their sideline. Been around for a lot of these games and many have been nail-biters. This one is very early for the Gators in the transition process. With some offense of their own, Cats have a good chance to win this one as we could struggle. I see this as the obvious swing game to get nine wins this season.

I’m less worried about the UT game and the road with both teams in year one coaching transitions. It’s very difficult to go into Neyland and get a win any season. A lot may depend on the results of the UK game.

Gator-6
    Participant

Excellent analysis, mtn2top. I’m worried about Kentucky too, mainly because they are a sleeper. I worry more tho about UT, but we’ll see….it may be a bridge too far for them this year since they’ve got even more of a rebuild to do than we have. However, they have a lot of promise in Pruitt….and of course Phil Fulmer speaks for himself….so I worry most about the out-years. One thing for certain tho….the East should see a trajectory rebound starting this year, and that’s good for everybody. Lots of unanswered questions remain about the O-line, but I do think if that piece comes into better focus, we’ll see one of these QBs develop to the next level pretty quickly. Which one? I don’t have a clue, but if one does then the offense might really be OK. If that’s the case, then no telling how many wins we might wind up with, as long as one of them is over FSU!

mtn2top
    Participant

That’s a good way to look at this season. Unexpected victories are some of the sweetest.

There’s always been talent at Florida. It’s been a lack of consistency at style and coaching that’s crippled the offense. Eight or nine wins in year one of a coaching transition would be a great result.

How quickly can Mullen turn things around? Most people don’t realize the nuances of the spread offense and how it changes different things such as zone blocking for offensive linemen and simple reads for many other positions including the QB. That’s a big transition with only had a handful of practices and a Spring game to implement.

We’ll see a fairly simple version of Meyer/Mullen spread offense this season. The key will be the level of execution with fewer plays.

A dual-threat capability at QB is key to the spread. Don’t under-estimate the importance of a read and run QB in handicapping who ends up the starter.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

I REALLY hope we see both Franks and Trask in those 1st 3 games.

mtn2top
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both QBs in the opener. After that one of them should emerge as the starter.

You have to have consistency at QB to get anything out of an offense, especially in the first year. Based on the O&B game, Franks may have an edge. Things could change with the full contact of a game.

Everybody’s learning. I wouldn’t count Emory Jones out of the mix. If either or both of the favorites stumble or are injured he will play. Jones is a 4-star, dual threat QB that could easily see the field as a freshman. It’s just a matter of time.

Eight games seems reasonable in the glow of spring. How many points can we generate in year one? That translates to high-level QB play in a spread offense.

NotQyteNeo
      Participant

Jones was a highly-recruited 4-star dual-threat QB? – WOW!! TY for the info. I NEVER could have known that. 🙂

You can’t gauge anyone vs Charleston Southern. Mullen can probably determine a starter for the UK game, but we still need to see Trask, and yes, Jones if possible vs UK. I fear Mullen will lock Franks down as the starter before we get a sufficient chance to see what Trask(or Jones) can do. Based on Trask’s lack of reps(last yr in HS and 1st in college), he seems to actually be better than Franks from what I’ve seen. We’ll only know if he gets to face an actually good defensive team. UK has a pretty good D. I just fear us locking in on Franks too soon.

DrG8r
    Participant

Have been on vacation for a couple of months. UK and UT will both be breaking in new QB’s, so the Gator offense will either give the game away or win. I anticipate a great deal of running and easy pass opportunities. I don’t see the Gators being relevant against the Dawgs, unless the QB has a breakout year. I think the Gators have a decent 1st season under DM.

Gator-6
    Participant

Hey DrG8r…..I think we’re all seeing it from basically the same camera angle. But I think we catch the Dawgs this year, if and only if our guys can contain and channel their affect for 60 minutes and play solid SEC football like is within the length of their cable tow (if you get my meaning). I think definitely we will catch FSU stepping on their poncho liners if we do the same thing.

DrG8r
    Participant

Gator-6, Beating GA is possible, since it is a rivalry game. The Gators probably match up well with GA except at QB, and that’s why I fear a loss in Jax. I think most of us see that the Gators could win against every team they play in 2018. I expect many of the games could be close, and the losses will be due to QB play (Obviously, I am not making a reach there.)

Gator-6
    Participant

You make a good point about the match-ups c GA, DrG8r. I think the fly-in-the-ointment tho is how well Grantham can improve the defense by then. Could turn out to be quite a surprise. I’m counting on an improved OL as well, and obviously, somebody to finally step up at QB.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.