Game 6 Thread: Texas A&M at Florida

This topic contains 32 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  NotQyteNeo 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Arnold Feliciano
    Keymaster

Must-win Saturday at The Swamp. The loser will have a two-game losing streak and facing tough questions and potentially difficult decisions the rest of the way.
    What’s your take?

Damien83
    Participant

Hopefully we pull something out of our @$$.

vulcan_alex
    Participant

Based on a very limited sample, I would say a miracle is needed to even be competitive. They gave Bama some trouble, we are not Bama.

david smith
    Participant

It’s 3-3 right now. Let’s hope for lightning to call the game.

david smith
    Participant

We are not a tough team. Goolsby is so easy to get off his feet. He’s a senior tight end and doesn’t break tackles. The only offensive player that consistently breaks tackles is Davis.

I’d give up a lot of speed for some football players.

Not sure why Franks likes to take a loss running out of bounds instead of throwing it away but that is just completely anti-successful.

gator67
    Participant

Reading some of these entries, it is easy to think that the Gators should have simply forfeited the game. I have two observations at this point (way too early to know the outcome, of course): 1) LSU is obviously better than many thought since they came back from a 20-point deficit and beat Auburn, one of the teams that many have thought could compete with Bama; and 2) the Gators nearly tripled TAM’s offense in the first half, suggesting that they are not quite as woeful as widely believed. It also was a great first-half defensive effort. I don’t know who will win this very tight game, but the Gators are clearly competitive so far.

dfwgator
    Participant

MAC….IT’S OVER!!! PACK YOUR BAGS!!!!

david smith
    Participant

Nice moral victory. As has already been observed, LSU obviously is good now. TA&M must be very good because they hung in there with BAMA. It’ll be very interesting to see how the rest of this season unfolds because we have a very passive coach and we’re about to face a coach and team who makes a practice to step on your face. There is a good chance we won’t be going bowling this year. We won’t be favored to win be UGA, USCe or FSU(another coach that will step on our face). We also have to beat Missouri which is definitely not a given. So we will have to do something we haven’t done yet this year; beat a team that has comparable talent. We are now measured by our losses and not victories. But hey, we’re competitive. That’s good enough.

At least we don’t have to play BAMA again this year.

gator67
      Participant

I don’t believe anyone has said being competitive is good enough. I certainly did not. But some posters said that the Gators would not even be competitive, so I pointed out that this was not the case. No fan is happy with a loss, but I also recognize that this is a handicapped team that has much to learn. It is also the case that I am rooting for them to win in the coming games, not hoping that they will fall flat so that the coach will be fired.

Do I expect them to beat Georgia? No. Georgia appears to be the better team this year. Do I think that they will have a chance? Yes. They need to play with the confidence that they can do it. I will be watching to see whether they improve through the rest of the season since this will be a good indicator of how well they are coached. Of course, it will help if they don’t keep losing key players to injury.

dfwgator
    Participant

A&M played horrible.

gator67
    Participant

Whether Mac will ultimately succeed is not clear, but it is highly unlikely that he will be fired over this kind of loss. He almost certainly will be the Gators’ coach next year, however unhappy this makes fans.

The second half performance of the Gators’ offense was not very good. The Aggies made adjustments that the Gators did not sufficiently counter, it appeared. But I think that it also is a sign that the young Gators are still learning how to deal with critical moments. It didn’t help that Kirk was given a great chance to make a big punt return. That was a key play at a crucial point in the game.

Bottom line is that the Gators had a chance but could not finish for the second week in a row. At this point, the best hope is that they are learning some valuable lessons that will lead to better results in the future.

david smith
    Participant

Here’s a couple of positives. Davis is a hell of a running back and would probably be a Freshman all american first team if he was playing for any other SEC team. At least Franks didn’t run out of bounds on his long run. I think he caught the defense off guard when he cut back. I find it amazing that as bad as our O-line is our running backs don’t cut back much. They often just follow the line to a tackle.

Franks makes mistakes that most quarterbacks just don’t make at this level even as Freshmen. He’s athletically gifted but it takes more than that to be a qb. When he all but one time looks to run out of bounds on 3rd down, you know that winning isn’t the #1 priority. I’ve never seen this from a qb especially a young qb who tends to be more reckless. I think of that qb for LSU or the qb of TA&M, they ran of bounds on 3rd down only when they had the first down otherwise they’d take on our defenders and always win. Franks doesn’t throw the ball away, takes way too many sacks, stares down his receivers, and is will to take a yardage loss when he doesn’t have to. Just not sure that you teach some of this stuff to a player when it’s so clear what is supposed to be done. There is no nuance here. He just runs out of bounds with a 4-5 yard loss as if that was the play called. No idea where he is on the field and what down it is.

Then you have players who make big mistakes and when they come to the sideline MAC talks to them with kid gloves all the time. Never seen a coach at this level have no intensity. Muschump was a lunatic and this guy is the other end, no passion. I’m very glad Michigan let us have Reeves because we’d have no linebackers at this point. All our other players at that position should be labeled as chipbacks because they can’t make solo tackles. They get the majority of their stats by chipping in for tackles that are already complete. Think of that play where A&M qb ran right up the middle for a touchdown on a 3rd and 9 while the linebackers dropped 5 yards deep into the end zone. They didn’t even touch the qb until he crossed the goal line. No instincts.

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

I say give MZ a shot. Franks had his shot and didn’t get it done. It’s clear he is not ready now, that’s not to say he won’t be ready down the line. We had 6 seconds left before the half with the ball within Piniero’s range and he lobs a pass down the field to run out the clock. He should have quickly zipped the ball to the sidelines to pick up a few more yards so Eddie can try a field goal. Clearly, the game has not slowed down enough for him to have the necessary situational awareness. I’m not saying MZ will do better because no one knows for sure but I think it’s time to give him a shot.

gator67
      Participant

“Never seen a coach at this level have no intensity.” You should ask Kelvin Taylor about Mac’s intensity. Do you think that maybe he decided to tone things down after the fallout over that? This tell us nothing about his intensity in practice.

mtn2top
    Participant

That was a tough loss. The team played hard and had a chance for last minute heroics. We had no offense when we needed it the most. Just one or two first downs late in the fourth quarter would have iced a close, mostly defensive game.

Defense played well enough for the win, still no turnovers. Special teams was not so special. Both offenses were led by freshmen and sputtered.

Franks is good, but green and learning. He had a spectacular run but his decision making was slow and passing late in the play for most of the game. He’s only started a couple of college games. It’s understandable that he might hesitate to throw, which puts the timing off for passing plays. He’s also a little too quick to run out of the pocket. These are tough lessons for any freshman playing QB in the SEC.

A lot of credit goes to the Aggie defense for limiting the Gator run game and keeping a good pass rush on Franks.

We played the # 2 and #3 SEC West teams at home and lost close. We have two weeks to heal and get ready for the scrap in Jax. If we get Toney, Cleveland and a few other guys back you never know what might happen.

It’s ridiculous to talk about firing Coach Mac.

Black Dahlia
    Participant

McElwain apologists need to STFU. The team sucks and he sucks. Keep him and the team will also suck next year. Is that what you want?

gator67
      Participant

Presumably, we should all let you do our thinking for us?

Gators93
    Participant

To me it’s not so much winning vs losing as the quality of product we are putting on the field. Even weeks we win we are boring. It’s like we put ourselves in position to lose. For all the excuses being made, the last two weeks are losses we would have never had at home during the Spurrier & Meyer years. Even during the Zook years (who I thought was a horrible defensive coordinator & a horrible coach) when the “swamp mystique” supposedly disappeared, he only lost one home game against an unranked opponent in 3 years (Ole Miss). All his other losses a home were against ranked teams.

Most people either forget or are too young to remember what Florida football was before Spurrier and what it became after. Before SOS we had a losers mentality. We made lots of excuses and said maybe next year. With SOS that all changed. We had a winners mentality. We expected to win every game, and would almost never lose at home (5 losses in 12 years all to ranked opponents). Over the last decade we have gone back to the pre-SOS years and a losers mentality. People expect to the Gators lose and make excuses. We say maybe next year. Very sad. It’s not just that we are not a good team, but we aren’t a good program. We weren’t always one of college football’s top programs. Spurrier did that. It’s like all the work he to get the program to an elite status has been erased.

david smith
    Participant

McElwain has no problem blaming the players for the loss. Coaches aren’t the people playing the game so how can he blame them? McElwain blames the punter who kicks the h*ll out of the ball because the other 10 guys can’t cover a punt. He’d rather the punter kick the ball 40 yards and high for a fair catch than 65 yards far with the returner having a chance to return the ball. He doesn’t try to block a punt because he’s afraid there will be a penalty. He doesn’t allow blocking for a punt return because he’s afraid there will be a penalty which they get anyway even when there is absolutely no return. He blames Davis for running the ball 35 yards for a TD and a 2 score lead with 2 minutes left in a game because he’s afraid the other team will drive the ball down the length of the field in less than 2 minutes for a touchdown, recover an onside kick, and score another td. McElwain doesn’t have a winner’s mentality. The wins are never comfortable. We have never in 2.5 years established depth on offense because we never get up by enough points to put the backups in for any length of time. The instinct to force the win isn’t there. It’s always, “Hang on to the win.” Our whole mindset is to make fewer mistakes than the other team. We don’t force anything on offense or defense. We wait for the other team to make a mistake. We throw short passes and count on athleticism to make a play. No great program has this mentality. BAMA doesn’t have a qb who is a great passer but they throw it all over the field trying to make plays. BAMA has a dline which is ranked better by everybody in the world better than ours but they rush the qb with 5 players at least 2/3 of the time. We only rush 4 players period. Our coach doesn’t want to lose as opposed to wanting to win. McElwain has the perfect personality for a fishing show.

mtn2top
    Participant

Even when we squeak out a win the same people complain. With a loss it’s a literally a “fire” storm. We keep firing head coaches and this program will never get it’s footing and a top 5 recruiting class will melt away. We will be just like Tennessee.

That seems to be what some of these detractors want. I’ve been a Gator for a long time and seen results from patience and hard work. There’s no instant results and every other team also needs and wants to win. All the playing experience for these freshmen will pay dividends in the immediate future.

gator67
      Participant

Perspective is hard to come by for people who have been spoiled by success and somehow think that they are entitled to winning the SEC most years — just because they are Gators.

No Gator fan is happy with a 3-3 record. Everyone wants to win. But without some patience and willingness to go through some rough periods, things aren’t likely to improve. I have written many times that I do not know whether Mac can do the job, but I do believe that anyone who is handed the responsibility deserves a chance to show what he can do. It is his third year, so we would normally expect to see clear results by now. The mind-boggling, selfish, and short-sighted wrong-doing of nine players, including the two main offensive weapons, along with some key injuries, has made it more difficult to make that judgment yet. As a practical matter, Mac will get at least another year to show what he can do. As a matter of human decency, he should get that opportunity. Firing him under these circumstances may not scare away every potential coach, but it would be likely to make a number of them think that they could not expect to receive fair treatment from the AD if they came.

dfwgator
        Participant

Maybe if we stopped hiring mediocre coaches and then rewarding them after two seasons and making it financially unfeasible to fire them afterwards.

Auburn had no problem firing Chizik, even though he won them an NC. It takes at least three years to evaluate if a coach is going to work out in the long run. Rewarding McElwain for winning two SEC East titles was asinine, considering that the rest of SEC East wouldn’t even have been able to compete in the MAC.

cvillegatr68
    Participant

This team certainly has consistency, and that is due to the coaching. They are consistently mediocre with periods of possibility, quickly stifled. They consistently pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

Why didn’t Mac challenge that bad placement of the ball by the refs when Brandon Powell clearly was right on the first down marker? Instead he put the offense out there to do a really tricky play to get the A&M defense to jump offside on 4th down, taking a 5 yard penalty for the superb acting, and then a bad punt, nearly blocked, put the defense in the hole again.

I don’t think Mac is up to the job (not smart enough) of being head coach at this level. He shows no sign of learning. He’s consistent, just like Masschump, who is also showing that he still hasn’t learned.

Shouldn’t he have some responsibility for have a criminal conspiracy by 10 players on his team?

gator67
      Participant

I have seen many who refer to Mac’s responsibility for the nine players who have been suspended (the tenth missing player at the beginning of the season, Marcell Harris, was injured rather than suspended). In a sense, he is the captain of the ship and thus has a sort of responsibility. But what sort is this? How responsible are others for the actions of their adult children — or even adolescent for that matter? If Mac had delayed in responding to the wrongdoing, then I can see a direct responsibility here. But he suspended them very quickly. The transgressions occurred starting in July, and they were suspended before the beginning of the season. I’m not sure what more any coach would be expected to do since none of them are going to hold their players hands 24/7.

NotQyteNeo
    Participant

Time to fire MediocreWain and bring “The Mayor of Gainesville” – Charlie Strong, home.

gator67
      Participant

Because he had so much success at Texas?

NotQyteNeo
        Participant

Just like Saban at Miami, Strong was a bad fit for Texas. He had no ties there whatsoever. He dominated with Florida talent at Louisville and now he’s doing the same in South Florida. NOBODY can recruit the state of Florida like Strong. We’d have top-3 classes every year with him as head coach. Even though he’s a defensive guy, his offenses are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Mediocrewain. He was a large part of those great recruiting classes under Zook and Meyer. Hence why Meyer called him the Mayor of Gainesville. MEYER said they needed to hire him in 2010.

NotQyteNeo
        Participant

Then, of course, there was Strong’s 14-point underdog Louisville Cardinals dominating 11-1 Florida in the 2013 Sugar Bowl.

gator67
          Participant

Maybe Strong will prove to be a great recruiter in Florida, but at the moment he is benefiting from Taggert’s recruits. The Sugar Bowl was at least as much about the players on the field as the coaches. Strong had an amazing qb on his team (as he does now), and the Gators were as shaky a team as I’ve seen with a record of 11-1. Many of the Gators were also more interested in moving on to the next level than playing in the Sugar Bowl.

I like Strong, but I do not think he would be a sure bet to succeed at Florida.

NotQyteNeo
            Participant

We’ll probably give Mac one more year even after this season’s debacle. Some have mentioned Scott Frost, but he’s probably going to be just starting a power-5 school next year and likely will not be available in 2019 when UF will be looking. Plus, I would not be surprised at all to see Frost make the NFL jump in the next 4-5 years

Strong would probably be an option then(post 2018 season). He would have UF back at the top of the SEC-East at the least, with consistent top-5(probably top-3) recruiting classes. I know he loves Gainesville and seems to be happy coaching in college and not likely interested in a pro gig. We could have a very successful program for 10-20 years with him as HC.

Gators93
        Participant

I love Strong, but I’m not sure he’d be a good fit at Florida. More importantly, I’m not convinced that he would want to come to Florida at this point. He’s at a good place for him right now. After a few years there, that might change.

McElwain will probably be the coach through the 2018 season, and if at that time the AD decides to make a move, the coaching landscape could be completely different than it is right now.

Sly Sylvester
      Participant

Hope you didn’t just jinxed Strong. A few weeks ago, certain Florida fans were advocating we replace McElwain with Durkin or Mullen because they were doing well at the time. They promptly lost their next two games. Down went their stock along with any mention of becoming the next UF head coach. The point is that the flavor of the week will change with each passing week. The pasture is rarely greener on the other side.

SoCalGator83
    Participant

Strong should have been given the job when Urban bailed out. It’s been a nightmare ever since.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.